Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi from Glossop England

tonyglossop

Hi all, I'm Tony, i am new to this astronomy hobby, Read a lot and watched hours and hours of youtube video's I've just bought ( and just arrived ) a seestar s50. not had a clear night since, in fact I haven't used my other gear I bought earlier this year, Sky-Watcher Evostar 72 ED DS with Field flattner, Az-GTI-mount, -Az-GTI-mount wedge,  ZWO ASI224MC  CAMERA, SVBONY SV 198 guide scope ,  Canon EOS 600D DSLR Camera with  bare sensor conversion, ASIAIR Plus,  ZWO Automatic Focuser EAF, ZWO EAF Hand Controller. Classic case of " all the gear, no idea ) 🙂 Hope to learn a lot more now .

• Like 2

Welcome Tony! Although reading your description of gear you haven't used makes me feel like a starving peasant watching Henry VIII at a feast leaving his food uneaten! You have some excellent kit and there are many people who can fill in the "no idea" gaps for you here. 

20 minutes ago, Bugdozer said:

Welcome Tony! Although reading your description of gear you haven't used makes me feel like a starving peasant watching Henry VIII at a feast leaving his food uneaten! You have some excellent kit and there are many people who can fill in the "no idea" gaps for you here. 

I like your comment, thank you  🙂 retirement has it's perks, the irony of it is I couldn't have afforded it when I was working !!!!!

Edited by tonyglossop
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, fozzybear said:

Welcome Tony to SGL Me an ex Manc. Nice dark skies in Glossop. Enjoy and ask away no stupid questions here.

Thany you, quite dark in the back garden, can go to the top of the snake pass in 5 mins in car and put the seestar s50 on the roof of the car for a while so quite lucky.

1 hour ago, tonyglossop said:

Thany you, quite dark in the back garden, can go to the top of the snake pass in 5 mins in car and put the seestar s50 on the roof of the car for a while so quite lucky.

the snake pass Inn pub fond memories

On 07/11/2023 at 19:57, drdre2030 said:

Welcome to SGL! Sounds like got all the gear, and no sky! It will come I'm sure! 

Cheers, as a complete novice  , it will be interesting  from my point of veiw to see the difference on a clear night the results from my Skywatcher setup and the seestar. At least now I should get some good results from the Seestar, as that seems totally idiot proof 🙄 but I am looking forward to learning the intricacies of the skywatcher, ASIAir setup, longer exposures , guiding, etc. I never realised there were so few clear sky nights till I took up this hobby !!!!

Quick shout out to FLO, ordered my Seestar early Sept, delivered 5 weeks later, great service.👍

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, tonyglossop said:

Cheers, as a complete novice  , it will be interesting  from my point of veiw to see the difference on a clear night the results from my Skywatcher setup and the seestar. At least now I should get some good results from the Seestar, as that seems totally idiot proof 🙄 but I am looking forward to learning the intricacies of the skywatcher, ASIAir setup, longer exposures , guiding, etc. I never realised there were so few clear sky nights till I took up this hobby !!!!

Quick shout out to FLO, ordered my Seestar early Sept, delivered 5 weeks later, great service.👍

Well I'm the novice to the novice, my daughter for her 11th birthday wanted a telescope...so we got the Zhummel Z100 (basically the same as the Heritage 100P), used it for the first time last night.

Was good, I don't think we have it set up probably yet, but it was good enough and lined up the RDS enough for some point and view, saw Jupiter which she was very excited to have seen. Feel we definitely need something with a bit more magnification though, and it did inspire me to stay out in the cold for hours messing around with my DSLR too - didn't result in many good shots. 😂

Enjoy though, and make the most of (when they occur) any clear nights! 😁

3 minutes ago, drdre2030 said:

Well I'm the novice to the novice, my daughter for her 11th birthday wanted a telescope...so we got the Zhummel Z100 (basically the same as the Heritage 100P), used it for the first time last night.

Was good, I don't think we have it set up probably yet, but it was good enough and lined up the RDS enough for some point and view, saw Jupiter which she was very excited to have seen. Feel we definitely need something with a bit more magnification though, and it did inspire me to stay out in the cold for hours messing around with my DSLR too - didn't result in many good shots. 😂

Enjoy though, and make the most of (when they occur) any clear nights! 😁

I've seen some great results just with a dslr and a skywatcher AZ-GTI MOUNT with eq wedge like mine and the free ( I think ) Sky Safari software. Really put out that this hobby is so reliant on clear skies, that's why I bought the Seestar so if there is a slightly cloudy sky it will get some images in between them without a load of setting up time.

1 hour ago, tonyglossop said:

I've seen some great results just with a dslr and a skywatcher AZ-GTI MOUNT with eq wedge like mine and the free ( I think ) Sky Safari software. Really put out that this hobby is so reliant on clear skies, that's why I bought the Seestar so if there is a slightly cloudy sky it will get some images in between them without a load of setting up time.

Yeah still a lot more than I have! Spent £68 on the scope, and the D5500 I've had for ages now no money for any big equipment, however tempting I know it will become! 

Sounds a good balance you have though as the set up time I think I would lose interest quickly too.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tony, I am in the same boat and local to you in Stockport, in that I have very recently started to explore AstroPhotography having been a long-time on/off stargazer.

I have started small, investing in a Dwarf II portable telescope as an entry device and I have my eye on a more mid-range setup depending on whether I get bitten by the bug. I am, however, I am struggling for accessible locations around the Peaks or Cheshire where light pollution is minimal. So any hints/tips welcome. 🙂

Happy to link up over Email etc

Edited by c00lh4nd
Updated