Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

11 hours ago, Stu said:

Horrible things, don’t know what could possibly tempt you about them 😉

Here’s the whole family for comparison.

IMG_8247.thumb.jpeg.350469b87d7d833b4c06424bfe19c577.jpeg

Wow, I hadn't fully comprehended how much bigger than the FC-100DC that FS128 really is 😮

I thought the Mewlon was big compared to my FC-76DCU and FS-60CB... but that thing is enormous 😍

IMG_0365.jpeg

• Like 8

On 22/08/2023 at 17:32, JeremyS said:

What I am trying to convey is that there appears to be a shortage of FC 100DZ, due to a production delay in Japan. I see prospective US purchasers are drawing a blank lately. So if you are interested in one, then contact a UK dealer to check on current status and the delivery time. 

The delay was announced last September: https://www-takahashijapan-com.translate.goog/ct-news/topics/22ix22_info.html?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

Anecdotally its due to the glass for one of the lens components being unavailable.

According to FLO's website, they now have 2 FC 100DZ's in stock, so I assume Takahashi must have now overcome the problem of shortage of the relevant glass.

Unfortunately RFVO's (and also Wide Screen Centre) website does not state whether they have them in stock, but I am assuming  there must be a reasonable  supply of stock available at present. 

John 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, johnturley said:

According to FLO's website, they now have 2 FC 100DZ's in stock, so I assume Takahashi must have now overcome the problem of shortage of the relevant glass.

Unfortunately RFVO's (and also Wide Screen Centre) website does not state whether they have them in stock, but I am assuming  there must be a reasonable  supply of stock available at present. 

John 

Good news.

I wouldn’t be surprised if that are snapped up by our friends across the Atlantic 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, johnturley said:

John 

They seem to have a good stock of a fair number of the Takahashi range again... good to see after the last few years of supply issues 👍

• Like 1

On 22/08/2023 at 19:48, mikeDnight said:

The FC100DC was an awesome scope but I eventually succumbed to reviews about the DZ by Daniel M on CN. It was an emotional wrench for me to part with my DC and wait for a DZ, which arrived on a slow boat from Japan. During the month without an FC I had to resort to using one of those reflector thingies, a 10" F6. Finally my DZ arrived and it was simply gorgeous. I know I'm an oddball for preferring these small scopes over larger ones, but even for those with larger aperture reflectors, I doubt anyone would be disappointed by having a DC, DF, DL, or DZ in their optical arsenal.

Mike

Did you notice a significant improvement in the planetary performance of the 100DZ over the 100DC, I'm inclined tp prefer the DZ, but I might consider the cheaper DF if there was negligible difference in the performance compared with the DZ. I assume the DF would be similar to the DC,  and I did want a model with the larger focuser as I have several 2in eyepieces. Since the DF is f7.4 rather than the f8 of the DZ, I assume the tube will be about 6cm shorter, would this make the difference regarding aircraft carry on baggage. On the other hand I might not end up taking the scope on holiday anyway, in which case the DF would have not have any advantage over the DZ for me apart from saving about £600.

John 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HollyHound said:

They seem to have a good stock of a fair number of the Takahashi range again... good to see after the last few years of supply issues 👍

Indeed. Quite a few to choose from. No TPL eyepieces yet, though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johnturley said:

Since the DF is f7.4 rather than the f8 of the DZ, I assume the tube will be about 6cm shorter, would this make the difference regarding aircraft carry on baggage. On the other hand I might not end up taking the scope on holiday anyway, in which case the DF would have not have any advantage over the DZ for me apart from saving about £600.

Not 100% certain, as I no longer have my DC (which is very similar to the DF, apart from focuser), but the DZ might actually be significantly shorter, due to having a sliding dew shield... Of course the dew shield on the DC/DF can be unscrewed I believe 🤔

I found no perceptible difference in my usage between DC and DZ, however my observing skills are nowhere near that of @mikeDnight and likely needs exceptional seeing to notice much anyway 😬

Where the DZ is better is in ergonomics... that sliding dew shield and much better focuser 👍

• Like 2

22 hours ago, johnturley said:

Mike

Did you notice a significant improvement in the planetary performance of the 100DZ over the 100DC, I'm inclined tp prefer the DZ, but I might consider the cheaper DF if there was negligible difference in the performance compared with the DZ. I assume the DF would be similar to the DC,  and I did want a model with the larger focuser as I have several 2in eyepieces. Since the DF is f7.4 rather than the f8 of the DZ, I assume the tube will be about 6cm shorter, would this make the difference regarding aircraft carry on baggage. On the other hand I might not end up taking the scope on holiday anyway, in which case the DF would have not have any advantage over the DZ for me apart from saving about £600.

John 

In a word John, No!

I find the DZ a touch cooler in tone, but as for planetary performance I'd say there's little if any real difference. I felt the DC gave a warmth and vibrancy to the belts of Jupiter that I really enjoyed. I saw great things through my DC both lunar, planetary, and deep sky. The only drawback with the DC was its weaker focuser, so I'd suggest the DF as the stronger option. As far as being apochromatic, I can only say that I was very happy with the DC even though the DZ is much better corrected according to the graphs I've seen. I think youd see more CA produced by a wide angle eyepiece than either the DC/DF or DZ objective will show. Both scope will give you piercing star images at 500X on a steady night, so I doubt you can go wrong whichever you choose.

I've never taken my scopes on a plane and couldn't say what's the best way to go. I will say however that the DZ retractable dewshield only retracts by 80mm as the cell is hidden within it. Personally I think it's more of a marketing gimmick than something of real advantage, and I much prefer a fixed shield. The dewshields on the DC and DF unscrew easily as do the focusers, so they can be considered aircraft friendly. I think Stu has used them this way. Hope this helps!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I will start by saying that I do not currently have aperture fever. I also started this hobby this year (though I researched scopes for about a year before buying) and have limited experience, so my opinion may change over time.

That said, having used both my scopes for several observing sessions now, I am glad I ignored the advice of many to buy a dobsonian as my first scope, and bought the FOA-60Q instead. The FOA-60Q is a pleasure to use. So much so that I find myself using it over the AT102EDL the majority of the time. It is not that the AT102EDL is a bad scope; it is not. It is a great scope. The added aperture of the 102 mm produces a larger more detailed image. The build quality is good. The carry handle makes it easy to mount and unmount. The focuser is excellent (better than the focuser on my FOA-60Q). Yet when I am observing, I am drawn to the FOA-60Q. The image is smaller, but still full of detail. Does the Takahashi produce a better image? Not to my eye in my current seeing conditions. However, if I had to choose, I would take the Takahashi over the AT102EDL.

Note: Some of the draw might due to the Takahashi Turret. It is such a pleasure to switch eyepieces by simply rotating the turret. I originally had it on the AT102EDL, but it feels like it belongs on the FOA-60Q.

Honestly, the only reason I have not sold the AT102EDL is that I want a scope I can take camping that is more easily replaced should something happen in the wilderness. That and it really is a great scope for the money.

mini-mount.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 24/08/2023 at 19:02, johnturley said:

Mike

John 

Info here John at Roger’s ever helpful site.

http://www.scopeviews.co.uk/TakFC-100DZ.htm

Implication is that you still need to remove the focuser in the DZ to make it properly airline portable at 540mm with the dew shield retracted. With my DC I remove the focuser and the dew shield so it’s a bit more of a phaff. I do like the lighter weight of the DC though, and use a Feathertouch focuser so that’s not a factor.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, PatientObserver said:

I will start by saying that I do not currently have aperture fever. I also started this hobby this year (though I researched scopes for about a year before buying) and have limited experience, so my opinion may change over time.

That said, having used both my scopes for several observing sessions now, I am glad I ignored the advice of many to buy a dobsonian as my first scope, and bought the FOA-60Q instead. The FOA-60Q is a pleasure to use. So much so that I find myself using it over the AT102EDL the majority of the time. It is not that the AT102EDL is a bad scope; it is not. It is a great scope. The added aperture of the 102 mm produces a larger more detailed image. The build quality is good. The carry handle makes it easy to mount and unmount. The focuser is excellent (better than the focuser on my FOA-60Q). Yet when I am observing, I am drawn to the FOA-60Q. The image is smaller, but still full of detail. Does the Takahashi produce a better image? Not to my eye in my current seeing conditions. However, if I had to choose, I would take the Takahashi over the AT102EDL.

Note: Some of the draw might due to the Takahashi Turret. It is such a pleasure to switch eyepieces by simply rotating the turret. I originally had it on the AT102EDL, but it feels like it belongs on the FOA-60Q.

Honestly, the only reason I have not sold the AT102EDL is that I want a scope I can take camping that is more easily replaced should something happen in the wilderness. That and it really is a great scope for the money.

mini-mount.jpg

Thank you for your input here ... its a really useful insight . This is the "sort of" experience i was hoping to read about when posting the thread . 

I'm out with the FS60CB right now. I've just been splitting doubles at x162 including ε Lyr. Lovely optics 👍

DSC_09592048.thumb.jpg.73cd0b1302d2f9817c1dbbe3a0aa61e3.jpg

I've found if I screw the lens element from my 2" Barlow into the front of the Baader diagonal and add a 35mm extension tube in front so it will reach focus, it gives x2.28 with the LVWs. My 5mm LVW therefore gives x162 and that's what I've been using on doubles.

• Like 6

On 02/09/2023 at 22:58, Mr Spock said:

I'm out with the FS60CB right now. I've just been splitting doubles at x162 including ε Lyr. Lovely optics 👍

DSC_09592048.thumb.jpg.73cd0b1302d2f9817c1dbbe3a0aa61e3.jpg

I've found if I screw the lens element from my 2" Barlow into the front of the Baader diagonal and add a 35mm extension tube in front so it will reach focus, it gives x2.28 with the LVWs. My 5mm LVW therefore gives x162 and that's what I've been using on doubles.

Looks a great setup, and so glad you’re getting so much use with it… it’s a great scope 😀

• Like 2