SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Lazy Susan Dobsonian Mount

Mandy D

I have just bought a new Skywatcher 300PDS and am planning to put it on an aluminium Dobsonian style mount. Has anyone used a lazy susan bearing for the azimuth turntable? Is it smooth enough? Here is a link to the bearing I am considering:

https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p183585/390mm-Round-Lazy-Susan-Rotating-Aluminium-Turntable-Bearing/product_info.html

I suspect that my turntable will be about 600 - 650 diameter, based on the 520 diameter used for 150 - 250P tubes.

Just now, cajen2 said:

It's the standard az bearing for the StellaLyra dob range. I had the 8" dob and I loved the bearing. If possible, have a knob to alter stiction or lock it.

Thank you. That is everything I needed to know. I plan on having a clutch / brake. I can now sit down and design it.

I’ve used this one before, I think it is higher rated as the bearings are between the horizontal surfaces, rather than in the groove between the two rings if that makes sense?

IMG_0366.png

IMG_0367.png

9 minutes ago, Mandy D said:

@Stu that makes perfect sense as it is a thrust bearing, so carries the load better in a horizontal orientation.

But a taper roller is better at centering and those flat plate ones have more slop than the ring ones. I have both and much prefer the ring type. It's currently carrying my 18". The flat one is also quite noisy. I have not lubricated it yet though. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, skybadger said:

But a taper roller is better at centering and those flat plate ones have more slop than the ring ones. I have both and much prefer the ring type. It's currently carrying my 18". The flat one is also quite noisy. I have not lubricated it yet though. 

I just found that if I tightened the centre nut up too much to get the right tension, they get quite notchy, the other kind didn’t for me. I didn’t find any slop either . I guess they aren’t expensive so Mandy could always try both?

32 minutes ago, Mandy D said:

Are your supports for the tube a long way out so they sit over the bearing? I'm planning to have mine as close to the tube as practicable, so a smaller bearing would make more sense for me.

Here's the base on the bearing.

DSC_0230_DxO1200.jpg.6719a8fa44073de469304771d6f0ccce.jpg

And here's the whole thing.

DSC_0307_DxO1200.jpg.095290a234f21f032ad04f14709c0684.jpg

No space left over :wink2:

These bearing do come dry, so you have to grease them. Once done you can tighten the central knob as much as you need and it remains really smooth.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

Here's the base on the bearing.

DSC_0230_DxO1200.jpg.6719a8fa44073de469304771d6f0ccce.jpg

And here's the whole thing.

DSC_0307_DxO1200.jpg.095290a234f21f032ad04f14709c0684.jpg

No space left over :wink2:

These bearing do come dry, so you have to grease them. Once done you can tighten the central knob as much as you need and it remains really smooth.

I should probably have checked mine.  Never greased it lol.

I stuck a teflon pads (b&q ones for sliding furniture) stuck back to back in the the centre.  It provides just a hint of friction when tightening the central knob and was just the right thickness.

@Mr Spock Ah, I see what you have done now.  Thanks. I'm going to wait until my OTA arrives, then I can get the measurements I need directly off it. I think a range of bearing sizes could work well for this, as long as the uprights are supported adequately. Your azimuth bearing tension adjustment looks neat. I like that your tube just drops into the altitude bearings. A lot of good ideas here. I have more facilities for metal working, so I am going to stick with making it from aluminium. I can cut weight by removing metal where it is not needed.

Mine's on a lazy susan (8 inch dob), done by the previous owner, and it doesn't have a clutch or a brake and is a pain. Smooth, but unless I stuff my plastic mobile phone case into the gap it wanders around all over the place. Don't skimp on the brake / clutch :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mr_belowski said:

Mine's on a lazy susan (8 inch dob), done by the previous owner, and it doesn't have a clutch or a brake and is a pain. Smooth, but unless I stuff my plastic mobile phone case into the gap it wanders around all over the place. Don't skimp on the brake / clutch :)

It will definitely have something to hold it on target. That is one of the aims. I think Mr Spock's idea of a central bolt to control pressure on the bearing looks viable.

I can second the roller bearing that Mr Spock detailed previously. Once lubricated it's extremely smooth throughout. I have the same scope as him with the centre tensioner screw.

Edited by bosun21

Just now, mr_belowski said:

I did try with a bolt through the middle to add some tension / vertical load to the bearing but it made it a bit sticky. I think it needs some proper friction material

I will look into that when I build mine. I need it to hold rock steady for photography.

• 2 months later...

Hello - I'm new to this thread. I picked up a used skywatcher 200p dob this week - tried it tonight and the two things I really do not like are 1. the finder scope & 2 the rotation bearing in the base (or the lack of one) which makes it so hard to nudge smoothly, I have tried adjusting the central bolt and putting some silicone on the sliders but with no real improvement. Certainly inferior to my skywatcher heritage 150 I guess partly because of the greater weight of the 200.  The red dot finder on the heritage works much better for me so I will add one of those. But I like this idea of the lazy susan and will order one - I would love to hear what size is likely to work best on this scope - I thought the largest diameter that will fit on the base will be best but Mandy D I can see the logic of putting it as close to the base of the supports as that is where the weight is?

I'd love to see a picture / diagram of a way to add friction to the system that would be great

50 minutes ago, cimh said:

Hello - I'm new to this thread. I picked up a used skywatcher 200p dob this week - tried it tonight and the two things I really do not like are 1. the finder scope & 2 the rotation bearing in the base (or the lack of one) which makes it so hard to nudge smoothly, I have tried adjusting the central bolt and putting some silicone on the sliders but with no real improvement. Certainly inferior to my skywatcher heritage 150 I guess partly because of the greater weight of the 200.  The red dot finder on the heritage works much better for me so I will add one of those. But I like this idea of the lazy susan and will order one - I would love to hear what size is likely to work best on this scope - I thought the largest diameter that will fit on the base will be best but Mandy D I can see the logic of putting it as close to the base of the supports as that is where the weight is?

I'd love to see a picture / diagram of a way to add friction to the system that would be great

I am surprised about this. My Skywatcher 200P hasn’t had any treatment since new as I didn’t want to risk contaminating it. I agree that the finder needs replacing though and that is why I changed mine to a RACI and Telrad.

9 hours ago, Spile said:

I am surprised about this. My Skywatcher 200P hasn’t had any treatment since new as I didn’t want to risk contaminating it. I agree that the finder needs replacing though and that is why I changed mine to a RACI and Telrad.

Thank you Spile. It surprised me too - I struggle to think skywatcher would sell something that's so difficult to nudge smoothly. I didn't put it together as it was used but it looks to be in perfect condition. It has the 3 rectangular teflon pads around the edge and the disc one in the middle. So that seems right  -perhaps dust or maybe the silicone spray made things worse  so I'll clean it all up and try again before going the lazy susan way.

I have recently acquired a 200P dob as well. I've not owned one for over a decade. Mine was practically unused and I've made 2 changes to it:

- replaced the straight through finder with a 9x50 RACI one. That is my usual finding arrangement with my scopes.

- cut a large diameter "washer" from a plastic milk carton and placed that between the teflon washer supplied with the scope and the bottom board of the mount. This takes a little of the weight of the scope off the teflon pads which makes the azimuth movement a lot smoother and almost eliminates jerkiness altogether. Some folks find that 2 of these milk carton washers are needed but in the case of my scope, one did the trick.

Otherwise I'm very pleased with the scope. Optically it is excellent - I had forgotten just how good these things are 🙂

I had a couple of dobs in the past that had lazy susan bearings (8 and a 12 inch) but found those too loose in azimuth movement so I had to install friction pads to counter that !

Dobs always seem to need some tweaking in my experience, annoying though that can be 🙄