Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New to the forum

Hello all,

I've been reading and enjoying this forum for a while and have decided to join.

I live in West Kent under heavy light pollution, not in anyway uncommon I guess.

Until now I have been using binoculars to view the night sky. I have long had a pair of Swift 10x50s which I have found excellent for the job and have, in the last few months, been using a pair of Strathspey 15x70s.

I'm now looking forward to buying my first telescope. From what I've read here and elsewhere an 8" Newtonian reflector would be a good place to start. I'm sure I would like to do imaging in the future so with this in mind I thought of putting the reflector on to an HEQ5 mount/tripod and then in a while perhaps put a refractor on the mount for imaging purposes. However, having seen what some of you have achieved with an 8" reflector when imaging I'm not sure I should rush in to this. I did wonder if a Skywatcher 190 MN might be a sensible alternative to save costs down the line but it does seem a bit much to begin with.

In time I hope to post some of my results but in the meantime I'll continue to read and learn from the wealth of experience you all have.

Thanks

Badger

Welcome Badger. The 8" Newtonian is one of the most popular telescopes there is, and an Ideal starter for a new recruit.

For imaging though, I would suggest you wait and familiarise yourself with the many alternatives open to you in that area.

No need to rush, and ask as many questions as you like, so that you increase your chances of being happy with what you finally do choose.

I hope you enjoy SGL, It really is a family forum.

Ron.:o

Welcome to SGL. I'm from South Essex, so know all about the light pollution...

The MN190 is an amazing scope, but would be at the very limited of the HEQ5. If you wanted a side by side outfit for imaging then you'd need an EQ6!

I saw the MN190 in action at the weekend and it is very very nice!

Ant

Archived