Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter 7th July

Very nice images. I really like the IR one with its subtle details. The colour ones look good as well but a tad oversharpened (?). Seeing must have been good this morning with no jet stream but I did not manage to get up. How did Saturn fare if you captured any?

1 hour ago, Kon said:

Very nice images. I really like the IR one with its subtle details. The colour ones look good as well but a tad oversharpened (?). Seeing must have been good this morning with no jet stream but I did not manage to get up. How did Saturn fare if you captured any?

It was the going in and out of focus type. Though not as bad as I've seen, still far from great. Haven't got great seeing on Saturn yet. Color is also more difficult. And i prefer straight color captures no added IR s which makes it more difficult. Here's a Saturn in color its improving but still no where near what I've caught before. Bad data makes me push things. trust me its preferable to blur My 462MM just arrived. So that's going to be fun when Jupiter's 50 degrees I may try some RGBs need to get a green and blue. will try a red 610 

03_15_57_12 stella.png 90.png m.png 2.png

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

It was the going in and out of focus type. Though not as bad as I've seen, still far from great. Haven't got great seeing on Saturn yet. Color is also more difficult. And i prefer straight color captures no added IR s which makes it more difficult. Here's a Saturn in color its improving but still no where near what I've caught before. Bad data makes me push things. trust me its preferable to blur My 462MM just arrived. So that's going to be fun when Jupiter's 50 degrees I may try some RGBs need to get a green and blue. will try a red 610 

Saturn is looking pretty good despite the conditions; Cassini division is quite sharp for a colour capture ( assume with an ADC as well?).  I am with you on avoiding blending data to make things look better than they are.

I am looking forward what you can do with the 462mm.

Just now, Kon said:

Saturn is looking pretty good despite the conditions; Cassini division is quite sharp for a colour capture ( assume with an ADC as well?).  I am with you on avoiding blending data to make things look better than they are.

I am looking forward what you can do with the 462mm.

Trust me, if i could just get good seeing and have Saturn sharp without constantly going out of focus. The result would destroy what i am getting at the moment. Had a few glimpses of that on the 16th, but again, just glimpses  Some of it might not be seeing. Larger optics often don't stabilize. They fluctuate. It may be that what's causing me grief hard to be sure. At least with Jupiter its going to be so high, i know i will get something good at some point. These are 30 degrees in daylight. So its going to get a lot better. The better the data, the less processing you need  Saturn is very hit and miss. I also don't get long before it hits a roof. But i am stubborn. it often pays off being like that.  I live in hope. Cameras now running. was just playing with it. No hassle loading it. 

• Like 1

Just now, maw lod qan said:

Excellent images, both Jupiter and Saturn. 

The way the rings are becoming near flat is amazing. 

Cheers

really because of the out focus problem i needed more frames.  Some of the reason results not as good as i would like. But its early days

1 hour ago, Pete Presland said:

Some nice details visible, it is going to be much more fun at 50 degrees though. 🙂 

Hi Pete agreed it will also be bigger and brighter with better contrast in darkness. Lets not forget this only the second early attempt

Edited by neil phillips

Really nice images Neil. Especially the mono Jupiter. Cracking detail. 

Seeing our way this morning was pretty darn good. I had Saturn up at 300x and a nice clean view of Cassini. Jupiter will be epic in a month or so.

Just now, russ said:

Really nice images Neil. Especially the mono Jupiter. Cracking detail. 

Seeing our way this morning was pretty darn good. I had Saturn up at 300x and a nice clean view of Cassini. Jupiter will be epic in a month or so.

Hi Russ i don't doubt it. No jet stream has its effect. Unfortunately for me using quite large optics. For some reason. ( its a trait) It wouldn't settle, i suspect its the large optics struggling to  reach equilibrium.  I don't really want to be doing major surgery. But could likely benefit from a fan firing across the surface of the mirror, To disrupt the boundary layer. Great as large Newtonians are they don't come without their own set of issues. I will likely run the fan a lot more between captures. Even try some with it running. But contrary to what i read on other forums. Often i find that's worse. I will also keep using my 245 mm Orion. which is a little less troublesome. 

Edited by neil phillips

Just now, Ibbo! said:

Very nice.

I tried a couple of weeks ago and they were not very good, but were good practice.

That's how i see it too good practice. The only capture that's really come out any better was the IR. Its also good practice processing gas planets something i am rusty with. I am currently using two programs. But will revert to the less noisy one here and their i think as Kon is right too much noise is creeping in, despite the detail i am pulling out this early. I may try some re processes. But really i just need far better data

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ibbo! said:

I did say hello to jupiter this morning as I let Tara out at 3 am and was tempted but my bed was calling me.

Plenty of time Ibbo. I need the exercise lol. So that's a  inspiration too. But Jupiter is back and steadily getting higher how long have we waited for this 

This is now in my hands and i am thrilled 

qhy462.png.8f7a150fdabde01870a4511420f8425a.png

DSC01308.JPG

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ibbo! said:

Welcome to the club.

These are the poor attempts with my 462

2023-06-26-0241_1_lapl6_ap176.png.38b7ec71ad6dbed01d48bc43a2237fa0.png

2023-06-26-0235_3_lapl6_ap38.png.0f0209e5a27ed2d89fa8749572fd608e.png

Yeah can tell you had poor seeing. It will improve when you get Jupiter higher. For now its a mono camera as i need to get green and blue Baader filters. But the camera is so good its worth dabbling in RGB Again at some point