Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astronomy rookie from Cheshire!

Space Cowboy

Hi there fellow sky watchers!

I'm Stuart from Cheshire and i've dipped my toe into the star spotting world! Kitted myself out with the Skymax 127 GOTO scope after some intense research. I did try out a Celestron Powerseeker 127 on a EQ mount. After looking at the moon and saturn i realised that finding objects was going to be very time consuming. Being a dairy farmer i have to start the day at 5.30am so late nights are not too benificial hence my option for a GOTO scope! Only used it once so far but am very impressed with the optics compared with the Celestron reflector. The compact nature of the skymax is very useful meaning i wont get too much protest from my lady!

I will probably need to invest in a 40mm eyepiece as the 25 mm provided gives me a lowest mag of 60x which i would assume is too narrow a field of view for easy viewing of deep sky objects?

I guess my long term goal is to learn the night sky with my GOTO and in the future purchase a 8 or 10" dobsonian!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well hello Astro baby>>I had no idea Astronomy was so glamerous ;)Pushing cows through windows is a waste of energy..we simply put them through the cow flap! :cool: Large animals may scare you but not a big scope (looking at your profile pic). I feel very inadaquate with my 5 inch Mak :icon_salut:

I will probably need to invest in a 40mm eyepiece as the 25 mm provided gives me a lowest mag of 60x which i would assume is too narrow a field of view for easy viewing of deep sky objects?
You could invest in a 32mm Plossl eyepiece. In 1.25" format, this gives the maximum field of view with your default scope and diagonal combination: 50x ~One degree (two lunar diameters) TRUE field of view on the sky.

Aside: Any (rather rare) 40mm 1.25" eyepiece would of necessity have a smaller apparent field of view. A smaller magnification, but with narrower field, equals SAME patch of sky! But this gets a bit technical... But Yeah - A NICE 32mm Plossl would be a fair enough choice. :)

Archived