Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What if Betelgeuse went SuperNova

Catanonia

I wouldn't have thought street lights or security lighting would have any effects on plant growth.....its just the wrong sort of light, plants are tuned in to certain wavelengths of light emitted by the sun.

You've never been to a canabis factory then? Artificial lights will certainly assist plant growth. They are used in all ranges of horticulture.

(NB - my only connection with canabis factories is that they are on the rise in rental properties in the SE and I have to deal with the claims for property damge that arise from them!)

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yellow sodium street lights aren't blue spectrum so useless for plant growth, but metal halide would work well. It's blue spectrum you need for growth, and red spectrum for flowering... I have grown peppers under lights in the past (but not street lights).

• 8 months later...

The question "What if Betelgeuse went SuperNova" is a viable one.

The responses here are a complete waste of time.

Yet another deadend website...

See, this is the problem with the internet.

One does a search for information only to get a deluge of useless, outdated sites full of misinformation posted by kids, teens and people who have zero knowledge on the subject.

Back to my search

A side note;

The use of the English language today is appalling.

It takes little effort to reread what you've written.

If in doubt, use a spell checker.

You wouldn't want to mistaken as an idiot...or would you?

The question "What if Betelgeuse went SuperNova" is a viable one.

The responses here are a complete waste of time.

Yet another deadend website...

See, this is the problem with the internet.

One does a search for information only to get a deluge of useless, outdated sites full of misinformation posted by kids, teens and people who have zero knowledge on the subject.

Back to my search

A side note;

The use of the English language today is appalling.

It takes little effort to reread what you've written.

If in doubt, use a spell checker.

You wouldn't want to be mistaken as an idiot...or would you?

Indeed, I have highlighted your spelling & grammatical errors here, didn't require the internet for that one.

Just to add, I do not proclaim to be a great hand when it comes to writing, especially on forums. 9/10 times I am either in a rush or just to busy to be bothered :) However, if it's important and I feel it warrants the extra effort, then i'll do my best :)....atleast, can't dog anyone down for my lack of requirement for everything to be perfect.

What would be the expected peak magnitude of the Betelguese supernova?

My back-of-envelope calculations would place it at about -90, about 2 magnitudes brighter than SN1006 in Lupus.

Would it interfere that much with daily life? Other than possibly damages satellites and panic-fuelled riots, I can't think of many physical effects that Betelgeuse going supernova would have on us.

The numbers are based on Betelgeuse having an absolute magnitude of approx -6, and appearing as about ~0.5. Type II supernova are about ~15.5 or so, leaving it as an apparent magnitude of -9.0,

The numbers are based on Betelgeuse having an absolute magnitude of approx -6, and appearing as about ~0.5. Type II supernova are about ~15.5 or so, leaving it as an apparent magnitude of -9.0,

From memory, -15.5 is the absolute magnitude of SN1987A which was relatively low-luminosity for a type-II supernova (it also had a B3I blue supergiant progenitor, not a red supergiant, so possibly a bit of an oddball). I think -17 or so is more typical? Which would be an apparent magnitude a bit brighter than -10 for a distance of 200pc.

Back to the origanl topic... if the earth was unfortunate enough to be caught in the "beam" of a gamma ray burst, the high energy radiation would cause the formation of nitrous oxide and nitrogen dioxide..... the latter being a brownish gas so this quote

we'd be up to our necks in the brown stuff.

is pretty accurate.

Gamma ray bursts have been but forward as candidates for several mass extinction events in the geological record although never with entirely convincing evidence such that gamma ray bursts are not a widely accepted mechanism for any of the mass extinction events. The Ordovician extinction event is perhaps the best candidate for a GRB related extinction event, but the evidence is merely circumstantial.

Archived