Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What is it with clouds?

Kit-Fox

Now this just isnt fair, roudn by me for a while its been very cloudy or raining heavy so I havent had a chance to go out with my scope.

As soon as I get a damned cold though thesky is crystal clear and no clouds anywhere to be seen, nice & perfect observing conditions.

Naturally tho I've been keeping warm inside trying desperately to shake this cold that kept me up for most of the last 3 days & stopped me from eating much.

I am now firmly of the idea that those clouds are well aware of everything & are doing it just to spite me :D:)

yeah seems half of astronomy is watching clouds and reading weather reports. need to construct a bus sized leafblower and point it straight upwards :D

Hehe....good idea if we can get the entire population of the UK to do it...:)

I think that's what makes the hobby so fascinating.

It's character building.

Upon discovering that previously clear sky has turned opaque, already I have seen myself change from someone who flies into a hissy strop when after collimating, cleaning EPs, planning with star maps and letting the scope cool, to someone who simply shrugs her shoulders and silently lugs the scope back in, ready to start all over again on the next clear night...

having had to stay up all day after a night shift to look after the 5 month old dog i was looking forward to an hour or so of viewing jupiter, a nice slender moon and neptune.

so what happens ? blumming CLOUDS come over just as it's getting dark and with no break in sight. only good thing is they're home now so i can go to bed with a clear conscience that i'm not missing anything

It's the same for me and meteor showers. Clear skies until the peak and then WALLOP. If I'm lucky I'll get a clear sky the night before or after the peak and see 2 or 3.

I'm getting some Astro related stuff for Xmas so I'm going down to Ladbrokes to put money on a white Christmas.

The next full moon will be interesting. Conventional wisdom is that there will clear skies, but next time around there is a partial eclipse, which more or less guarantees cloud. Hmmm, gonna take some working out this one......

That does it, as soon as my cold shows the first signs of starting to clear up & get a little better what happens? Thats blumming right those clouds are back :D

I'm gonna go with campaigning for a new condition to be recognised - Astronomers Paranoia. We know those things are out to get us

EDIT: I'm not playing anymore, its just not fair damn it!

Archived