Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

TV eyepiece survey

~

Today, I answered the nine-question email survey.

All I want them to change is to lose the accursed undercuts.

We'll see.

• Like 2

I completed it too and also asked for undercuts to be removed, not for myself you understand, I have never had any problems with them at all, not once, but I know other people do. I only use Everbrite diagonals with my eyepieces set so perhaps that is why. I once read that TV gear, a bit like Apple works best within its own ecosystem, that’s my experience anyway. 

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see if designs change as a result of this. I have completed it as well.

In the past Al Nagler has not been keen to remove undercuts when asked the question but I believe that he is at least partially retired now so his son and others may have more influence.

I have to confess that I don't find undercuts a particular problem but for the sake of others I did say in the survey that they should be re-considered.

• Like 1

Tele Vue is never going to remove the undercuts on barrels.

It's pointless to ask.

As they say, colloquially, in the south of the US, "That dog don't hunt".

Where Tele Vue is concerned, it's a moot point.

I notice they asked whether we considered it important which country was the source of the optics.  Hmmm.

Edited by Don Pensack
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Don Pensack said:

I notice they asked whether we considered it important which country was the source of the optics.  Hmmm.

I thought that was odd too. However I notice on the other channel some comments about Chinese made gear which made me feel uncomfortable, heading towards racism I thought, but perhaps I am being over sensitive. Certainly some seem far more comfortable by from Taiwan rather than mainland China. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Don Pensack said:

1 hour ago, Voxish said:

However I notice on the other channel some comments about Chinese made gear which made me feel uncomfortable,

Some people have an intense dislike, or strong negativity, towards anything Chinese made. They seem to forget that without a lot of Chinese astronomical equipment the hobby would be a lot less affordable or accessible.

• Like 11

No undercut Tele Vue T7 Nagler Advanced in full 2.5 - 40 mm series / 82º with some 22-24 mm eye relief and adjustable eye guard , made with Japan manufactured glass & USA quality management 🧐

25 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

Some people have an intense dislike, or strong negativity, towards anything Chinese made. They seem to forget that without a lot of Chinese astronomical equipment the hobby would be a lot less affordable or accessible.

I couldn’t agree more 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JeremyS said:

I prefer to buy optics from certain countries and not others, if possible. I appreciate it that TV EPs are manufactured in USA or Taiwan.

Well I have to confess that none of my gear is made in China, not a thing. That’s entirely coincidental though. I honestly couldn’t give a hoot where anything is made as long as it works as expected. Without the Chinese literally thousands of people would never have the chance to own a telescope. I don’t own a reflector, but there are not too many which aren’t Chinese and I for one would rather deal with FLO to buy a SW dob than go anywhere near OO.

48 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

Just now, Voxish said:

Well I have to confess that none of my gear is made in China, not a thing.

Well, not gonna lie , if not for the large number of Chinese manufactured refractors , the chances of me , a humble boi from the outskirts having an APO would be ...astronomical...hmm, there's a pun tho unintended 😊

• Like 3

Just now, Bivanus said:

Well, not gonna lie , if not for the large number of Chinese manufactured refractors , the chances of me , a humble boi from the outskirts having an APO would be ...astronomical...hmm, there's a pun tho unintended 😊

Exactly 👍 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Voxish said:

Well I have to confess that none of my gear is made in China, not a thing. That’s entirely coincidental though. I honestly couldn’t give a hoot where anything is made as long as it works as expected. Without the Chinese literally thousands of people would never have the chance to own a telescope. I don’t own a reflector, but there are not too many which aren’t Chinese and I for one would rather deal with FLO to buy a SW dob than go anywhere near OO.

I take it then you are not very happy with your Orion Optics 10in Dob, what's wrong with it.

John

1 hour ago, johnturley said:

I take it then you are not very happy with your Orion Optics 10in Dob, what's wrong with it.

John

Oh that went years ago. The only thing wrong with it was it was a Newtonian. I foolishly bought one new later on as a second scope when I ran into OO’s legendary customer service 

Edited by Voxish

21 hours ago, JeremyS said:

I prefer to buy optics from certain countries and not others, if possible. I appreciate it that TV EPs are manufactured in USA or Taiwan.

Tele Vue eyepieces are made in Japan or Taiwan.  Not one is made in the U.S.A.

• Like 2

I tried to fill the original survey, it fell over, for once TV accepted an email about it.

I completed the survey once fixed.

The undercuts was an interesting question to ask, so show the message has been received, perhaps not liked but received.
David Nagler get quite upset at an Astrofest about me not liking undercuts, I sold my TV kit in a huff and regretted it of course, so bought things back again. Still dislike the undercuts though.

Country of manufacture was an interesting one, but TV being all American made in Taiwan and Japan by I expect a third party made me smile, at the end of the day, the design, build quality and just as important quality control that matters.

Watch this space if feedback on the survey is forthcoming?

• Like 1

On 07/01/2024 at 17:14, Saganite said:

Well I do not like damned undercuts, so I will hope.

I think it's disgraceful that TeleVue would ignore their customers grumblings. Who do they think they are, Takahashi?

• Haha 6

17 hours ago, Don Pensack said:

Tele Vue eyepieces are made in Japan or Taiwan.  Not one is made in the U.S.A.

I assume the same could be said for scopes, yet my frac has a made in the USA sticker on it.

4 hours ago, Voxish said:

I assume the same could be said for scopes, yet my frac has a made in the USA sticker on it.

They are probably telling the truth. The sticker would almost certainly have been made in the USA. 😆

The only thing that really matters at the end of the day, is that the eyepieces and telescopes deliver as expected. Very often, they deliver beyond expectations when conditions permit, regardless of origin.

• Like 1