Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter transit with Io

Barv

Hi Guys

Not posted much on here lately due to losing my account credentials.

I thought I'd share with you an image of Jupiter taken with the 11" Mak under steady seeing/transparency on the night of the 15/16th October. much has been said on here about correct sampling, - my ideal f ratio for sampling is around F15. The live view was that good that I decided to put on a 2.5X TV power-mate  which would give me around F22. I personally have found that I get my best images in good seeing when oversampled. 

I had originally set up for mono imaging, but had the settings wrong on the new camera, so couldn't obtain a frame rate of more than 1.5 fps. I transferred over to the ASI 462 coloured cam at the last minute, so pleased that the session wasn't a disaster!

Regards

Harvey

45-downsized-JupiterandIO-23.31.1.png

• Like 23

On 21/10/2023 at 13:15, knobby said:

That's lovely, how long does the 11“ take to reach thermal equilibrium?

It's pretty quick actually, I generally put a fan on at the bottom of the OTA. What makes a huge difference is that I have the whole tube wrapped in silver foil.

Thanks for your comment

Regards

Harvey

• Like 1

As I said the the CN forum this is a fabulous capture Harvey! One of the best UK shots this year for sure.

On this particular image I can see some artifacts on Jupiter, possibly image compression as the text is distorted?

Edited by Space Cowboy

13 hours ago, Space Cowboy said:

As I said the the CN forum this is a fabulous capture Harvey! One of the best UK shots this year for sure.

On this particular image I can see some artifacts on Jupiter, possibly image compression as the text is distorted?

Thanks Stuart. That's interesting. I think I did some minor denoising after posting on CN. That's probably why the text is distorted, - I was just too lazy to write it up again, - LOL. 

This particular image was just 5 no 40 second captures combined in Winjupos. So, I think the artifact you are mentioning is slight edge distortion due to stretching. I did try to remove it using the deringing function in Registax, but couldn't. I do have another 5 captures that I could still combine in Winjupos, but am still working and have been time short. I will get round to doing it soon though.

Best wishes

Harvey