Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I think I am in love...

5 minutes ago, Stu said:

Looks very nice. Which glass type is used that’s equivalent to FPL-53? 

The FLO description says that is is the equivalent of ohara S-FPL-53 but does not specify which glass is used for the ED element. Hoya FCD100 is one that would fit the bill I think.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John said:

It is a very interesting scope at a very interesting price.

Not sure that carbon fibre has any advantages for the visual observer though ?

Unless it has been treated to behave like Kruppax 50 that is !

The issue with carbon is that the thermal expansion with not compensate in the same way as aluminium does for the change in the lens cell expansion.

Carbon is very well matched for mirrored scopes.

The cost of a phenolic tube for a 105 mm / f 6.25 scope is around £550 including VAT as of spring 2022, hence really only used with premium optics....

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John said:

The spec looks similar to the Technosky 125mm that the late (and much missed) @johninderby had:

Tecnosky 125/975 F7.8 FPL-53 Doublet APO - First Look - Discussions - Scopes / Whole setups - Stargazers Lounge

That was my thoughts, Tecnosky have good optics, especially the 115 mm triplet.

Tecnosky give a minimum Strehl measurement on their scopes will Flo as well if from the same factory?

• Like 1

Joking aside, I do wish someone would offer a larger aperture shortened tube refractor which needs an extension tube (or two) to reach focus so it is airline portable. Televue did it with the Bizarro though given that was a Tv85 hardly needed.

My APM LZOS 105 f/6.2 does the job but the heavy triplet lens means a larger mount tripod combo is needed which has meant a smaller scope on some trips.

47C9D30F-036F-42B6-9DB5-B4AB6BE1DE8A.jpeg.7b902d6dae9ea536c177e9d0e500f7d1.jpeg

The draw tube slides inside which really shortens the length to less than 20” for travel.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DirkSteele said:

Joking aside, I do wish someone would offer a larger aperture shortened tube refractor which needs an extension tube (or two) to reach focus so it is airline portable. Televue did it with the Bizarro though given that was a Tv85 hardly needed.

My APM LZOS 105 f/6.2 does the job but the heavy triplet lens means a larger mount tripod combo is needed which has meant a smaller scope on some trips.

The draw tube slides inside which really shortens the length to less than 20” for travel.

I agree Matthew. Nice lightweight well figured doublet. I managed to take an FC-100DC abroad a few times but didn’t like having to take off the focuser and dew shield each time.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, DirkSteele said:

I do wish someone would offer a larger aperture shortened tube refractor which needs an extension tube (or two) to reach focus so it is airline portable

Borg?

• Like 1

The Vixen ED102SS gets down to around 22 inches in length with the dew shield slipped off. With the stuff in the photo the weight is around 4kg. I don't know what airline limits are these days :icon_scratch:

vixenportable.JPG.23fabe123408cf81db03889d2dac7207.JPG

(apologies to @Ags - this is off topic)

• Like 2

I'm interested to see what this scope weighs, what the glass actually is, and understand with the carbon ota and glued objectives (if that is the case) if it will stand up to solar observing.

I've been looking at 5" doublets for a long time and the thing putting me off is weight. Anything light enough to work well on an EQ5 would be a potential prospect for me.

12 hours ago, DirkSteele said:

The other answer is a lightweight mount. @GavStar has a HAZ31 and super mount tripod, looking at a total weight for mount and tripod of around 6 kg and it takes an AP130GTX easily.

This would work for the 105 and 130 mm LZOS scopes I have and in the case of the 105 mm the scope and the mount would fit in a carry on photo bag.

The other advantage is no need to balance the scope with the HAZ31, I could then use the 105 or 130 with BV's, something I'm going to have to wait for the Y saddle mount for the AZ100 I have to arrive.

Note: Currently awaiting a review about how the HAZ31 performs with he replacement ADM saddle for it, the iOptron saddle is not meant to provide a firm grip to trust a scope with.

Edited by Deadlake
  • Like 1

On 01/07/2023 at 19:03, dweller25 said:

@FLO

Any chance you will be stocking the aluminium version ?

Probably not.

Aluminium costs less than carbon fibre, so a version with an aluminium OTA would have a retail price of around 10% lower. But we think the benefits of carbon fibre (lower weight and minimal expansion/contraction) are well worth the small increase in price. Carbon fibre has worked well for our smaller StellaMira 90ED. I am sure the benefits will be even more welcome on this larger telescope. 

HTH, 

Steve 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Stu said:

Which glass type is used that’s equivalent to FPL-53? 

We don't know. Manufacturers tend not to reveal ED glass type. In this instance, the manufacturer is United Optics. They say, "The ED glass is equal to FPL-53". So that is what we say on our product page. 

As you know, the glass used for the ED lens is only one part of a large equation. It alone does not determine the quality of an image or the telescope's APO performance. Other factors include the mating lens, the optical figuring of the objective surfaces, lens design, the lens cell and the telescope's f-ratio. The brand and supplier's reputation must also be considered when looking for performance indicators.

StellaMira is our brand. We are the supplier. No other version of this telescope has better optics 🙂 

HTH, 

Steve 

• Like 3

On 01/07/2023 at 14:37, dweller25 said:

... there are reports that the glue can break and the parts they were holding come loose and/or fall off.

I doubt that. We launched the telescope only yesterday 😀

I haven't heard of any carbon fibre telescope becoming 'unglued'. I mean, they make F1 racing cars with carbon fibre. If it were a problem, I am sure we'd have heard about it. 

HTH, 

Steve 

1 hour ago, FLO said:

I doubt that. We launched the telescope only yesterday 😀

I haven't heard of any carbon fibre telescope becoming 'unglued'. I mean, they make F1 racing cars with carbon fibre. If it were a problem, I am sure we'd have heard about it. 

HTH, 

Steve 

I was talking generally about Carbon Fibre tubes Steve not specifically the StellaMira range.

However, the information about possible bonding failures is on Stellarvues website who say they control the issue with  their own in house bonding techniques as indeed the F1 boys do.

https://www.stellarvue.com/aluminum-vs-carbon-fiber/

6 minutes ago, dweller25 said:

I was talking generally about Carbon Fibre tubes Steve not specifically the StellaMira range.

However, the information about possible bonding failures is on Stellarvues website who say they control the issue with  their own in house bonding techniques as indeed the F1 boys do.

Over our seventeen-year history, we have yet to experience a single telescope, from any manufacturer, with a bonding failure. The people at StellarVue can say whatever they like, but as far as we are concerned, it is a non-issue. 

HTH, 

Steve 

8 minutes ago, FLO said:

Over our seventeen-year history, we have yet to experience a single telescope, from any manufacturer, with a bonding failure. The people at StellarVue can say whatever they like, but as far as we are concerned, it is a non-issue. 

HTH, 

Steve 

That’s good to know Steve and exactly the real world information I asked about in my original post 👍

If it’s 6kg this looks like a very nice telescope for a highly competitive price. Optical reports have been very good from what I’ve seen. FCD100 according to those sources. Also nice to see another visual scope from the FLO stable, although I’m sure it’s a nice imaging instrument too.

• Like 1