Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi from Stirling

SirFoo

Hi everyone,

I'm fairly new to this astronomy business but I am really enjoying it! So far I've mostly been viewing by the naked eye and I'm amazed at at all the things up there that I haven't really looked at before. My head had been firmly at ground level for over 30 years. Armed with my mobile phone and google skymap (which is amazing) I have been managing to track all the main constellations. I've also managed to borrow my father in law's telescope and have been able to view Mars and Saturn. Saturn in particular was inspirational. I was wondering about the telescope though. I'm not sure if it's any good or if it may be better to purchase soemthing else. I have listed below the main specs of the scope. I have read recently that the smallest mirror for general use is 150mm and noticed that mine was 114mm. Should I keep going with the one that I've got? I have to say that Tasco is not a make that seems to be mentioned in this forum!

Thanks and looking forward to writing many more posts.

DD

Tasco

114mm mirror(4.5")

900mm focal length

H20mm (Low Power)

H12.5mm (Medium Power)

SR4mm (High Power)

675Xmagnification

Moonfilter

Hi DD,

Size isnt everything! Mines a 3.5" reflector and I love it! Astronomy really is a case of its not what you've got but what you do with it! My dad lives up by Port Mentith, the skies are great! So you picked a good place to start!

Zane

Thanks for the advice Zane. Might just stick with the Tasco. I'm on the outskirts of Stirling so there is a bit of light pollution compared to Menteith but I'm not complaining! Although the last few days weather has been horrible. I'm hopeful that I can see Mercury and Venus soon. Cheers!

DD

Hi Foo and welcome to the group.

A lot can be done with a small aperture depending on the type of scope - and of course they are very affordable. However - £ for £ a refractor of the same size will cost a lot more. Usually as you increase aperture you gather more light and get better views and sharper pics (eg if you're into AP).

You would see this quite markedly in a 150mm which generally falls within the budget of a lot of beginners these days. On top of aperture, quality of optics is important (especially at higher magnification), and then there's addition of motors and choice of mounts.

If you're thinking about upgrading I'd suggest joining a local astro soc or going to a star party to appraise yourself of what's available. You'd have a lot of fun and get to look through some awesome gear for free.

Tasco's don't get mentioned much cos they're regarded as kinda basic - but most you'll find have been through that stage likley having been "Tasco inspired" like yourself.

Hope that make sense and helps a bit.

Cheers :)

Nothing wrong with 114 mm as a first scope. Joining a local Astro soc. is a great way to learn more about what the different types / sizes of telescopes can do. It will also allow you to find out what type of objects interest you most, so that when you do upgrade your scope you will have a better idea of what to go for.

Welcome to SGL,

Rik

Thanks to everyone who replied. Taking the advice given I've decided to stick with the Tasco, my binoculars and my eyes for the present moment. Weather's looking better here today so hopefully it might be a good night to view Mercury and Venus.

DD

Hi DD,

Welcome to the forum. :)

Staying with your current 'scope for the moment is a good idea, but, upgrade those basic eyepieces to something better, like these Sky-Watcher Plössls. The 6.3, 10, 17 and 26mm ones would give you a good range of magnifications. And for 20 quid a pop you can't go wrong.

Later on, when you have more experience and a better idea of the sort of observing that appeals to you (solar system / deep sky objects / astro-photography) get yourself a 'scope that is specially suited to it.

hi dd welcome to sgl ! wow tasco 114mm reflector i had one of those for around 20 years or so.nothing wrong with it at all,i think manufacturing as moved on at such a rate that for the price i paid for mine in the mid eighties (form my mums club book) you now can get a larger apperture for similar price.

i changed mine for a brand new seben 6" reflector WORST SCOPE I HAVE EVER OWNED!

i can remember many excellant nights observing the planets and stars with the tasco

i even saw halleys comet in 86 through it! great memories

as for the x675 mag forget it you can not use that sort of magnification on any scopes.

dont under use your binoculars they are great for just laying back and scanning the skies.

Staying with your current 'scope for the moment is a good idea, but, upgrade those basic eyepieces to something better, like these Sky-Watcher Plössls. The 6.3, 10, 17 and 26mm ones would give you a good range of magnifications. And for 20 quid a pop you can't go wrong.

Thanks for the advice. I'll buy a couple of these to get started. Do you think a barlow lense would be worth buying?

Depends on your budget. And bear in mind that some people just can't get on with Barlows.

Having said that, the Tal 2x Barlow seems well thought of.

This would let you cover the same range of magnifications with only two EPs (10 & 26mm), or fill the "gaps" in between the four (6.3, 10, 17 & 26mm).

Mind you the mag you'd get from using the Barlow with the 6.3mm EP (286x) is way above what your scope is "theoretically" capable of (usually considered as twice the aperture in mm - 114mm x 2 = 228x) and what the atmospheric seeing conditions normally allow (~200x).

Instead of a Barlow you could think of adding the 32mm Plössl to your shopping list - an EP to give you a reasonably wide True Field of View (~1.8º in your 'scope).

PS

Check that your 'scope can accept EPs with 1.25" diameter barrels, the most common of the "standard" sizes (the ones I've recommended are all 1.25").

You may find that your Tasco can only take 0.965" EPs, an older and rarer "standard".

If that's the case you would need to buy a 1.25" to 0.965" Hybrid Diagonal to use the more modern and easily available EPs.

Welcome,

JOIN YOUR LOCAL ASTRONOMY CLUB!!

Stirling Astronomical Society

they are very good, formal to a point, but i have been to one or two of their meetings and they have some excellent members. They will be more than able to point you towards a good telescope and allow you to sample some before you buy.

plus the observatory is worth a visit.

Alasdair

Thanks David for your information on EPs. I've measured my EPs and I think that they are 1.25 in diameter so I will purchase a few of these and see if they make any difference to the scope.

Alasdair, I have already contacted SAS about intoductory courses that they run. I'll try that first and try and get a feel for the place before I decide to join. The Central Scotland Observers Group also looks intriguing.

Thanks to all for their advice and kind comments.

DD

Welcome on board!

I started with a 50mm spectacle lens in a cardboard tube! You've got to start somewhere... Nortons Star Atlas....

I remember well the Stirling area. In 1966 I set up the Clackmannanshire Astronomical Society in Alloa.... Ahhh those were the days!

Ken

Archived