SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Astronomy rookie from Cheshire!

Space Cowboy

Hello Amanda! Goodness me i'm overwelmed, my lenses are steaming up! :)

Gorgeous clear sky here tonight getting ready to try out my new scope for only its second outing! I expect its the same in South Wales too :D Off to Pembrokeshire on my Hols in just over a week:D

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey Catanonia i'm just down the road at Congleton! Looks like you've hit the ground running!

yeah tend to dive into new hobbies :)

Hopefully skies will be just as good tonight.

Where do you view from. Congleton has some great places close by to get up high :D

I only ventured into the garden so far due to the size of the kit I have.

You could invest in a 32mm Plossl eyepiece. In 1.25" format, this gives the maximum field of view with your default scope and diagonal combination: 50x ~One degree (two lunar diameters) TRUE field of view on the sky.

Aside: Any (rather rare) 40mm 1.25" eyepiece would of necessity have a smaller apparent field of view. A smaller magnification, but with narrower field, equals SAME patch of sky! But this gets a bit technical... But Yeah - A NICE 32mm Plossl would be a fair enough choice. :D

Thanks for the advice but all i can find are 32mm plossls with 52 degree views the same as the 40mm? Are you talking about something more expensive or am i just being dim?:)

yeah tend to dive into new hobbies :)

Hopefully skies will be just as good tonight.

Where do you view from. Congleton has some great places close by to get up high :D

I only ventured into the garden so far due to the size of the kit I have.

Only viewed from the garden so far..getting myself familiarised with my tackle before venturing further afield! Bosley Cloud and Mow Cop will be good places to try. Thats what i had in mind when i chose a compact Mak scope rather than a reflector. I guess the best scope is the one you use the most....thats what i was telling myself last night when i was looking through a dew pond! Gotta make myself a dew shield Blue Peter style:icon_salut: Early night for me i'm knackered lol

You could invest in a 32mm Plossl eyepiece. In 1.25" format, this gives the maximum field of view with your default scope and diagonal combination: 50x ~One degree (two lunar diameters) TRUE field of view on the sky.

Aside: Any (rather rare) 40mm 1.25" eyepiece would of necessity have a smaller apparent field of view. A smaller magnification, but with narrower field, equals SAME patch of sky! But this gets a bit technical... But Yeah - A NICE 32mm Plossl would be a fair enough choice. :)

I'm in the same boat as SJGOLD1 - newbie with a Skymax127 and wondering about getting a bigger field of view. I've found a 40mm 52degree apparent field of view eyepiece here:... Skywatcher.

A 40mm eyepiece with this scope would give x37.5 magnification, and the real field of view would be 52 / 37.5 = 1.39 degrees.

Is this right or am I missing something? It would be nice to have such a 'big' view. Should I get a 40mm eyepiece?

Archived