NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SEPT 6TH - SAHARAN DUST IN THE ATMOSPHERE TONIGHT

paulastro

At least there is in Yorkshire according to the tea time local weather forecast.   Enough to make the sunsets redder apparently. 

Do be aware if you're thinking of leaving your scope optics open to the elements for very long this evening just in case.

It wouldn't be the first time if I woke to a layer of red dust on the car in the morning.  Its certainly looking  rather murky outside.

Although we had a cloudless sky at sunset, it did not have that vivid cyan colour that indicates good transparency and the horizon seemed to be a dirty grey colour. Sure enough I can see very few stars in murky darkness now - it ain’t good out there.

It's just cloudy here tonight. We often get nice sunsets here but that was clouded out as well. 

Last time we had a saharan sand influx here I took this snap of the sun at mid morning. The cars did pick up a fine coating of pink dust on that occasion. If I cropped the tree branches out it could have been taken on Mars 😁

1610171025am.thumb.JPG.97cf15597d0565d02a362ba9cb260eac.JPG

Edited by John
  • Like 2

That explains the dust all over my car too! I guess it also explains why I was able to look at the sun directly as it rose yesterday and today, quite amazing being able to see it like that, just a shame there weren’t any naked eye sunspots to look for.

20 hours ago, paulastro said:

At least there is in Yorkshire according to the tea time local weather forecast.   Enough to make the sunsets redder apparently. 

Do be aware if you're thinking of leaving your scope optics open to the elements for very long this evening just in case.

It wouldn't be the first time if I woke to a layer of red dust on the car in the morning.  Its certainly looking  rather murky outside.

I thought someone had slung mud on my windscreen this morning. It was you wasn't it!