NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

People selling 3D printed Masks

Skyline

I would like to bring your attention to people selling 3D Printed Masks on a well known Auction site.

Some of these sellers are taken off 3D designs of other websites then printing them and selling.

Some of these designs are mine, which I have uploaded to thingiverse. 

I am wondering to take them off.

Your opinions would be helpful.

Thanks.

What license did you specify when uploading to Thingiverse? If you said 'non-commercial' then you can pass this information on to the Auction site and they should hopefully take action.

18 minutes ago, adyj1 said:

What license did you specify when uploading to Thingiverse? If you said 'non-commercial' then you can pass this information on to the Auction site and they should hopefully take action.

Non Commercial and have reported one of the sellers.

Just out of interest,

If there is an item that is specified as non-commercial in license agreement, and someone prints that for someone else and charges for - material and time expenses - is that violation of license agreement?

It's not being printed for profit - but rather as a service that is payed for - customer specifies what is to be printed.

No, but selling on a Auction site it is. That is classified as Commerce.

Especially when your name/username is clearly printed on the products and the only site they were uploaded to was a website which your able to select the licence agreements.

4 minutes ago, Skyline said:

No, but selling on a Auction site it is. That is classified as Commerce.

Especially when your name/username is clearly printed on the products and the only site they were uploaded to was a website which your able to select the licence agreements.

I just asked, because I printed some stuff for our local astronomy forum members and I really did not pay attention to the license agreement.

At first - I did not charge anything for that, but since they insisted on paying at least something - I made quick calculation of material and time cost and that's what I charged on several occasions.

Now that I think of it - most payed stuff was actually drawn by me in FreeCad because there were some issues with original parts :D

You make something and you contribute to the community freely, not that someone makes a buck from it.

There are some astronomy IoT products in the market, the idea/products are freely available before an alternative came along, but there are others which are quite happy to take the idea and make it proprietary only to their products only to be sold under a different name, with no thanks to the open source community which helped to establish the original product.

I can understand if you designed them yourself and wanted a small charge to cover the material and postage charge, not say they are made by Farpoint Astronomy!

I use this licence attributes for my 3d printed astronomy.

Licence.jpg

Edited by Skyline
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

That will lead to some sharp statements being said ... :D

Let's not have this derailed - got to keep focus (apologies)

I'd suggest including an embedded copyright message in any 3d designs you submit in future (says someone who has no idea how these things work - but kind of think the last few layers could leave an indented message)

Edited by Gfamily

2 minutes ago, Gfamily said:

I'd suggest including an embedded copyright message in any 3d designs you submit in future (says someone who has no idea how these things work - but kind of think the last few layers could leave an indented message)

That is interesting idea, and I've seen some people do it.

I'm not sure I'd do that for my work though, for two reasons:

1. I think it is fairly easy to remove in dedicated software (not that I know how to do it at the moment - but I've seen software that can do it)

2. With my work, I intend to publish "source" - or original work, so that people can modify it to suit their printers.

In order for some things to work properly - certain tolerances / clearances must be met. Not every 3d printer is tuned the same, and sometimes people might need to tweak some hole size or part size to fit properly. I'd rather have them do it easily then think about copyrighting the work.

Publishing under certain license is just about right amount of work that one should do. If someone is set to steal / reverse engineer or exploit - there is not much we can do about it (maybe press charges and so on - but that would make sense only if large damages result from such actions).

36 minutes ago, Gfamily said:

All my designs have my name indented on them.

Edited by Skyline

It's a sad state of affairs where people try to profiteer off other peoples work but this has probably been going on since the invention of the wheel, or fire, or a club.

Unless if a product is truly unique and has a granted worldwide patent you're not really protected, especially if it has been uploaded onto the internet. Even patented products eventually get copied and sold.