Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Whats your next project!

Doc

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's my list

1) Build DIY refractor using drainpipe for my 90mm f11 lens. Done, but still 'tweaking'. Always on the lookout for a better lenses.

2) Build stepper motor drive circuit to replace the broken dual axis controller on my EQ3-2 mount. Done. I used these if anyones interested. BV4113

3) Develop a laptop based RA traking and 'goto' system to power the stepper motors. Some promising results, but its a little harder than I first thought.

4) Enhance the laptop based system to enable 'autoguiding'. Bit more of a learning curve for this one.

At least I'm not the only masochist here :)

Upgraded mouting solution for my Binos, not sure whether I will be having a look at modding that photo-tripod, or building something from scratch. This will be my summer project... I'm not happy with the stickly altitude adjustment and inability to get over 75 degrees of altitude.

I've fitted motor drives to my EQ5 but instead of buying a power tank was going to try and build a little wooden box to hold a Golf Cart battery to run the motor drives (and maybe a laptop). Just something for carrying handness with some cigarette lighter sockets and possibly a light attachment.

Kathleen

• 2 months later...

Hi

I've just finished my pier project.

that leaves an empty garage to add iOptron drives to the AE Class C mount and a 36" horseshoe mount to build to carry an assortment of tubes. That will just fit inside a 4' mini-dome I plan to make a glass-fibre mould for.

that's probably the next two years spoken for.

Mike

The guys back in Oz found that if you pull a 12V fluoro work light apart the driver PCB can be used with 3 volt input to give a 80V output - just right to fire up a Neon indicator bub!

I need to do this for the spectroscopes ( reference lines) and 3V at the scope is MUCH safer than 240V!!!!

Oh, and finish the book currently underway -"Astronomical Spectroscopy for Amateurs" - and a Bahtinov mask for the 8"!!!!!!

Try to "graft" a SynScan Alt-Az GoTo atop my new HEQ5-fit pillar. I sense, what is needed, is called (appropriately) an "Owl Box"! However, I suspect my version will be some conconction of wood & threaded rod... Rather draughty for prospective Owls? :)

Implicit: Confirm Stellarium (scope)'s initial promise re. DRIVING all the above... :o

I finished my next project yesterday, but I am new to this forum so I have an excuse!

It is too hot here to leave scopes outside so they live in the house, they always seemed to be in the way and the SN10 was stored standing on its end, not good IMHO for a reflector.

So I sat there one evening thinking and decided to build a storage rack and here it is:

rack1g.th.jpg

rack2.jpg

It cost about £7 for materials, MDF, paint and some felt.

It is also good for maintenance as well!

First thing SWMBO said was (in a suspicious, enquiring, wifey sort of way) "what is the empty slot for?" :o ummm

I finished my next project yesterday, but I am new to this forum so I have an excuse!

It is too hot here to leave scopes outside so they live in the house, they always seemed to be in the way and the SN10 was stored standing on its end, not good IMHO for a reflector.

So I sat there one evening thinking and decided to build a storage rack and here it is:

rack1g.th.jpg

rack2.jpg

It cost about £7 for materials, MDF, paint and some felt.

It is also good for maintenance as well!

First thing SWMBO said was (in a suspicious, enquiring, wifey sort of way) "what is the empty slot for?" :o ummm

Totally get the "wifey sort of way" :D

Just don't get carried away with that felt - wifey won't be happy when you flock the house cut down reflected light! :)

Now that I have the Pier in place and the warm room finished my next project is to get long enough cables to get me and the laptop into the warm room leaving the scope out in the cold.

I now have the usb hub, just have to instal it and probably have to reinstal all the gear as they will be allocated new com ports.

Beamish kindly made a long cable for my focuser so once that is here I'll have all I need to get this part done.

Gary

I'm going to try my hand at building a secondary dew heater. And some 12v lights to illuminate my wixey and azimuth circle. The lights will be wired to the dew controller so they can be dimmed when I need to.

Why don't you like to store a Newtonian on its end? :o

Archived