SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

StarChair discussion

John

My astro society were recently gifted this amazing setup. We are currently installing it at our observatory in a special roll-off type housing. The chair is motorised and controlled with a joystick. The instrument (which we were also given) is the Fuji Meibo 25 x 150mm binoculars - which are huge !!! 😮

Hopefully it will all be up and running for the return of darker nights in the Autumn. I'm certainly looking forward to having a go 😁

post-30168-14073846280642.jpg.6851901af39e4ca2c4ebc6b3716b284f.jpg

• Like 25

On 26/06/2023 at 17:40, John said:

My astro society were recently gifted this amazing setup. We are currently installing it at our observatory in a special roll-off type housing. The chair is motorised and controlled with a joystick. The instrument (which we were also given) is the Fuji Meibo 25 x 150mm binoculars - which are huge !!! 😮

Hopefully it will all be up and running for the return of darker nights in the Autumn. I'm certainly looking forward to having a go 😁

I spy a StarChair. Regrettably, no longer made, I believe.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

A few years ago I was commissioned to fit an early model of the Fujinon 150 to a Starchair.  I had a number of "rides" on it and found it quite comfortable, sadly the project didn't coincide with some clear weather so I was unable to try the binocular astronomically.  Both the Fujinon and the chair are pretty heavy.     🙂

Edited by Peter Drew
Typo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Peter Drew said:

A few years ago I was commissioned to fit an early model of the Fujinon 150 to a Starchair.  I had a number of "rides" on it and found it quite comfortable, sadly the project didn't coincide with some clear weather so I was unable to try the binocular astronomically.  Both the Fujinon and the chair are pretty heavy.     🙂

C60576BB-74BF-484A-9538-DF00FEB699B8.jpeg.75b85ddb6913aee63c9d4220958e7b0a.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

The 150mm binoculars and Starchair are being installed in a purpose build roll-off roof shed at the Bristol Astro Society observatory few miles west of Bristol.

We hold public observation events there as regularly as the weather allows.

The other instruments are a very high tech 12 inch Meade ACF installation within a dome and an 18 inch NGT newtonian in a roll-off shed.

• Like 3

Does the chair have any kind of reference system so you know where you are pointing John, or is it point and pan from your first known reference point. Either way, I want one 😉

20 hours ago, bomberbaz said:

Does the chair have any kind of reference system so you know where you are pointing John, or is it point and pan from your first known reference point. Either way, I want one 😉

I don't know yet - when it is up and running I hope to have some test drives.

I believe that it can be connected to a GOTO system on a mobile device but such things are not my forte 🙄

• Like 1

My astro society were recently gifted this amazing setup

Hi John, your introduction of a sub-thread about the Starchair is interesting but I think it could do with a separate entry. Anyone searching for info on the Starchair will likely miss this if it's embedded in a different topic and that would be a pity. Unless you object I will ask a moderator to do that. Cheers.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mr H in Yorkshire said:

Hi John, your introduction of a sub-thread about the Starchair is interesting but I think it could do with a separate entry. Anyone searching for info on the Starchair will likely miss this if it's embedded in a different topic and that would be a pity. Unless you object I will ask a moderator to do that. Cheers.

No problem if that can be done. I don't want to distract from your original thread 🙂

• Stu changed the title to StarChair discussion
4 hours ago, Stu said:

Hopefully the surgery has been completed successfully; not so easy on a phone! Let me know if any reconstructive work is needed!

It looks pristine @Stu 🙂

Many thanks 👍

I was up at the observatory a few days ago. We are awaiting the delivery and erection of the shed that will house the starchair and binoculars.

Hopefully we can have 1st light when the darker skies are here in the Autumn 😁 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, John said:

I was up at the observatory a few days ago.

I am very pleased that your Starchair topic can now see the full light of day, it was too good to be buried . That equipment is absolutely amazing and I will be following progress keenly. Did I ask, what would you do about maintenance or repair if ever it was needed?

6 minutes ago, Mr H in Yorkshire said:

I am very pleased that your Starchair topic can now see the full light of day, it was too good to be buried . That equipment is absolutely amazing and I will be following progress keenly. Did I ask, what would you do about maintenance or repair if ever it was needed?

I think we will need to sort out repairs / maintenance for the chair from within our own resources. The binoculars I suspect we could get serviced somewhere if needed but there are some very knowledgeable optical experts within our ranks 🤩

This looks astounding 😯 Please invite us all to the star party 😲

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

By pure luck I managed in recent weeks to purchase the last one ever from the builders who are retiring, this was their last one in stock.  It came with ArgoNavis installed and the vixen 100mm binoculars in the pics. I hope to attach my Miyauchi binos at some stage as soon as I can make an appropriate bracket. Its very comfortable and very addictive. A little noisy on full slew in the dead of night when sound carries but otherwise quite tolerable. If you ever get the chance to buy one don't hesitate.

IMG_8478.jpg.e0a997a93ecb092d0a6171e6114e8727.jpgIMG_8479.jpg.2b3b433b63a6f30fcbde988b0effe348.jpgIMG_8480.jpg.056756bf8393aa88645d48d263f2c663.jpg

• Like 6