Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mars - 04 Dec

brianb

Last night started off very disappointing with much cloud & intermittent showers, then it cleared but the seeing was rotten & the Moon was awfully bright .... then, funnily enough, around 6:00 am the seeing improved to reasonable. Not good, just reasonable; not a lot of boiling but some jet stream smearing of the view.

Turned scope to Mars, was rewarded with the best view I've had since 2005, and finally managed to get an image of Mars I'm almost proud of.

Mars-091204-0630-RGBX2.jpg

2009 Dec 04, 0630 UT. CM 285 deg. CPC 1100, 2x barlow, Astronomik type 2c colour seperation filters, Imaging Source DMK41 camera.

Changed the 2x barlow for 4x but approaching frontal cloud prevented me from capturing any more than the red channel, and deteriorating seeing meant it wasn't as good as the 2x version.

Hellas is really bright & because of the tilt of Mars' north pole towards us appears on the limb, looking like an extra polar ice cap. The prominent dark marking is of course Syrtis Major.

Wonderful image! Your perserverance is rewarded :icon_eek: ... I was out too last night - but finished by 1am because of shower-threatening clouds. Seeing was awful - could make out the NPC and dark collar around it, and some markings further south, but just couldn't get a steady enough image to see any decent detail.

did you use RGB Brian?

any light pollution reducing filter?

Yes, it's a mono camera. Shot AVIs seperately through red, green & blue colour seperation filters (Astronomik type 2c) & combined the resulting images. These filters have built in infra red & ultra violet blocking.

No need for light pollution reducing filters when imaging moon or planets ... I've even imaged Mars in full daylight, with the Sun shining onto the side of the scope tube. Even visually, light pollution isn't an issue with very bright objects, though the spectral response of some LP filters is said to be useful for enhancing detail on Mars. Personally I prefer an ordinary orange or light red filter ... and with less than 6" of aperture, I think it would be better to do without.

Archived