Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Greetings from Hertfordshire!

arctica

Hi all

Just a quick note to say hello to everyone from Hertfordshire! Not new to the subject of astronomy, having studied it in quite some detail over the years, mainly from the perspective of comparative planetology. By training I am a geologist, so studying the Moon, Mars (actually worked on the gravity data for Mars a while back), and satellites of the outer Solar System was not unusual.

Generally using binoculars for wide-field scanning of the sky; gradually getting my wife into the subject :) Looking to move up to a telescope at some point.

Cheers

Lester

Welcome to SGL Lester! :) When I was younger I always wanted to be a geologist, somehow I have ended up studying for a degree in literature, lol!

Even though I now own a telescope, I always get my binos out for observing, I love scanning the milky way and they are great for clusters :headbang: Be sure to ask any questions about purchasing a telescope, if you need some advice :)

Enjoy!

Hi all

Just a quick note to say hello to everyone from Hertfordshire! Not new to the subject of astronomy, having studied it in quite some detail over the years, mainly from the perspective of comparative planetology. By training I am a geologist, so studying the Moon, Mars (actually worked on the gravity data for Mars a while back), and satellites of the outer Solar System was not unusual.

Generally using binoculars for wide-field scanning of the sky; gradually getting my wife into the subject :) Looking to move up to a telescope at some point.

Cheers

Lester

hi Lester just said hello my self yesterday,welcome

Thanks for the lovely welcome everyone :headbang:

Will definitely be asking for advice Amanda once we get around to going for a telescope. Still thinking about which road to go down (so to speak); Newtonian reflector or "traditional" refractor.

These days being a geologist is more a case of working at a computer and not looking at the rocks LOL Looking at the moon is a great start in comparative planetology since it is easy to see the relative ages of craters and structures. If anyone has geological questions, feel free to ask :)

Nice to be a part of the SGL band!

Cheers

Lester

Welcome to SGL Lester! :) When I was younger I always wanted to be a geologist, somehow I have ended up studying for a degree in literature, lol!

Even though I now own a telescope, I always get my binos out for observing, I love scanning the milky way and they are great for clusters ;) Be sure to ask any questions about purchasing a telescope, if you need some advice :)

Enjoy!

Hi lester and welcome,

you will get lots of advice regarding scopes on here,

i still like to use bins for a general look around at night as nothing as quick for grab and go,

hope you both enjoy it.

regards ron.s.g

Welcome to you Lester.

I hope you enjoy the SGL Forum.

Don't be in a hurry to buy a telescope, you have a lot of homework to do, but I'm sure you know that. It is unfortunate that so many rush into it and invariably make a bad choice.

Ron.:)

Hi Ron

Thanks for the welcome. There are a lot of considerations to look into, and I'm still thinking about the practicalities. Also looking at big binoculars (70 to 100mm objectives) for the portability issue.

Lots to think about re telescopes: lots of good advice here at SGL :)

Lester

Welcome to you Lester.

I hope you enjoy the SGL Forum.

Don't be in a hurry to buy a telescope, you have a lot of homework to do, but I'm sure you know that. It is unfortunate that so many rush into it and invariably make a bad choice.

Ron.:)

Welcome!

As you have probably noticed, quite a few new people from Hertfordshire lately, should be easy to find local darksites / societies etc

have fun!

Archived