NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Ganymede transit 28 Sep 2023

BGazing

Seeing looked rough and I was tweaking focus between captures endlessly...so was kinda surprised to see this result. Video derotation 6 minutes, 12K best frames (about 25 percent of the total). C11 again, still have not returned it.

Comments and suggestions welcome, on processing especially, always looking to improve.

2023-09-28-2159_2-DeRot_lapl6_ap79.png FIN

• Like 22

18 hours ago, BGazing said:

Seeing looked rough and I was tweaking focus between captures endlessly...so was kinda surprised to see this result. Video derotation 6 minutes, 12K best frames (about 25 percent of the total). C11 again, still have not returned it.

Comments and suggestions welcome, on processing especially, always looking to improve.

2023-09-28-2159_2-DeRot_lapl6_ap79.png FIN

Looks like, due to Jupiter's varying inclination (only 3 degrees though), Ganymede is only just touching the Jovian disc, I assume Callisto will be missing it completely. 

John 

Edited by johnturley

5 hours ago, morimarty said:

Thats a great capture of Jupiter and it's satellite. The detail on Ganymede is superb. Was Ganymede deroted or did you do a composite image.

5 hours ago, johnturley said:

Looks like, due to Jupiter's varying inclination (only 3 degrees though), Ganymede is only just touching the Jovian disc, I assume Callisto will be missing it completely. 

John 

Thank you, everyone. This was indeed derotation of video, and to my surprise it turned out good. Perhaps it was because Ganymede is slow.

I thought this derotation (click for time and date) had better seeing, but for some reason details in the disc look the same, Ganymede...well, not sure there.

2023-09-11-0012_8-derot_lapl6_ap89

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Space Hopper said:

Stunningly good capture and processing 👍🏼

I think its safe to say the seeing and other conditions are rather better in Serbia than they are here........

Thank you. :)

As for conditions, well...we have planets 6 or so degrees higher and I'd say that I've never seen clouds run accross the sky as quickly as they do over England. But some of the best planetary images have indeed been shot from the UK...gentle rolling hills and laminary flow can work magic.

I shoot from the city and from a tiny balcony in the city center. Paradoxically, sometimes it is really a fairly good spot - city pollution (we have plenty) dampens heat exchange, and balcony is lifted above ground turbulences.

Second image was done from our dark site at approx 1000m above sea level.

Sadly, if pollution is at its worst you know the seeing will be great. Coatings may suffer, but YOLO 😄

Edited by BGazing
  • Like 1