NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

POW - a question

centroid

Dennis whilst i will largely agree with your sentiments when it comes to terrestrial photography I find it harder to agree with you when it comes to astrophotography...

A better mount with lower tracking errors , together with a better scope with optics that provide crisp aberration free images edge to edge , on an astro CCD thats designed to reduce the noise taken through filters to combat the worst that Luna or the man made sources of LP will result in better "data" ...

The final result - will depend on the processing...

And what wrong with encouraging people early on as most comments made about peoples images do take into account what equipment they have used and their experience...

Peter...

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And what wrong with encouraging peopel early on as most comments made about peopels images do take into account what equipment they have used and their experience...

I am no fan of mutual back-slapping and it is one reason that I avoid some of the USA astronomy sites but I do take into consideration the equipment used and what I know of the individual's experience and conditions at the time the image was taken when I comment on a post. I hope people take a similar view when they comment on my output too!

dennis I agree with their being no point on just stating, fantastic image, wow, that looks great. That sort of comment is completely pointless.

People post images so that they can get feedback or advice, or just to share their efforts.

Verbal orgasm posts do no-one any favours.

As for POW, I believe that I have some good images, some worthy of POW. But they didnt win, and thats fine. If they arent good enough, then I better make them better. I view it as a competition, best one wins....

And it should be the best picture, taking into account factors like experience. A pow shouldnt be pow jus becuase it was taken with a 6" apo and Huge CCD. That image should be POW if it really is POW. So whilst posting capture details with images is fine, it shoyuldnt automatically make you winner.

6" apos and huge CCDs can take really bad images too. Depends on the imager really.

So POW should stay.

f you think you should win but dont, then improve my reasrching where you might be going wrong, ask the forum, PM imagers. RAISE YOUR GAME.

Then we all improve, the bar gets raised, and we must improve again.

Its evolution. We need it.

All factors need taken in to account when awarding POW

So Rog MartinB TJ, thanks for your time, even though I may not always agree.

Paul

naarowbandpaul: "fantastic image, wow, that looks great. That sort of comment is completely pointless.

People post images so that they can get feedback or advice, or just to share their efforts.

Verbal orgasm posts do no-one any favours."

Don't you think it is nice for those who can't give technical advice on an image just to be able to say 'i love the colours' 'really impressive'? I am in no way qualified to scrutinize someones photo from a technical perspective, but I like to think just an encouraging 'This is really impressive, keep up the good work' is as viable as the more technical responses. Apologies if I have got the wrong end of the stick here.

Amanda

I have won POTW with a picture taken from a fixed tripod, it is simply not true that those with the best kit win. Nor should they - otherwise it becomes a "who can work the most overtime" competition, not a measure of skill or inspiration.

IMHO like.

You do love stirring things up Dave. :)

Congratulation comments are all good! Those who can though should also offer up some knowledge on improvements.

I try to do that where I can, although I am no expert, sometimes I may know a tip someone else doesnt. I also want constructive criticism on any images I post too! Without that we cant all improve.

I think the key may be balance, as you have suggested Arran - comments from those who genuinely want to congratulate someone on what they feel is a beautiful image, and some more critical comments from 'those in the know.' I do find it a little disheartening to think that comments 'should only be made' when they can offer constructive critical input - in my opinion there's nothing wrong with a bit of encouragement from someone that can appreciate the aesthetics of an image. After all, I view SGL as an 'all inclusive' forum - everyone's views and opinions are taken into account regardless of their level of expertise.

Amanda

comments like great colour, or resolution are fine. Things like great image alone dont mean much. Say why you like it at least. That was my point amanda, didnt mean to sound like no-one who cant offer a technical opinion shouldnt bother. I am forever having to watch what I say......:-)

paul

I have won POTW with a picture taken from a fixed tripod, it is simply not true that those with the best kit win. Nor should they - otherwise it becomes a "who can work the most overtime" competition, not a measure of skill or inspiration.

IMHO like.

You do love stirring things up Dave. :)

I agree with you Dave I have won a POW for a very simple DSLR shot on a tripod. The subject was of Orion with an interesting foreground and some unusual sky colours due to Moon light and recently set Sun. I had intended to catch the Sunset but didnt get to the location in time. I was really nicely surprised to win the POW for a 'casual shot'.

I have seen images taken with really expensive kit which are pretty dire and superb images taken with more modest kit. A lot of abberations or defects with cheaper kit can be alleviated with post processing techniques and time. At the end of the day it's time spent not necessarily money that gets results.

I feel that the POW is a great thing as it encourages everyone to strive for better results whatever your level. It's one of the things that makes this forum stand out from the crowd.

Regards

Kevin

I feel that the POW is agreat thing as it encourages everyone to strive for better results whatever your level. It's one of the things that makes this forum stand out from the crowd.

Couldn't agree more Kevin :)

Lets leave it exactly as it is.... Well, at least til after I have had an opportunity to win :D

Just a minute, we are not all blumming scientists on here, If want to comment in a limited vocabulary then I will. "Brilliant effort, superb picture, I love the colours in the image," are all terms I have used to describe images, and i make no apology for it. This is an amateurs forum, where amateurs function at all levels. I make my comments because I can appreciate the effort that has gone into the creation of them, sometimes by guys who probably have to go to work 3 hours after they finish the data capture. Even If I become the worst imager SGL has ever seen, I won't commit suicide, because I will continue to appreciate what I see, done by others, and I genuinely mean that. You are just going to have to suffer my Inane comments, unless I get banned. Lets keep this forum human, and with feet on the ground.

Ron.

Actually, I've quite enjoyed this thread. As Martin mentioned, going through all the pics, and we do, EVERY picture, is really time consuming. I spent 4 hours the other week just looking at the pics. As the forum grows even more we will have to look at that aspect, but summer should be a bit quieter and give us some breathing room.

I just hope Steve @ FLO posts his first pic before I get old(er) and (more) senile.....

Just five days to go before next weeks choice has to be made, I reckon if I start drinking NOW, I should just about be ready by then. Barman, large whisky PLEASE!

:)

Archived