Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

1 hour ago, bosun21 said:

I have no idea either, but I seem to have found myself in a Takahashi quicksand where I feel myself sinking. For some strange unfathomable reason I don't seem as though I'm making any effort to escape 😂.

I've got a very nice one but don't feel myself yearning for another. I'm pleased that I got a TMB/LZOS as my 130mm scope and some other brands as well for my other scopes. 

I have tried a few Tak eyepieces but I didn't hang on those for long but that is more about my tastes in eyepieces rather than the Tak eyepieces I think. Again, it was nice to try them and "see for myself".

I'm absolutely not knocking Tak of course, they make some really good stuff, but I don't worship the brand either.  

If I had not had the opportunity to own a Tak I would have been very curious though. There is so much talked about on forums about them these days, some of it quite sensible 😉

Edited by John
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, John said:

I've got a very nice one but don't feel myself yearning for another. I'm pleased that I got a TMB/LZOS as my 130mm scope and some other brands as well for my other scopes. 

I have tried a few Tak eyepieces but I didn't hang on those for long but that is more about my tastes in eyepieces rather than the Tak eyepieces I think. Again, it was nice to try them and "see for myself".

I'm absolutely not knocking Tak of course, they make some really good stuff, but I don't worship the brand either.  

If I had not had the opportunity to own a Tak I would have been very curious though. There is so much talked about on forums about them these days, some of it quite sensible 😉

Like eyepieces telescopes can be a very personalised item imo. I am happy with the three scopes I have at present. A 12" dobsonian on an EQ platform, a 6" reflector on a motor driven EQ5 and a Starfield 102 on a full go to EQ5. The only thing I feel is missing is a quick G&G set up for those short sessions squeezed into the cloud gaps. This is what drew me to this thread about the small Tak. I still keep saying to myself though that I should just buy a different brand of small ED doublet and the difference between them would cover the mount for it. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to sleep on it AGAIN 😂.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mr Spock said:

I don't want to add temptation, but if you have a FS-60CB you can purchase a FC-76DC Objective Unit to fit to it. You then have two scopes, a 60 and a 76 :biggrin:

I was looking at this as well. Is there a clam shell for the 76, or would I be better sticking with rings and a vixen plate. Can the clam shell be fitted to a vixen plate as I know they are designed primarily for Tak mounts. Sorry for the questions.

It's the same size - you only need the 60 clamshell. You unscrew the 60 objective and screw in the 76.

So, the FS60-CB is £749 with clamshell and finder; the 76DC objective unit £949, that's a total of £1698.

The FC-76DCU is £1285.00 and the clamshell/finder is £355, a total of £1640...

What?

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

I was looking at this as well. Is there a clam shell for the 76, or would I be better sticking with rings and a vixen plate. Can the clam shell be fitted to a vixen plate as I know they are designed primarily for Tak mounts. Sorry for the questions.

I use a Vixen-type dovetail bar / plate bolted to the clam shell of my FC100. The clam shell on mine accepts M8 bolts so a couple of those and the Vixen dovetail bar is pretty securely held.

taktrex02.JPG.c5eb8d4c7aea061eb59f03f1d0259a72.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, John said:

I use a Vixen-type dovetail bar / plate bolted to the clam shell of my FC100. The clam shell on mine accepts M8 bolts so a couple of those and the Vixen dovetail bar is pretty securely held.

taktrex02.JPG.c5eb8d4c7aea061eb59f03f1d0259a72.JPG

That’s ideal. Thank you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

I don't want to add temptation, but if you have a FS-60CB you can purchase a FC-76DC Objective Unit to fit to it. You then have two scopes, a 60 and a 76 :biggrin:

I have an FS60-CB, and you have just added temptation 😉. With a 76mm objective and the Q extender, there are four scope options.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

It's the same size - you only need the 60 clamshell. You unscrew the 60 objective and screw in the 76.

So, the FS60-CB is £749 with clamshell and finder; the 76DC objective unit £949, that's a total of £1698.

What?

The FLO site says the FS60-CB is £749 for the ota only, finder and clamshell are extra, glad I got mine second hand 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JeremyS said:

No no no, that won’t do. You need an FOA 60Q 😊

8 hours ago, IB20 said:

Tis very nice 😁

IMG_4676.jpeg

7 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

What?

You lot are absolutely terrible 🤣  

keep strong @bosun21  keep strong!

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, bosun21 said:

It's actually the FC-76DCU and the 1.6 extender I have my eye on 🔭👀.

Horrible things, don’t know what could possibly tempt you about them 😉

I do like the look of it despite the join lines, performance is fab too. Whilst I love the clamp for my FS-128, I use the MoreBlue rings and dovetail as I think they are lighter and more compact. Some think this is sacrilegious but I prefer it. Of course, you could also be tempted by a Feathertouch for them but they are unobtainium now unfortunately.

IMG_5731.thumb.jpeg.7bada41c335baa94c84940148efbbc47.jpeg

This somewhat ludicrous setup shows the comparison between an FC-100DC, FC-76DCU and FS60Q. Having such a flexible system is really convenient, and I bought all mine secondhand (except the FC-100DC) so not quite so expensive. I swap the module between scopes, it has the most impact on the 60 but also improves the 76 I feel, sharpening up edge performance.

IMG_4737.thumb.jpeg.e65ccb5aa2444d01531a8d41e0359a24.jpeg

I must say though, the FC-100DC is almost as convenient for travel, just requiring the removal of dew shield and focuser to be airline portable, and it is about as light as it gets for a full 4” scope.

One note of caution. If wanting the most convenient grab and go/travel scope, I would possibly go for something like a TS 72mm. These have fpl-53 glass and at f5.9 are quite a lot shorter than the f7.5 FC-76DCU, with more aperture than an FS-60C

Here’s the whole family for comparison.

IMG_8247.thumb.jpeg.350469b87d7d833b4c06424bfe19c577.jpeg

EDIT This is my airline portable kit which includes the 60 and 76, plus CoolWedge, BBHS mirror diagonal, various eyepieces, StarSense etc etc

IMG_0986.thumb.jpeg.addaf6dcb4cf1ce328a6dbefb412eb9d.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Roy Challen said:

The FLO site says the FS60-CB is £749 for the ota only, finder and clamshell are extra, glad I got mine second hand 

Perhaps this "The package version features the FS-60CB OTA plus Takahashi Clamshell and 6x30 Finderscope with Bracket" is confusing as there is only one choice available. Maybe @FLO could clarify.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

I'm a short drive from RVO. That's where I got my old blue tube 10" Newt from. Nothing wrong with them but these days I'd rather but from FLO.

The one thing i will say about FLO is that you can instantly see if something is in stock . With Rother Valley you constantly need to send enquiries which takes up their time to answer.... sometimes it takes a fair time for them to answer . Also i had a good "chat" with Chris at FLO the other day regarding a scope and i was really appreciative of his helpfulness . I can get that with Widescreen too though as i know Simon ansd Elena very well . 

Edited by Stu1smartcookie
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr Spock said:

Does anyone know if the FS60 extender offers any advantage over a x2.5 Powermate?

I’m sure it does, because the Tak extender is matched to the FS-60C, it also corrects (flattens the field) and generally tightens the edge performance up.

Roger’s reviews may be helpful as the first link includes spot diagrams showing the inprovement:

http://scopeviews.co.uk/TakFS-60Q.htm

http://scopeviews.co.uk/TakFC-76Q.htm

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

IF , i am to buy one it will be the 60mm , with the extender ... i really begrudge paying for the cradle , but ces-la-vie . 

Already making up excuses as to "why" i need it .. 

1 Research 

2 Easy to Store 

3 AstroBiscuits description of the "best small scope " 

Not sure if any of those will wash ... but at least its small enough to hide 😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

IF , i am to buy one it will be the 60mm , with the extender ... i really begrudge paying for the cradle , but ces-la-vie . 

Already making up excuses as to "why" i need it .. 

1 Research 

2 Easy to Store 

3 AstroBiscuits description of the "best small scope " 

Not sure if any of those will wash ... but at least its small enough to hide 😃

You need it because it's small and cute and needs your protection.

• Haha 1