Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Almost ready to quit...

Mr Spock

For the 2022-2023 season i had the pleasure of using my kit for deep sky on 28 nights (most on weekdays), and i think that's a great number. Would be content with half of that, or even less maybe. The last session was on the 23rd of april, and the next one will be no sooner than 2-3 weeks..

For northern humid climate dwellers this is the worst hobby imaginable, but since we (astrophotographers) are a little bit deranged it is no big problem. I actually think that in some twisted way the rarity of clear skies adds to the hobby because every time that happens its a long awaited gift from the heavens. Doesn't get old really and so far never had to think twice about going out if the clouds part.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, ONIKKINEN said:

For the 2022-2023 season i had the pleasure of using my kit for deep sky on 28 nights (most on weekdays), and i think that's a great number. Would be content with half of that, or even less maybe. The last session was on the 23rd of april, and the next one will be no sooner than 2-3 weeks..

For northern humid climate dwellers this is the worst hobby imaginable, but since we (astrophotographers) are a little bit deranged it is no big problem. I actually think that in some twisted way the rarity of clear skies adds to the hobby because every time that happens its a long awaited gift from the heavens. Doesn't get old really and so far never had to think twice about going out if the clouds part.

I was on holiday in Ireland (Dublin and the south coast) a few weeks ago, great country and great people but it was unrelenting clouds from start to finish!

• Sad 1

When I lived in New Jersey the summers seemed almost a waste of time for any kind of decent skies but the winter skies could be great. Well, great if you were willing to stay outside viewing in minus 10-12c.

Part of the reason I went to imaging as I could set the whole thing up in advance and then control it from the kitchen. The wife told me I was cheating 🤪

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, moggi1964 said:

When I lived in New Jersey the summers seemed almost a waste of time for any kind of decent skies but the winter skies could be great. Well, great if you were willing to stay outside viewing in minus 10-12c.

Part of the reason I went to imaging as I could set the whole thing up in advance and then control it from the kitchen. The wife told me I was cheating 🤪

I control my observatory from the study.  When I say to my wife that I am going to do some astronomy, her reply is usually "but are you really?"😂

I am really enjoying mono imaging, but the lack of clear nights does make achieving a finished image a very long process indeed and it can be frustrating to have a number of almost finished images waiting for the clouds to clear.  I do not ever think about quitting, but the lack of clear nights does at times have me contemplating going back to OSC imaging.

• Haha 2

On 06/08/2023 at 21:11, nitram100 said:

Finished a 12 hr shift, setup the scope and left it for an hour to cool down in the garden with perfect blue skies. You would think it would be safe with the forecast?

No chance, this is England. It just started raining ahahah, had to pack the scope up quick.

I'm done with this hobby, in the UK at least.

Screenshot 2023-08-06 at 21-10-23 Watford - BBC Weather.png

Hmm, I'm in Watford too. It was definitely clear 2am onwards, I had a very nice planetary session with my Mak and Tak😀

• Like 1

I haven't spent any money on astro for three years now and took the decision to just enjoy what I have.  For sure there is stuff that I would like - and can afford. I'd love a pair of APM 150 bins for example and there was a pair of them on ABS for ages.   But it is impossible to justify it to myself, let alone my fiancee, considering the pitifully small number of clear nights we get in the UK.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, kirkster501 said:

I haven't spent any money on astro for three years now and took the decision to just enjoy what I have.  For sure there is stuff that I would like - and can afford. I'd love a pair of APM 150 bins for example and there was a pair of them on ABS for ages.   But it is impossible to justify it to myself, let alone my fiancee, considering the pitifully small number of clear nights we get in the UK.

I admire your pragmatic approach and self control. A lot of folks on here including myself  respond to a lack of clear nights by researching and then purchasing even more kit that will then join the list of underused items.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, tomato said:

I admire your pragmatic approach and self control. A lot of folks on here including myself  respond to a lack of clear nights by researching and then purchasing even more kit that will then join the list of underused items.

That's why FLO generate the clouds.  They're no fools.

• Haha 11

I’ve also lost my Astro mojo a bit of late but I know I will come back to it again. Fundamentally,  I just love it despite the UK weather doing everything it can to stop me/us. Never forget the stars aren’t going anywhere, after all. However, other interests and priorities have taken centre stage in my life whilst we are under the UK permacloud this summer. Autumn has also been diabolical in recent years too.

• Like 1

I’ve just done a proper check on my imaging logs and YTD I’m two sessions behind where I was in 2022. I am quite forgiving when I image though, a full moon or absence of astro darkness doesn’t stop me.

The sky right now, here on the Fylde Coast, is deep blue and cloudless. The forecast is good, the heinous lump of cheese is nearly out of the way and the sky just about gets dark now!

It's the night I've been waiting for for months!

Oh, hold on....

My shift rota :( 

image.png.f97c57b585de278802d15ee50a29d0cf.png

• Sad 2

On 10/08/2023 at 22:32, kirkster501 said:

I’ve also lost my Astro mojo a bit of late but I know I will come back to it again. Fundamentally,  I just love it despite the UK weather doing everything it can to stop me/us. Never forget the stars aren’t going anywhere, after all. However, other interests and priorities have taken centre stage in my life whilst we are under the UK permacloud this summer. Autumn has also been diabolical in recent years too.

When I was a child, I had a small Tasco refractor.  In the manual that came with it there was a 'Conclusion' section.  In that section there were some rather poetic words to the effect that over your lifetime your interest in astronomy may at times flicker like a candle, but it will never go out.   I have never forgotten that.   Over forty years later, and through long periods where I did not look up at the night sky, I am still pointing a refractor at the stars.

• Like 8

On 11/08/2023 at 13:44, tomato said:

I’ve just done a proper check on my imaging logs and YTD I’m two sessions behind where I was in 2022. I am quite forgiving when I image though, a full moon or absence of astro darkness doesn’t stop me.

Actually i might take a page out of your book tonight. Still 2 weeks from astro darkness here but it looks like a clear night. Might be able to squeeze 2 or 3 hours while the sun is at a (hopefully) tolerable -12 to -14 degrees below the horizon. Probably still better than bortle 8 from which some people happily image anyway so might as well try.

Now that i wrote this comment i am sure the clouds will appear in the next 3 hours 😬.

• Haha 3

You can almost guarantee that if you did quit the hobby and sold all your gear, within a fairly short space of time there would be a period of the best seeing and clearest skies on record, a naked eye comet, the 1st supernova within our galaxy since 1604, the development of a 2nd jovian red spot, the return of the Saturnian white spot, and a new planet discovered that is visible in amateur scopes.

Amateur astronomy is fickle like that ....... 🙄

• Like 2
  • Haha 12

You can almost guarantee that if you did quit the hobby and sold all your gear, within a fairly short space of time there would be a period of the best seeing and clearest skies on record, a naked eye comet, the 1st supernova within our galaxy since 1604, the development of a 2nd jovian red spot, the return of the Saturnian white spot, and a new planet discovered that is visible in amateur scopes.

Take some comfort from the fact that you would be assured of our undying gratitude!

Edited by rl
  • Haha 4

36 minutes ago, John said:

So please quit so the rest of us can enjoy all of that!!! 😉

• Haha 5

50 minutes ago, John said:

And Takahashi shares would plummet 

• Haha 1

Bad weather is very frustrating for all of us but it's the imaging guys/gals I feel for the most. Lack of observing opportunities is frustrating for visual observers as well but at least we can have a small, grab and go set up ready for action if a break in the cloud blows through or even just a pair of binoculars by the back door. Visual observers can still get some kind of fix in these frustrating times but the imaging crew need time under good, clear skies and at times like these, rather than throw in the towel, I would suggest getting a quick fix from a portable, visual only set up. Better weather and darker skies will return at some point in the future.

• Like 4

I very recently let go of my imaging gear, largely down to other life commitments getting in the way including work and pleasure (mainly work) which won't ease off for the foreseeable. 

If I'm honest the weather definitely aided the decision. Having not had an opportunity to use the kit for the best part of the year, i came to the conclusion that it was a rather expensive ornament just sitting there. Albeit it was a lovely looking ornament :)

I was very close to throwing-in the towel on the whole lot but decided to keep my 8" CC, mount and eyepieces for planetary and lunar visual.

Who knows though.....I may be back for imaging in the future! 

Regards,

Jonny

Edited by Jonny_H

I won't sell any of my kit because when I reach retirement in a few months I won't have the income to replace such things should I change my mind.

I might get rid of the FS-60. It's been sitting in a corner for the last 8 months unused. I'd have been better off with a pair of 15x50 bins...

• Sad 1

I was just adding up how much I had spent on astro gear so far this year, getting very little use from it to date,  when I realised that I spend more annually on the other hobby that is getting even less use.

We have a rather nice Mini in the garage and living with us until recently we also had two very elderly, now sadly, just one very elderly dog. Whilst she goes out in the normal car, the mini is not for her and we will not leave her on her own so the mini sits there and has done no more than drive back and forward with a rare trip to the mot shop for the last few years. I know that we will be able to use the both the mini and the astro gear in the future so I will keep all for now.

The parallels between the two hobbies are amazing, but when things change and one has to go, it will be the mini first. 

• Like 2

When I add up all my scopes, eyepieces and accessories, it come to less than half of what my hi-fi cost - not counting all the music I have.

Same with AV. OLED tv, surround decoder, 500+ 4k/Blu-rays, 30+ box sets. Dwarfs my astro gear.