NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New scope arrived but a little upset.

So the new scope arrived but there seems to be a spot of dirt on the mirror:

http://www.wowstats.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/mirror.JPG

And also it looks a little dusty in general so I am thinking of returning it as it looks shop soiled and I was expecting brand new:

http://www.wowstats.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/general.JPG

Can anyone recommend where I can find a replacement in time for Christmas in case the shop I bought this from is not able to sort it out?

Thanks

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi. I've reduced the Image size to place here.

Is the mark just on the secondary, as It seems to be a small drop of water that has dried on there. You didn't sneeze on it accidentally did you:D. It is difficult to assess how bad it is from your picture, but if you're not happy with it, contact the dealer and explain why.

Ron.

post-13213-133877415296_thumb.jpg

From the photos it looks like it's one of these:

Reflectors - Skywatcher Heritage 130p Flextube

First Light Optics may be able to help as they carry those. I would certainly get on to your original supplier in the 1st instance though - from the pics it looks like the whole scope has received a shower which has dried off leaving marks on the body and one on the secondary mirror. I wonder if it is an ex-display model ?.

John

Is this supposed to be new? I've bought a second hand and an ex-demo scope that looked better than that.

Did you buy this from Telescope Planet by any chance? They were selling stuff off reduced a few months back because their warehouse got flooded. That could explain the watermarks - but then it should not be sold as new if it is soiled as a result of this. Otherwise, it must have got wet through being used outdoors, and being rained on. In which case it should not be sold as new, but either as ex-demo, a customer return, or second hand.

What condition was the packaging? I doubt it would be down to the courier. But sometimes things get left out in the rain - although it would have to get sodden to get through the packaging to the scope itself, and the box would be virtually falling apart.

If this was bought on eBay, raise a complaint if it was advertised as new and the ad did not specify the watermarks. That would be misselling, and you are protected under UK law.

M.

I understand your feelings but

1) Contact the seller first

2) It really will make no difference to viewing and it will get dirtier with use. If you want to prove to yourself how little it will matter calculate the area of the spot and the area of the mirror and you will see it is fractional!

3) It is difficult to tell from your photo where the mark is but may be a mark on the primary to allow collimation.

Overall it really won't make any difference but if you're not happy contact the seller.

2) It really will make no difference to viewing and it will get dirtier with use. If you want to prove to yourself how little it will matter calculate the area of the spot and the area of the mirror and you will see it is fractional!

3) It is difficult to tell from your photo where the mark is but may be a mark on the primary to allow collimation.

Overall it really won't make any difference but if you're not happy contact the seller.

I was thinking the same thing, are you sure it's not a reflection of the centre donut on the primary. Hit me across the head if I'm being insulting.

I agree, it may not affect performance. Being on the secondary I don't see how that would relate to a collimation ring on the primary. Looking at the other photo it is clear the scope has had water dry on it, which again may not affect performance and will happen sooner or later. However, that is what reduces the price of a second hand item against a new item. A soiled item is not worth as much as a new item, so if bought as new, and recieved as soiled, that is being ripped-off. New is new, and if something isn't in new condition, it should not be sold as new. It should be sold as shop-soiled, or whatever.

Speak to the supplier, and do not be fobbed off, he has broken his agreement - you paid for a new item, he has supplied something sub-standard. You may find that rather than return it you could keep the item on the understanding it was recieved in a soiled condition, and they could offer you a credit note or voucher to make up for the loss of goodwill. That is the solution I would go for.

M.

I agree with the others. No noticeable impact on performance but it should not have been sold that way as "new". If you really want a fright, look at my mirrors with a red light after a few months of use. Still no impact on performance though.

Were they to offer £50 (or even £25) off the price it would be a GREAT value for you. On the other hand, if you have to pay to have it shipped back then I don't think it would be worth it.

Certainly does not look as new as it should be if purchased "as new". The water marks on the optical tube can be removed no bother. The splodge on the mirror is trickier.

Defo contact the people you bought it from and raise your argument. Cleaning the mirror is a cheaper option then sending the scope back to the retailer.

STILL...............if you bought it "as new" in good faith with the retailer you are by law entitled to a full refund or replacement at no extra cost to yourself.

Well I just spoke with the shop and they are sending me a new on on Monday and the courier will pick up the old one and they are going to check it first so I am very happy about that. Was starting to panic as its getting close to Christmas!

I'm glad the company is sorting it out for you. Reminds me of earlier this year when I bought a Meade 114 DS EC reflector from a local photoshop. Being not very knowledgable and not knowing about this great forum, I seen this meade scope on offer for £190, and the guy serving chucked in the autostar handset, as it was only motorised not goto, and some meade 4000 eyepieces for £15.

When I got it home, the scope had a few scratches and marks on the tube and the mount and it looked like a display model. Not knowing much, I set it up and used it, the mount was shaky and the goto was erratic and the backlash was terrible, Ok for observing but would have been no good for imaging. So had a read and found it was a old scope and was known to have these issues, plus it looked used.

So I took it back for a refund and then ordered the Sky Watcher from FLO and to be honest have been a happy chappy with the 130 syncscan, and it was not much more expensive than the old, shaky meade scope and I can image with it. I was a bit gutted as it was my 1st proper scope, but it worked out for the best. And I also found this forum and have learnt enough to get by, and know how to work things.

Replacement scope arrived today and the box rattled not a good sign....

Opened it to find the scope wasn't attached to the stand hence the rattling. Opened the scope and checked the main mirror to find an object resting on it (no idea what it is or where it goes.

More pictures of dismay guess I have had terrible luck...

http://www.wowstats.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/mirror2.JPG

http://www.wowstats.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/mirror3.JPG

http://www.wowstats.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/uo.JPG

Dashing out so no time to resize these.

Replacement scope arrived today and the box rattled not a good sign....

Opened it to find the scope wasn't attached to the stand hence the rattling. Opened the scope and checked the main mirror to find an object resting on it (no idea what it is or where it goes.

More pictures of dismay guess I have had terrible luck...

http://www.wowstats.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/mirror2.JPG

http://www.wowstats.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/mirror3.JPG

http://www.wowstats.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/uo.JPG

Dashing out so no time to resize these.

Where is this from? I want to make sure I never buy from them

Archived