NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Bloody gamekeepers

Mr H in Yorkshire

2 hours ago, Mr H in Yorkshire said:

In respect of the the original thread, for the uninitiated, here is a heather burn. The smoke tail is about 2 miles long and the air stinks.

Ugh.

I hope that is not pointed my way !
I am a little surprised to hear that it stinks though, as heather is quite a pleasant little umm herb ? shrub ?
At least it was when I used to go bleaberry picking in my youth, dont do that any more down here on account of the ticks :( 

Edited by MalcolmP

20 hours ago, Sunshine said:

Ever watch Dr.Who? that’s the most recognized phone booth on earth.

That was a Police Box. They could be used by the public and police to communicate with the police station and before the police officers on the beat were issued with radio telephony, etc.

12 hours ago, Mr H in Yorkshire said:

Isn't it amazing how threads evolve! Yesterday, last post was explaining what a heather burn was, and today wake up to Dr Who's tardis. Anyway, I retract my whinge, the weather is cloudy again for the foreseeable future. I love Yorkshire despite.

Let’s not forget the AA [Automobile Association] and RAC [Royal Automobile Club] also had phone boxes.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, saac said:

Does anybody recognise this famous phone box - no googling unless desperate :) 

Do little people live there or do they write very big letters, capital somewhere ?

I didnt say that - I've been hacked by a bandit.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, RT65CB-SWL said:

Let’s not forget the AA [Automobile Association] , , , had phone boxes.

Somewhere, in my attic, you will still find my key, as well as a two-part metal silver and enameled yellow badge. The salute was more difficult to preserve !

Edited by MalcolmP
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, globular said:

Would Edward know? I think he would.

Amazing to see Peter Capaldi in this,  apparently he was 24  - how time changes us all.  Brilliant movie and brilliant soundtrack. 

Jim 

I live in Scotland where setting fire to the hillsides was once like some sort of ritual to appease their gods, the land owners.

But in recent years, even before Covid, it has be actively discouraged, we no longer lose our hills a grey smoke induced smog while our village doesn,t have it's cap of foul smelling open cast coal smog every cold night. Perhaps the way to go is to talk to local environment agencies about air quality.

Cyril

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Knighty2112 said:

If you live in my neck of the woods in ‘ull (or if you want the posher name we also go by the longer moniker of Kingston Upon Hull) we had (and still do) have our own telephone exchange, so we had white coloured phone boxes rather than red ones which everybody outside of the Hull area in the UK had. Not quite sure what quirk of history caused this. 

Here’s two outside the old Lowgate Post Office in centre of said city! Not been past this place for a while, so not sure if they are still there! 

IMG_3125.jpeg.8f5d3f20cdd4334d137e4f5d41ba5c5b.jpeg

It is a quirk of history. It goes back to Pre BT days when telephone networks could set up by the Local Authorities. From Memory Hull and Portsmouth were the only 2 that made a go of it. Portsmouth ultimately became part of BT but Hull has always remained separate and BT have to purchase network from KCom to deliver service in Hull.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1

Over here it’s Gorse burning, again seemingly a bi-annual ritual, just before the end of March and just after the start of September. But two recent such dates caused local outrage, such that the authorities finally decided to prosecute some local farmers, successfully. Thus the start of this latest September saw almost no fires as far as I could make out (I have an unparalleled view of the locale). That people think it’s OK to start fires like this in these times, especially after a long long dry spell such as was the case here, bemuses me.

This was the fire that tipped the balance. It’s my own pic, making the local papers and I’ve even seen it lifted onto a couple of local-interest websites (they’re welcome). It’s from this March I think, Mount Gabriel on fire, taken at ten miles distance. The powersthatbe were within a whisker of shutting down the air-traffic control radar domes atop that hill, Europe’s western-most, one of which is silhouetted.

Magnus

_MG_0452_mtgabrielonfire.thumb.jpeg.e7e05b466559a066992d76b348add618.jpeg

Edited by Captain Scarlet
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 15/10/2023 at 23:36, Sunshine said:

Ever watch Dr.Who? that’s the most recognized phone booth on earth.

Ahem! Police Post I think you'll find.

A facility to allow Joe/ Josephine Public to contact Plod before the days of widespread home phone ownership OR (more importantly) for Constable Dixon to shelter from inclement weather or report in to his (or her) superiors before the advent of the Pye Pocketfone PF1 2 piece personal radio.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Swoop1 said:

Ahem! Police Post I think you'll find.

A facility to allow Joe/ Josephine Public to contact Plod before the days of widespread home phone ownership OR (more importantly) for Constable Dixon to shelter from inclement weather or report in to his (or her) superiors before the advent of the Pye Pocketfone PF1 2 piece personal radio.

Damn it, I always thought they were time machines!

Jim 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 16/10/2023 at 17:27, Mr H in Yorkshire said:

In respect of the the original thread, for the uninitiated, here is a heather burn. The smoke tail is about 2 miles long and the air stinks.

DSCN0804.JPG

Reported that the Moorland Association Director has been convicted today at Skipton Magistrates Court. Three counts of burning on deep peat on Middlesmoor Estate grouse moor, Nidderdale.  

Moorland Association Director Ben Ramsden convicted for burning on deep peat on Middlesmoor Estate grouse moor, Nidderdale – Raptor Persecution UK

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 16/10/2023 at 19:56, saac said:

Those white phone boxes are seriously posh. Does anybody recognise this famous phone box - no googling unless desperate :) 

Jim 

5UFCGOE63DTBXXUCTUYO.jpg

I believe the film (not necessarily the best film ever, but one of many people's top 5) is available on the Channel 4 Catch Up service for the next few days. 

Spoiler for the Film Name under this link

ETA - Ooops, accidentally given away that it's associated with a film. 

Edited by Gfamily
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Gfamily said:

I believe the film (not necessarily the best film ever, but one of many people's top 5) is available on the Channel 4 Catch Up service for the next few days. 

Spoiler for the Film Name under this link

ETA - Ooops, accidentally given away that it's associated with a film. 

Good spot, guess what I'm watching tomorrow :)   I agree, not the best ever and a bit dated perhaps now, but it does have a cult following.  I think the soundtrack makes it. 

Jim 

17 hours ago, Mr H in Yorkshire said:

I have met Ramsden on a number of occasions, he's a charming fellow but when there's money to be made...

Might come across as superficially 'charming', but a lust for greed and environmental criminality is apparent. Stronger effective licencing, the same as that being introduced into Scotland is essential for England. Better still an outright ban.  

• Like 1