NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Orion Optics VX10 vs VX10L dobsonian

I’m plotting ahead for My next telescope purchase….

OOUK do two versions of the VX10 a shorter 1200 f/4.8 and a longer 1600 f/6.3….

Is collimating the f/4.8 tricky? I can’t see any reasons not to go for it over the VX10L unless it’s a pain to collimate?

(size and weight I suppose).

Thanks

Niall

Also, if anyone has this scope or can point to a review on it for me it would be much appreciated.

If you have collimated before then you will not find the f/4.8 tricky to collimate, although the f/6.3 would have more latitude.

But even if you have not collimated before it’s a learnable process 👍

The f/6.3 is more suited to planetary as it has a smaller secondary obstruction, but it’s a long telescope.

Both are good 🙂

Edited by dweller25
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, dweller25 said:

The f/4.8 is not tricky to collimate, although the f/6.3 would have more latitude.

The f/6.3 is more suited to planetary as it has a smaller secondary obstruction, but it’s a long telescope.

Both are good 👍

Thanks,

I’m looking to replace a budget 8 inch Dob with something still easily manageable and with better optics and a better focuser. The VX10 at 1200mm would be my preferred option I think?

Not so sure the focusers  are 'better' as such.

The ones sold on all my OO scopes have been rubbish. Replaced with Moonlite's, but sadly you can't even do that now.

Maybe the current scopes have better focusers, i don't know. You can even spend £500 !! 😦 on the new 'Eris' focuser if you want.

I've had both the VX10 short and long in the past, as well as a CT10 and a VX12 F4 as well. The VX10 short is a nice size and not too much of a handful.

Optically all my OO scopes have been really nice. But they are expensive new. 

Not trying to talk you out of it or anything, but have you considered FLOs StellaLyra series ? 

• Like 1

The focuser on my 1 year old vx6 is very nice, far better than on my 10” OOUK which is older.

The 10” and aluminium base are so nice to move about with comfort, which is less than others as I have back issues.

Mechanically and optically very happy with my OOUK scopes, but Stella Lyra ones I have seen are superbly put together.

IMG_8134.thumb.jpeg.d2be0787c49d39bab2d4e4fc778230e6.jpeg

• Like 1

I understand that OOUK will build a scope with a focuser of your choice.  I would suggest the excellent Baader Diamond Steeltrack that I retrofitted to my VXs. You could buy one for £297 plus postage and have it sent to them.  Going by what OOUK were charging for just the focuser they now fit to the VX series (the ACU-2S) it shouldn't cost much more and may actually save you some money.

I have a 10 inch VX f/4.8 and amongst the advantages are lighter weight plus the tube length means it'll fit onto the back seat of most cars.  The 10L won't though.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Second Time Around said:

I have a 10 inch VX f/4.8 and amongst the advantages are lighter weight plus the tube length means it'll fit onto the back seat of most cars.  The 10L won't though.

That’s a great point Steve and something I failed to say about my 10”, it’s same size as yours and fits across the back seat of my little Argo, shame the boots too small for the base, that goes on the front passenger seat.

• Like 1

As a long term owner of an Orion Optics UK f4.8 Dob I find it no problem at all to collimate.  And even when transporting it by car it rarely needs a collimating adjustment.  As mentioned above an important point is that the tube assembly will fit across the back seat of most cars.

Mine is an early model made in 2006, the 2” focuser is a basic Chinese unit. With a bit of tweaking and Teflon strip it works to my complete satisfaction therefore I’ve not bothered to replace it. Having said that, later and current models have an upgraded 2 speed 2” focuser.

Recommended especially if you can find one second hand. If buying new it’s expensive and the depreciation is high if you sell it on.  Mine was in mint condition and was £400 back in 2011.

Ed.

• Like 2