Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Geminid Meteor Shower - Thoughts

Hi

This is my first year as an astronomer, the last Shower back in November was a no show due to cloud, I believe the Geminid Meteor Shower Peaks next Monday Night ?, so im interested in the best direction and time to view ?

Regards

John B

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi , They are active at various levels over several days. If your dressed for it ( warm multi layers, balaclava + sleeping bag ) and on a cumfy sunlounger get out and do it .Red light , pencil and notepad . Rates are higher as maximum approaches . The rate of non shower (sporadic) meteors rises as you approach dawn boosting levels . This shower's radiant is high in altitude for most of the night which helps. To get an idea of potential activity use this NASA tool Home page of the Meteor Shower Flux Estimator (FLUXTIMATOR). and key in the data for your location and the dates/ showers you are interested in. Hope you have clear skies :icon_eek:

Len E

at this time of the year I tend to do 'shifts' when I am meteor watching... half an hour at a time, pop in for 10 minutes to warm up. It's not ideal for dark adaptation, and you might miss one in that ten minutes, but I get grumpy when I am cold so it works for me :icon_eek: I think this year's geminids is going to be particularly hopeful because the Moon is right out of the way - really hope you all get some clear skies :hello2:

at this time of the year I tend to do 'shifts' when I am meteor watching... half an hour at a time, pop in for 10 minutes to warm up. It's not ideal for dark adaptation, and you might miss one in that ten minutes, but I get grumpy when I am cold so it works for me :icon_eek: I think this year's geminids is going to be particularly hopeful because the Moon is right out of the way - really hope you all get some clear skies :hello2:

Lol Amanda you get grumpy I would not have expected that.

I hope its a better show than Leonids was in November I only got to see two of them and they were both on the off chance. when I was not looking through the scope. Heres praying for clear sky next weekend

Me too Martin, the Leonids was a little disappointing for me - I saw about 5 meteors over a few nights (dodging the cloud)

oh yes I do get grumpy, if I am cold AND hungry than it's even worse!! snacks at the ready!! :icon_eek:

I might see if the other half wants to drive out to a darker site Sunday night and see if we can spot any, with the Moon out of the way might be worth it. That's if the clouds don't ruin it... :hello2:

Hi all

Just a quick one. I will myself be getting out for a few hours tonight and tomo night and i cant wait (bar the cold).

As i am still new .............. If i use the naked eye i will see them i am sure as i saw two beautys in the august show (name i can not remember)(and thats what got me started in astronomy). But if i was to look through my binos in the correct area of sky would i see more or would it be a better sight. My feeling is that as they are hitting our atmosphere it wont make much of a difference but just wanted to make sure....

Cheers

Worth looking out over the next few nights as predictions are not an exact science. The Geminids are noted for bright fireballs which adds to their appeal. The meteor "experts" always recommend having your back to the radiant(the point where the meteors appear to come from) as they travel some way before they "light up". I'm relieved to learn that few Leonids were observed from the UK as I went to Tenerife for the guaranteed clear night to observe them and saw only 6 in a three hour stint.

But if i was to look through my binos in the correct area of sky would i see more or would it be a better sight. My feeling is that as they are hitting our atmosphere it wont make much of a difference but just wanted to make sure....

Cheers

Hi Teddy, leave the binos in the house. :) Meteor showers are a wide-field event, and using optical assistance will limit your field of view and lessen the experience (and the 'wow' factor). Btw, the August shower you enjoyed were the Perseids.

Thanks Talitha ,

Will follow ur advice. if no binos needed and other equipment then i will be having a little fire behind me to keep mr frost away.

to cloudy last night but fingers crossed for later !!

Teddy

please please clear skies tonight .......

i have checked i few diffrent weather reports for the leicestershire area and its 50/50

This will be my first meteor shower with a dslr camera and i hope to get a few shots

If i have to wait all night for a break in the clouds so be it .........

clear skies

i didnt get to look out last night due to the cloud so im hoping for a clear night tonight. Just a quick question. How bright are the Geminids? Are they brighter or dimmer than something like Jupiter or Sirius?

22:00 Hrs here in China. I've seen 3 germaloids. First one was huge, bright (-3 or there abouts??) and just cruised across the sky about 20:00 (didn't have my watch on), I could almost hear it, it was gorgeous! The other 2 were much fainter. I've had the 20x60 binos from the control room and been alternating between stars and watching the sky for meteors. I've also seen my first "fuzzy" in the sword of Orion (dunno what it's called). Incidently, here Orion is on his side as he rises above the horizon, which is odd to see. Clouds are scudding in, but there's enough clearance to see any bright shooters, should they decide to make themselves apparent.

I'm in having a ciggie and a brew, then I'll go back out for a while.

Looks good for tonight so far. The cloud that was here seems to be breaking up and vanishing. Got my camera battery charging.Tripod,camera bag etc moved to the garage. Think i'll even move my 20X90s out to the garage also just to have with me so i can have a good scan around for faint fuzzies.

Archived