NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First light code of conduct?

Sunshine

No, I have not yet had a chance to test my new scope, but thinking about doing so made me think about first light reports. Have you ever been hesitant to write a first light report that happened to be on a really cruddy night where both you and the scope were robbed of a fair chance? I never have but I certainly gave it thought. First light is first light however you slice it but, is there a point to reporting if there was no point in going out on a particular night where the scope was not fairly tested? This does happen to all of us. In which case we wasted a first light report when days later conditions are better and that satisfying first light report can be shared, but no, it won’t be your first light as your thunder was stolen by a disappointing first light report just days earlier. Should we tell a white lie and ignore that unsavory report in favor of the one where satisfaction was achieved? interesting thought. On a side note, how many of you have had first light scary moments which you would like to share, those Omg what is wrong with my scope moments which left you in a cold sweat. 😮

Edited by Sunshine
  • Like 1

No need for ‘Facebook Perfect Lives’ on SGL 🤣, if it all goes pear shaped then we’ve all been there so just go with it whatever happens.

I’ve certainly had times where I worry that a new scope is bad, just because seeing conditions aren’t good so you just have to keep the faith until you get a good session in. I had three stabs at mine for the FS-128 as the first session wasn’t that great.

• Like 4

Stu is correct.

We all know the vagaries of weather and what you see on first light is not really important.  I am more interested in your 'first light ' experience, however it turns out, what you experience and feel is what the report should be about, your joy using a new to you scope.  Everyone knows how good an FS128 is, when the weather obliges.....🙂

• Like 2

I generally don't report on something in any detail until I've had a few sessions with it under varying conditions and on a variety of targets. That can mean quite a long time elapsing between aquisition and feeding back on it in any meaningful way.

I don't think that matters though. We all understand thats how it is. I'd much rather read a considered report by an owner who has spent some time using a piece of equipment.

The ones posted by @DirkSteele are a good example. 

Come to think of it, I don't think I've posted a detailed report on any of my scopes. They get "mentioned in dispatches" as it were but they are tools to do a job and it is what is being observed that is more important, IMHO.

Edited by John
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My initial sessions with my ST120 (my first proper scope alongside a MC127) made me think it had a problem with astigmatism... until I eventually worked out it was my eyes and not the scope.

First light reports are enjoyable to read and I find the very informative but objectively I suppose last light reports would be when we know most about a scope that we own, but where's the excitement in that?! 

• Like 2

I see no problem reporting a first light when conditions are not good. Just mention the conditions and qualify any conclusion. In our eagerness to get a piece of new kit out, we often are tempted to rush it out under conditions we would normally give a pass. Very often you can still get an idea of what the new piece of kit might do (and at least you know it works).

• Like 2

First light is just that, a first light.  So long as you've actually manage to get it out and have a look through, then you are doing the job.

That being said, @SteveNickolls ongoing review of his GEM28 is absolutely magic.  Great way of doing a long term review of a scope/mount.

• Like 4

My most recent first light was with my 102ED around three years ago. It was significant as it was my first experience of a good quality medium sized apo, having used mainly mirrored scopes for years. First light was perhaps a bit underwhelming, but subsequent sessions revealed to me a lot about what the scope could do on different types of object, so the first light report was really just the start of an interesting journey of discovery.  If conditions aren’t good for a first light report? I think I might still have posted to convey how I got on with the weight, length, focuser, cooling, etc. 

• Like 4

For some reason I keep forgetting to post first light reports. I think my last one was with the Starfield. I have had three scopes come and go since then for which I forgot first light reports. I will reprimand myself and definitely write one for my new one.

• Like 1

First light is merely a shakedown run, a check to make sure it all works as it should.

The first ride on my £8k carbon bike was a 20km commute.

The first drive in my Aston Martin...was from the dealership to my home.

First light on my FS60-CB was 10mins on Mizar.

Only one of the above is true😉, can you guess which?

Edited by Roy Challen
  • Haha 4