Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My first attempt at the Pleiades (M45)

merlinxlm

Hello everybody, here is my first attempt at the Pleiades (M45). It was shot using my EQ6 Pro mount, 80DS Pro with my E510 at prime focus, unguided. Its a stack of about 23 raw files, including dark and flat frames. I've used DSS to stack the pictures, and them PS to adjust the levels. Any advice on how to better them, or to get more detail, very appreciated.

Thank you.

post-15200-133877408791_thumb.jpg

post-15200-133877408797_thumb.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well first that's a great start. It is actually very hard to get a good M45 as Tom O'Donoghue and I have both found out recently!

Yes, as has been said, how long were the subs? If you are guiding, I'd go for 4 minutes or so. Too long and you blow the cores and that means getting into layer masking to control them.

Olly

Thank you everyone for your comments, they were taken with 60sec subs at 400iso, unguided. I did try a 180sec exposure, but I had some star trailing. I'll try and get a better polar alignment so that I can try for longer subs, what would be the longest I would be able to achieve until I get my guiding. Any tips very appreciated.

Thank you.

I've managed 3 to 4 minute subs with my HEQ5 unguided, I'd expect with a decent setup, you ought to be able to get something similar... although 2 should be easily doable.

A nice starting result that. Keep the data, as you can add it in DSS as a seperate group and keep adding new groups as you add new data sets.

Nice image.

A quick look at the histogram shows the black point has been clipped and so some of the faint detail has been lost.

The histogram on the left on the image below is from your image and the one on the right is from a none clipped image.

It will be worth another look at the raw data as there is likely to be more to be had from the data you already have.

Have a look at Martin B's website for some help with levels and curves in photoshop here.

Hope that helps.

Mike.

post-13376-133877408882_thumb.jpg

I also went for M45 last night. My effort is not as good as Jordans. Taken from the edge of a light-polluted city! Used ISO 800 with 10x60s, 5x150s and 1x240s subs. Filter is EOS CLS clip. All unguided (GPDX with starbook -S) through Meade 80 with revelation flattener which seems to still flare the stars to the left! I 'd be grateful for any tips? The original stacked image was very saturated so I pulled down all RGB curves, but I have not processed it beyond that.

Cheers

post-17204-133877408904_thumb.jpg

Hi everyone, I've had a little play with the pictures, just trying to get some more information out of them. I adjusted the levels and curves, I found that if I adjusted the blue in the curves it brought out the nebulosity, any comment or suggestions? I think that the first one shows more of the nebulosity, but it also has blued the back ground.

Thank you.

post-15200-133877408931_thumb.jpg

post-15200-133877408937_thumb.jpg

I don't think you are doing anything "wrong" at all.

The best bit of advice I could give is resist the urge to push the data too far and never clip the histogram to hide noise ( although now seeing the raw stack you only very slightly clipped the black point).

a clipped image although hiding noise in the background starts to look unnatural, it's better to hold back a bit and even leave a little noise rather than clip to hide the noise.

As has been said to go deeper you are going to have get more subs, A tall order I know with our weather but it will be worth the effort.

The image below is about as far as I would go with the data as is, an image gently pushed gives IMO a more natural feel.

Hope this makes sense and helps.

I am looking forward to more data for this shot.:rolleyes:

Mike.

post-13376-133877408983_thumb.jpg

I'm keeping a very close eye on this thread :rolleyes:.

Merlin, I hope I'm not hijacking your thread, but I guess if we're both after the same info...

I've always wanted to capture this elusive blue cluster "on film", and have been reading how difficult it is to do properly or successfully. Having spent 2+ hours gathering various subs the other night, only to get back home to find 50+ frames of out-of-focusness, I need to do some studying. :) ...and getting the scope hooked-up to the laptop.

BTW, when I stacked my frames in DSS, I seemed to lose almost all colour in the stars... what am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

This is a good thread, and a great example of the more experienced, demonstrating their willingness to help those in the early beginnings of their imaging. It isn't a competition as such, but the POTW can just as easily be awarded to a less experienced imager, as their images are appraised, taking account of their equipment used, their processing, and the difficulty of the particular obect imaged.

A big thanks to the participants in this thread, it sets a great example for the whole forum.

Ron.:rolleyes::icon_salut:.

Archived