Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from Wozz

Wozz

Hi there.

I am not a stargazer (unless you consider standing in your garden staring upwards with the naked eye) but I met one of your forum members today who was kind enough to share some of his pictures with me and I was amazed!

So here I am. Hopefully in time I will learn enough to build my own kit for taking photographs and I have a slight headstart as I have a fairly decent digital camera.

Anyway - hello from me and many thanks to the forum member who introduced me (and I am really sorry but I can't recall your name - I blame old age).

I'm looking forward to learning more, getting to know you all and seeing the results of all the fantastic pictures taken!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not a stargazer (unless you consider standing in your garden staring upwards with the naked eye)

Makes you a stargazer in my books :) . Welcome to SGL Wozz, I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself here.

Steve

Welcome to the forum Wozz, I am the chap you spoke to this lunchtime when you were in Bunbury and I am so glad you joined as there is so much here for you to spend cloudy nights reading and learing and we will have you observing and imaging in no time. You need a pair of 10x50 binocs and a Collins Pocket Guide to Stars and Planets to get going.

Take a look at the imaging section at what can be achieved with your Canon 450D in deep space with only 80mm ED refractors, all you need is an equatorial mount like EQ5/6 to get going with a cheap guidescope to guide your 80mm ED. Inexpensive webcams enable lunar/planetary imaging and For Sale/Wanted section for cheaper secondhand stuff to save a bit of money.

If you need any advice you can post enquiries directly in Beginners section as well as reading Primers and Tutorials or you can send personal messages to me or any member for advice/help. This is probably the friendliest Forum and caters for all interests. This will be the start to a fascinating hobby.

JohnH.

Hi Wozz, anyone who stands in their garden looking upwards( I assume you mean when it's dark? :)) is a stargazer in my book too! Don't half make your neck hurt though!! Welcome.

Hi all and thanks so much for such a warm welcome.

Hi again Johnh. I did warn you I would be logging on :) To be honest the photo's of yours i saw today were totally inspiring and I hope one day i can be clicking away to some similar results.

I'm starting with the binocs as suggested and will probably move up to a refractor once I get past the new-boy phase. Its pretty exciting and I can't wait for a clear night and a good reference book to work from.

I'm fighting the urge to blow a lot of cash straight away but will be sensible ... for now.

Thanks again for the warm welcome and in advance for your patience with my new-boy questions :D

Welcome Wozz,

I started at christmas buying my 8 year old daughter a scope and mount for a few hundred pounds (something i wanted also) but be careful it can be very addictive, eyepieces, filters, colminators (hope i spelt that right) just spent another £500 over the weekend on a bigger scope and mount much to the wife anoyance, always good stuff in the for sale section.

great fun, only wish we could do something about the clouds !

It all looks fascinating but I was having a giggle at my own expense reading everyone's signatures and having no idea what this new seemingly foreign language was alluding too.

I've lost a whole afternoon and evening just reading up on things and haven't scratched the surface (or even looked upwards) once yet. I'm looking at some refractors at the moment just from a curiosity perspective but will settle for my 10 x 50 bins for now until I become more familiar with this fascinating hobby!

Hi ya Wozz and welcome to SGL

Before you start spending your hard earned you could try and get to a star party if possible, that way you would not only meet a bunch of the nicest people out there but you could also get to see various scopes and other goodies and ask loads of questions before you decide on which way you want to go.

Thanks Roy. Thats a really good idea. There are some great posts on here outlining the merits of refractors v reflectors v dobsonian etc but it would be great to see the actual results (and show off my cheap bins at the same time) :)

I'll keep my eyes open for a party to crash :D

Archived