NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

They said it would be cloudy...they said there would be storms...

NickH

They were WRONG.... (ish)

Just witnessed the eclipse of the century from the central island in West Lake , Hangzhou China...truly amazing and beautiful site. Our party from Wilsthire had literally hundreds of Chinese looking at, and being enthralled by the views, we even got the outbound part in H-Alpha (the clouds were a bit too thick pre totality to try)

I have now 533 images to process...gonna take some time and some filtering to get through, but it was amazing, inspiring and truly magic... seeing kids, old people, and just everyone stood in awe as the corona sprang to life is something that will stay with me forever.

Am emailing this from the hotel lobby using their wifi.. much much more to come over the next week or so, but here's just one , completely raw and unprocessed shot, scaled down and compressed for upload (no pellett nothing...just as it was out of the camera)

post-14410-133877387049_thumb.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nick, did the imagers who were attending the event find time to relax and absorb the experience, or is it pretty hectic capturing a short-lived event like this?

Thanks again for sharing your images, they're absolutely stunning. :)

Nick, ...................is it pretty hectic capturing a short-lived event like this?

Thanks again for sharing your images, they're absolutely stunning. :)

Short lived? At six minutes plus for the eclipse it would seem like a lifetime compared to the average total such as 2 mins or 3 mins. But, Talitha, I bet that there were plenty of observers who didn't take a minute to look around.

It seemed like a lifetime, and was truly magical. The sky went very dark, silvery first, then dark, and I alternated for the whole 6 minutes between imaging with the camera, and just looking.. (I took a tracking mount)... the just looking bit was beautiful...something I was told should be done....so I did...

Full report coming to a mag near you soon ...but it was just amazing..

Thank you all for the kind words too, I hope the other 322 (narrowed it down again) images capture it as well as these tasters do

I dearly would have loved to have witnessed Saros 136 but Funds and my Extensive family would not allow,also 136 was the first of the Saros series that i studied,and have spoken to people who saw it in Baja Mexico 1991,so iam familiar with its history and path.

However i was luckly enough to see Saros 139 three years ago,its totality was about half the length but the seeing was perfect.

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

What an excellent view of totality you had, stunning. I'd like to get to N. Australia for 2012, November (?), so could very well be good weather too.

The view from WuHan was spectacular, despite the cloud cover (I was told that I'd probably never shut up about my first total solar, and I do believe they were right), well worht the (admittedly, minimal) effort involved in getting there.

Still buzzing about it...........

Archived