Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

2 new Messiers in the bag - 28/8/2009

ashenlight

I managed to get out with the scope for the first time in what seems like forever last night. Noticing how dark it was (yippee!) at 21:15, I moved the telescope outside and gave it just half an hour to cool down - not ideal but all I had! The session lasted about 40 minutes, until 22:25(ish)

I started with M57 and M81 and M82. I decided to camp out on the lawn for observing tonight, giving me a better North-west view. I was rewarded with a lovely view of M81 and M82, fairly crisp in the FOV but the seeing wasn't that great. M57 really popped tonight. The sky up at the zenith was really dark (don't you just love the transition from Summer to Autumn :grin: ) and the 'doughnut' shape just stood out like a jewel. The central dark area was unmissable with averted vision. Best view I've had yet!

Jupiter was riding high above the boundary fir trees so I had a look. 2 bands really visible, a rusty orange/red colour. I could just about make out some detail on the boundary between the red colour of the band and the creamy yellow of the rest of the disk. It wasn't the best view I have had, but I was so pleased to be back at the eyepiece with this gas giant. Dad had a look and was suitably impressed :)

Now onto the 2 new Messiers!

The first is a bit of a cheat really, because I did see M31 with the binoculars late Winter this year (wasn't long after I joined SGL actually, probably around February). It was really low near the Western horizon so I didn't have any hope of seeing it naked eye - there's quite a bit of glow over that way. However, now that Andromeda is just skimming the roof of my house I decided to give it a go. Using a star map to help me get my bearings - using the Great square of Pegasus to guide me too, I made out Andromeda and saw the spot where M31 should be. I took my chance, and looked a little to the side. Oh my Goodness. A smudge. It must be M31! I didn't really think I'd be able to see it, naked eye, but there it was. It wasn't a mind blowing view, although I don't think anyone who wasn't an amateur would be blown away - it just looked like a tiny area of wispy cloud (I am sure it wasn't that, lol). I might show my next door neighbour next time he's outside when I am, he loved spotting Jupiter a while back. Back to M31... I was so blown away :( I used the binoculars to have a look, the same great view as last year with a bit more detail. I decided to try and get the scope on it, but for some reason (unknown to me at the time) I just couldn't get it in the FOV. I scanned around alot, but to no avail. When I was writing some brief notes later on that evening I was using a star map to review what I had seen, and noticed what I had been doing wrong in my tired state. Have a look at this mapand you'll see what I mean... I realised I needed to go though Beta and Mu but, in my tiredness, forgot to position the RDF the same distance (and a little more) above Mu to get M31 and in FOV. :):o

So I was looking in entirely the wrong place. Nevermind, I know for next time :D

Next came M52. I haven't been open cluster hunting with the scope yet so I didn't really know what to expect - are they as open and obvious as M45? Or are they harder to find, like globulars? I decided to go for M52 in Cassiopeia, as its position through Alpha and Beta and on for the same distance again looked as though it'd be easy to find. I didn't really know what to look for, so I just decided to scan around a little once I'd got the RDF on the spot I thought I needed to be and hope for the best. After a little bit of peering at a misty patch which seemed to contain some tiny stars, I decided this must be it. I increased the mag by putting in the 10mm EP and even though the view suffered slightly, I could make out that this was it. I confirmed what I had saw by quickly getting an image up of M52 on the laptop and checking the views. They matched. Great :)

So now I've managed to see quite a few Messiers with my scope I've decided to start up a count in my signature, just like Mick (Doc). I can't wait to look for some more, particularly open clusters. I think they might be my new favourite :o

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Mick, thanks for the comments :grin: I'm thrilled I've reached 9 Messier objects, so far I've seen

M13, M57, M81, M82, M31, M52, M45, M27, M42. :) Got a while to go until I can catch you up though, how long has it taken you to get to 53/110?

Yes, I do keep notes. They're not very, erm, technical. A page for each session with the date and time, the seeing, any LP from streetlights or the Moon (now that I am getting more and more into DSOs I'm beginning to get annoyed by the Moon, unless I am sketching it). Each object usually gets a few sentences describing the appearance through different EPs used, if averted vision was needed, any hint of colour, how did the conditions alter the views - seeing etc. Sometimes I pop in a small and usually rushed sketch of what I have seen - as accurate as I can make it - just to provide another log of what I've seen. They're nothing special, just 'visual log books' of the object. :)

With objects like globs or planetary nebs I usually note if there are any prominent stars in the field - bright sparkly doubles or a little train of stars - just to help me get my bearings. Sounds bizarre, but it works for me.

I want to progress to including the distances between objects, though I am still getting to grips with that.

Thanks Starflyer :(

Thanks Mick :) I just try to put down everything I'd need to help someone else find the same object. Notes also make for a good way to make comparisons, I find.

Hopefully I can build up my Messier log within a year - there'll be no stopping me if I get that dob :grin:

Amanda,

Did you not pick up M32 and M110 when you were looking at M31, they're very close by, M32 overlayed against M31 and M110 another very small hazy patch near M31. Sounds like you have set yourself a worthy task to see all the Messiers, there are some good challanges near to the southern horizon such as M8 and M16, but it can still be done, an who says it has to be done from the UK.

Steve..

Hi Steve,

I was mainly observing M31 with just my eyes last night - I used the binos just to confirm it was actually M31 and not cloud! I didn't notice them in the binos - it was just a quick look really. I was rushing to get the telescope on it and in the rush ended up looking in the wrong place so no, didn't get to see M32 and M110 - I'll be looking out for them tonight/tomorrow/asap though :)

I'm fortunate in that my southern horizon is fairly free of trees/houses/etc. If I'm on the lawn, the fir trees are a hindrance, but further down the garden next to my allotment I've got a beautiful view with no obstructions. My main problem horizon is the North - might have to go and camp outside the driveway for some Northern objects... :grin:

I can feel the urge for a big dob is calling you now.

Oooh, the slippery slope! :)

It's great though, bagging those first ever DSO's. It's exciting and is the start of an addictive pastime - Deep Sky observing is very addictive.

Yea it really is Talyn, you're right. I started off with mainly Moon and planets back in feb but it has grown to a desire to get the faintest fuzzies I can find.

This is why I need the dob :)

You definitely need a bigger scope. A 10" would be a good start. :grin:

Great report Amanda - well done for finding M52. My first scope was also a small Newtonian (4.5" f4) and it took me a few attempts to spot M52. It is nowhere near as impressive as many other Messier open clusters that will soon be visible. IMO Open clusters are the best targets for smaller scopes since I find they suffer less from light pollution and aperture than most fuzzies. There are some great clusters just around the corner.

Let us know how you get on with M32 and M110. I can see M32 fairly easily with my 4.5" Newt from my light polluted back garden (limiting mag rarely better than 5) now I know what to look for, but M110 is a bit tougher. Under a dark sky they are both v. clear, but with light pollution they can be tricky.

Andrew

Nice Report. Enjoyed reading it. Unfortunatly I have had cloud for what seems like months, too! I see your Messier count has started to. So it is a race, is it not? :-)

Altough perhaps in my case an ultra-marathon. Perhaps it needs to be to enjoy it. Or because the cloud is there. Can't imagine how they do it in a night.

Thanks for the comments Andrew and James :)

I don't really mind how long it takes me to see all the Messiers, I'd rather spend a week observing a few objects in detail and take them all in than race through it in a night like some of the magazines do, can't see how they do it, I need a sit down and a cup of tea after a couple of hours! Thank goodness the long nights are on the way!! :grin:

great report Amanda

as new myself not seen many Messier objects yet either

tho it is much easier with Goto Scope, it can still be bit tricky if object not in FOV after auto skewing

i have seen all Messier objects u mention except M52, something for me to check out,

would recommend checking out M92, M15, M3 n M5 all of which are globular clusters

which have stood out well in my 127mm scope

when looking for M31 few weeks ago i actually found M32 on way it was below left of M31 and with bit of adjustment both could be seen using my 25mm EP in same FOV (0.8 degree)

not managed M101 yet even with my Goto

Nice report n happy viewing

(sorry, cant resist my fav Messier objects my bedroom LOL)

regards James

get a nice correct image finder scope. . . You can transfer it to the new dob. When the moon has cleared off, give m11 and the sagittarius region a good look. Should pull in some more M numbers. Lugging about, a 10inch would be good. Bigger and they look like ballistic missile silos and are about as mobile!

Cheers

PEterW

Well done Amanda, score a point for naked-eye averted vision! :) M31's usually do-able here without optical aid, and you've described it perfectly... just a smudge, but definitely there.

M52: "a misty patch which seemed to contain some tiny stars". Yep, that's it.. look familiar? :grin:

Btw, have you ever seen the Messier Card which Sky and Telescope has? It's wonderful, especially when used with an RDF and a low power ep. They get you into the ballpark very quickly.

post-13732-133877395268_thumb.jpg

Thank you Carol and yes, that sketch is exactly what I saw! :) Staying with M52 seemed to allow more stars to 'pop' but if I wasn't actively looking for it, I really think I would have skipped over it! thank you for the confirmation sketch :grin:

I hadn't see S&T's Messier card - I just googled it and it looks like a great resource. I'm often begrudging the starmap that comes with S@N, just because its so flimsy and when the dew kicks in it is virtually unusable. Might have to look into getting the card :) thanks for the heads up.

:(

Hi Amanda and congrats on your new DSO's ! At this rate, and with Winter on it's way, I can see you being up to 25 in no time at all ! (don't forget the Pleiades). I've noticed in your sign off, the UHC-S filter.. how are you getting on with it ? Did you use it with M57 yet ? I've also heard that the Owl Nebula responds well to a UHC.

Cheers

Steve

Hi Amanda and congrats on your new DSO's ! At this rate, and with Winter on it's way, I can see you being up to 25 in no time at all ! (don't forget the Pleiades). I've noticed in your sign off, the UHC-S filter.. how are you getting on with it ? Did you use it with M57 yet ? I've also heard that the Owl Nebula responds well to a UHC.

Cheers

Steve

Pleiades is M45 which she says shes seen :)

James

Yea James, I've seen M45 - naked eye, binos and the scope - it is so beautiful. NGC 457 is next on my list Mark, wanted to see it for ages... I'll have to start up an NGC count too!:)

Steve, m57 actually responded quite well to the OIII for me, though I haven't had time to make a proper comparison. Once I get back from holiday I've got an all nighter planned to do a proper report on the filters :grin:

Hi Amanda. Great report and thread....I have just been lucky enough to get a 12" Lightbridge but Carl helps me to move it around. It would be pretty challenging on my own, I think, but I'd give it a go. I imagine the 10" would be much more manageable on your own.

I have also been bitten by the Messier bug. I am new to astronomy and the amount of knowledge required blows me away, so I decided upon the M series as a place to start - the list is not too long and the numbering system is simple. I saw M33 and M13 at SSP through 16" Lightbridges, this and seeing the veil nebula through a 20" dob, was got me into the hobby. But I am only counting ones I have found using my own scope. I hope that finding the objects will help me to learn about the constellations better, and I too am keeping records of what I see and where I find it.

Good luck in your quest and let's hope the weather is kind to us :)

Steph

Archived