Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

TV eyepiece survey

I just remembered I also have serious issues trying to get eyepieces to stay seated level in my Arcturus binoviewer eyepiece holders because the nylon split-ring in the collet is right on the upper taper of most eyepiece undercuts.  As a result, it follows the path of least resistance and pops the eyepiece upward as the ring contracts.  This is not an issue with smooth eyepiece barrels.

Sure, you could argue the collet split-ring should be wider to avoid this issue, but the same issue has happened to me with some diagonals having their thumbscrew set too close to the top.  Again, no problems with smooth barrels in those oddball diagonals.

• Like 2

I use Baader Clicklocks and a Tak  diagonal with a twist lock. Most of my EPs are the Morpheus range, which have 'safety kerfs'. All this means I just don't get hangups.

• Like 2

To be honest it’s a marmite thing with undercuts.

Each of us have had differing experiences with them,
the older shallower tv ones gave me little issue, the improved ones that feel deeper and have
ab angle on one side, snag.

When asked in what diagonal that was, simple, the TV one I had at the time!