Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi from West Lothian

stev74

Hi everyone

Think I’ve done this slightly the wrong way round, as I’ve already posted on the help for beginners page because I had a burning question about upgrading - I’ve already had some great advice.

Just wanted to say thanks for all the great information on SGL - before I posted I had been “lurking” (I think that’s the phrase to use) for a while. I’ve learnt so much - from mounts to scopes, to, well, too much to list in this post. Every time I’m on, I learn something new.

My girlfriend bought me a 3” Newt for my xmas and after a bit of research and downloading Stellarium (I can’t recommend this programme enough for Newbies, it’s been a great help) and a few hit and miss sessions in the garden, I was able to see Saturn for the first time and what an amazing feeling it was to catch a glimpse of a planet with my own eyes for the first time. The word would probably be breath-taking. I’ve also dusted off my 16x50 bino’s and got some good views of Pleiades and Orion’s Nebula.

Recently I’ve been able to look at Jupiter and to be able to see, not only another planet, but another planet’s moons, is just incredible. Especially on my £50 scope from Jessop’s, which you can’t track with and the mount is so flimsy, the slightest breath of wind and everything shakes. :)

I’m hoping to upgrade soon as there are so many DSO’s out there still to be seen.

I really feel right at home on this site – not only about astronomy, but I’ve noticed other interests that are the same. Did anyone else read the post about the computer games, listing everything from Horace Goes Ski-ing for the Spectrum to COD for the Xbox 360 – think I’ve played most of the games listed! I’ve even recognised people using user names from books I’ve read over the years, from Feist to Hamilton.

I would imagine I’m not alone when I look out my window to the south and hoping to get another crack at Jupiter tonight, see only clouds – AGAIN!

The saying “clear skies” means so much more now :D

Hi Steve,

Welcome to The Lounge! As you have seen for yourself it's a really friendly place:). Feel free to ask as many questions as you like! Saturn is an amazing sight, I must have started a couple of years ago with a similer scope to yours, breath on it and it would wobble:mad:

I am from Edinburgh not too far from yourself, maybe we can meet up sometime for a joint session? A few other folks and me meet up at Kielder reservoir in the dark months for some joint imaging/observing sessions.

Hi Blinky,

Thanks for the offer of a joint session defo be in touch, been reading all about the EQ mounts, cullminating Etc. when I upgrade I'll probably need some help with the new setup when i get it. Kielder sounds like a great dark site. Had a look at your blog what a great setup and some amazing pics wow!! :)

Hi ron,

Thanks for the welcome, SGL must be good luck, looks like the sky is clearing for once!! Got the scope out to cool down, looks like I might see jupiter tonight after all! :)

Hi Steve,

Welcome to SGL!

I also started out with a scope from Jessop's, maybe the same as your one? I remember it wasn't the sturdiest mount (the missus described it as "very portable"!).

It was awesome to see the moon through it and seeing my first galaxy through it is something I'll never forget!

Happy DSO-hunting!

Luke

Hi Steve,

Welcome to SGL!

I also started out with a scope from Jessop's, maybe the same as your one? I remember it wasn't the sturdiest mount (the missus described it as "very portable"!).

It was awesome to see the moon through it and seeing my first galaxy through it is something I'll never forget!

Happy DSO-hunting!

Luke

Hi Luke,

:):D yup think i have the very same "very portable" scope.

Hi all,

Thanks for the great welcome!! :)

Glad i found SGL it's keeping me busy on all these cloudy nights!!

Think I'm at the start of a very long journey.

I did notice i have the same camera phone as AztecastroMcJ then realised I'd already taken a couple of basic astro pics..

Oh dear think the journey may get even longer!! :D

post-16879-133877386974_thumb.jpg

post-16879-133877386984_thumb.jpg

Hi James,

Yup good little phone, well you got to start somewhere! :D

Looks like your off to a 'flying' start some nice pics especially the Moon n 757 (or is it an airbus?). :)

Archived