Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Show us your wide-field scope

Mr Spock

On 29/08/2023 at 11:49, MalcolmM said:

Tak FS60CB  and Masuyama 32mm gives a huge 7.6°

Sometimes I use this combination as a finder, dual mounted with a Mewlon 180 on a Giro Ercole. It's a lovely combination to use.

Malcolm 

20230829_164531.thumb.jpg.4832e03ee8007f77903ba5f8c2d884cc.jpg

astronomy_tools_fov.png.2427995f344b10fe54b31813b45729f1.png

Now I am tempted to buy an FS-60CB to use as a finderscope. Not only that, it looks like the model is on sale.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PatientObserver said:

Now I am tempted to buy an FS-60CB to use as a finderscope. Not only that, it looks like the model is on sale.

Probably my most used scope! It's a joy to use and very easy to use being so small and light, and it puts up great views for a mere 60mm. It'll take x140 (TOE 2.5mm) and beg for more! Go for it 🙂

Malcolm 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, F15Rules said:

You clearly don't live in the UK then..😏🙄

Dave

Aye, I am across the pond. Takahashi America has it for 25% off. I also checked a dealer in Japan and FLO. Neither listed it as a sale, but the prices were both better than in the States, so I thought it might have been a price drop. I expected the Japanese dealer to be less expensive, but not the UK.

Turns out it is a Labor Day sale.

Edited by PatientObserver
  • Like 3

The more I read this thread the more I realise that the APM/StellaLyra 30mm UFF is not just a want but a need. 4.9° TFOV at 14x with a 5.09mm exit pupil in my ZS73 seems like a perfect combination (for everything except my wallet) 😂😱😭

• Like 2

1 minute ago, badhex said:

The more I read this thread the more I realise that the APM/StellaLyra 30mm UFF is not just a want but a need. 4.9° TFOV at 14x with a 5.09mm exit pupil in my ZS73 seems like a perfect combination (for everything except my wallet)

I'd highly recommend that eyepiece. It's sharp right to the edge. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Mr Spock said:

I'd highly recommend that eyepiece. It's sharp right to the edge. 

Oh yes, I have the 24mm and spent many an hour reading about the 30mm trying to find reasons not to buy it but it's beginning to seems like a foregone conclusion! 

On 29/08/2023 at 21:48, John said:

I've posted these quite often but here are my 3.8 degree rig, the Vixen ED102SS + Nagler 31mm, and the more recently put together Altair ED 70mm + Nagler 31 setup which delivers a 6 degrees true field.

These ED doublet refractors (and others posted in this thread) are notable because not only can they deliver views of wide swathes of space but they can also quite comfortably handle, and often exceed, magnifications of 50x per inch under decent conditions and on the right targets. 

Really usable versatility 🙂

vix102nagler31.JPG.b7abfad63a48c50b530c0bd06b535735.JPGaltair70plus31nagler.jpg.561a96769b9f17dd6b1508606d5a1eb2.jpg

Is the Nagler 31mm (85 deg) the goto EP's for this, I have a 30 mm UFF (70 deg) at present?

I'd use in either  a 105 mm F6.25 or 130 mm F6 scope.

Is that extra 12 degrees worth it?

• Like 2

My latest effort with the FS-60CB. An old 2" diagonal with a cut down nosepiece allows the 30mm UFF to come to focus. That's x12 and 6°. And... having just tried it on the hillside opposite, I think the 42mm LVW is there too - that's x9 and 7.7° :ohmy: Exit pupil 6.4 though.

DSC_09622048.thumb.jpg.fb75ecfd242c1db66810ec1120d61501.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Deadlake said:

Is the Nagler 31mm (85 deg) the goto EP's for this, I have a 30 mm UFF (70 deg) at present?

I'd use in either  a 105 mm F6.25 or 130 mm F6 scope.

Is that extra 12 degrees worth it?

I have not used a 30mm UFF so I can't comment on it. I have read a lot of good things about it though.

When observing the largest deep sky objects, any, well corrected, additional true field is welcome for me. With the Veil Nebula, I like to see the E & W segments with some dark sky framing them rather than having them nestling against the field stop so the additional AFoV is worth it to me. I have observed the Veil using 30mm 70 degree eyepieces so I have seen the difference.

If you prefer to see the Veil one piece at a time, which I often do as well, then you don't need that ultra wide AFoV of course.

The Nagler 31 is very expensive to buy these days though - I bought mine, used, well over a decade back. It is without double the eyepiece that I have owned the longest of all my current ones.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

When you compare the price of the SL UFF with the 31mm Nagler, it's 70° at £179 v 82° at £689. £510 more for that extra 12° :ohmy: 

The UFF is sharp right to the edge. Everyone should have one :tongue2:

Luckily for me, my Nagler 31 cost just £200 🙂

• Like 1

The 31 Nag is 82 degrees, not 85 so that makes it even worse value 🤪🤣. Doesn’t stop me loving mine. Cost me £375 for a mount used one fairly recently, John seems to find the real bargains although that was a while again I think.

I’ve never used a UFF, but when I compared the 30mm 82 degree ES with the Nag, the Nag was noticeably better at the edges so is worth the premium in my mind.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, John said:

I've just checked - 14 years ago. Where does that time go ? 😬

Where is the ‘Wow’ emoticon when you need it. Just shows your rational approach vs my impetuousness! I’ve had two in that time, plus a couple of ES 30mm. Won’t let this one go now, I’ve learnt my lesson 🤪

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Stu said:

The 31 Nag is 82 degrees, not 85 so that makes it even worse value 🤪🤣. Doesn’t stop me loving mine. Cost me £375 for a mount used one fairly recently, John seems to find the real bargains although that was a while again I think.

I’ve never used a UFF, but when I compared the 30mm 82 degree ES with the Nag, the Nag was noticeably better at the edges so is worth the premium in my mind.

The 31 Nag is almost 1 kg while there 30 mm UFF is 556 grams.

Good thing my scopes have plenty of glass at the front to balance them. 😀

The last Nagler 31 mm listed on SGL was at £495.

Edited by Deadlake
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Deadlake said:

The 31 Nag is almost 1 kg while there 30 mm UFF is 556 grams.

Good thing my scopes have plenty of glass at the front to balance them. 😀

The last Nagler 31 mm listed on SGL was at £495.

I had the ES 92 12mm and 17mm for a while. They were both noticeably heavier than the Nagler 31. 

My Ethos 21 is a little heavier than the N 31 I think.

You know that moment when you realise how completely dumb you are...

I've been struggling to get enough in focus on the FS-60CB. Why did no-one tell me the Baader click-lock on mine is screwed into a short extension tube of some kind instead of directly on to the focuser tube? DOH!

What an idiot. Now my 2" eyepieces all come to focus with the 2" Baader diagonal, and 1.25" eyepieces with the 2"-1.25" adaptor.

:blush::blush::blush:

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

41 minutes ago, John said:

I had the ES 92 12mm and 17mm for a while. They were both noticeably heavier than the Nagler 31. 

My Ethos 21 is a little heavier than the N 31 I think.

Yep, but it looks less imposing as it doesn’t have the girth.

Oh, and in response to your where does that time go…. never ask that question! It is always longer than you think. I thought a Sky and Telescope cover was 10-15 years old recently and it was pointed out it was back in 2000.

Edited by DirkSteele
Typo, as always
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Mr Spock said:

You know that moment when you realise how completely dumb you are...

I've been struggling to get enough in focus on the FS-60CB. Why did no-one tell me the Baader click-lock on mine is screwed into a short extension tube of some kind instead of directly on to the focuser tube? DOH!

What an idiot. Now my 2" eyepieces all come to focus with the 2" Baader diagonal, and 1.25" eyepieces with the 2"-1.25" adaptor.

:blush::blush::blush:

I was wondering how long it would take you to notice! 😉 (just kidding ). I’ve done similar things with my equipment, realising after several years that a particular screw or knob does something incredibly useful.

Edited by RobertI
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

This wide field scope business has been living in my head rent free so I reckon I'm going to get something to compliment the Mak. Put my back out recently lugging the skyliner about so I think I'm at at the age (35!) Where I meed something more manageable. 🤣

Question about aperture - I'm between the StarTravel 102 and 120 and leaning towards the 102 with an AZ5 mount, as I'll be able to use it with my AZGti mount too. Question is, is the extra 18mm on the 120 going to make enough of a difference that having it permanently on an EQ5 mount and not being able to use the goto with it a good trade off?

Because I have the Mak I won't be looking at planets with it, it'll be for DSO only, and I do still have the skyliner when I need some extra power (and a hernia!).

• Like 2