Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hey Everyone!

snapper

Hi Everyone,

Real basics newbie here!

I used to be really into astronomy when I was younger but for whatever reason never kept with it! However this Christmas hubby got me a 'proper big' (to me!) telescope, having only ever previously had one of those very cheap small red ones!, have really started to get back into it. He has been great on setting the scope up as the more I read the instructions the more it confused me! But slowly getting there and cant wait until I can set it up and find stuff on my own.

Trying to learn all the stars, constellations etc again as could only remember orion, plough and ursa minor!

Since Christmas have learned a few more! :) and have been looking at a few things, including using the scope tonight seeing Jupiter for the first time ever!!! Ok, it might not be a big thing for other people on here but for me it was massive and cool and fantastic and has given me a massive bite back into astronomy again! I even saw some smaller 'dots' around Jupiter which I can only assume was some moons?! And a great view of M42 as well.

Looking forward to warmer weather coming so can stay out a bit longer before feeling like an ice cube :eek:

Lots of questions may be coming your way so be warned! hehe

Charlene

Welcome Charlene. Seeing Jupiter through a scope is always a great, whatever your experience, and you certainly spotted the moons (Galileo only had a scope of about 30 mm). Whenever I go out at night with the scope, I visit a series of "golden oldies" (M42 is always on the list) before attempting anything new. In spring, when the weather is warmer, have a go at the Coma and Virgo cluster of galaxies. I often just sweep through the region, not bothering to identify Messier or NGC numbers, and enjoy the sights.

Thanks Everyone!

Hubby got me a SkyWatcher Explorer 150p (hey, look at me knowing my scope!!! :) )

Well after seeing Jupiter I had a look and said "hey we will be able to see Saturn as well if we stay up for a bit!" ....... that was a no go, but hopefully the more I can find my way around the sky, the less I will require hubbys assistance to find things in the scope! So hoping and wishing that the sky is clear at the weekend so we can get out and look at it, and clear as much as possible so I can get more practice in!!!

Mmmmmmmmmmm............ me thinks the bug is well and truely back!

Charlene

Hi Charlene - get Stellarium and/or Skyviewcafe (both free) for a great way of finding your way around the sky - both give you co-ord's and loads of interesting info, and views from your location. Won't be long before you don't need hubby any more lol

Welcome to the group.

Hi charlene and welcome,

it wont take too long (just as soon as the clouds decide to move on) before you start picking you way around again and seeing some great sights.

regards ron.s.g

ps just get you hubby to look through the scope now and again and i'm sure he will start taking an interest

Hiya, I think we are both in a similar situation. Its nice to know that there are others that have rekindled an interest in astronomy since christmas!! I recommend the book "turn left at orion" it is a great book giving you lots of interesting things to see and how to navigate to them, I can also recommend a good sky atlas such as the phillips one. If you like software etc stellarium is a excellent free programme and is a good way to learn the skies whilst waiting for the skies to clear. Welcome to SGL its a great forum and happy viewing :) here's to clear skies

Archived