NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The Burning Blue Dragon in Cepheus - Supernova remnant CTA 1 with NGC 40

gorann

CTA 1 is a rarely imaged supernova remnant (aka SNR G119.5+10.2) in Cepheus, consisting of a 1.5 degree filamentary shell, so quite large.  However, it is extremely faint and my first attempt to image it a year ago during a moonlit night using NBZ dual-band filter was not very successful., although the result was interesting enough to merit a second attempt when the moon was gone. The second attempt on the 27th Dec 2021 was more promising but then I could only use the subs from one of the RASAs in my double rig, since the stars were poor due to tilt in the other. However, now when I have StarXTerminator in my toolbox I could use all the 124 subs and get much deeper.

And out came this blue dragon! (at least that is what it looks like to me😁)

The bright red/yellow object near the center is NGC 40, a small planetary nebula. However, they are not interacting but only happen to be on the same line of sight. The distance to CTA 1 is estimated about 4600 lightyears and its age is about 10’000 years. NGC 40 is about 3500 light years away from us and 4,500 years old.
CTA 1 occur in the first list of radio sources published by the CalTech Observatory in 1960, hence the annotation CTA.

So, dual RASA8 rig with ASI2600MC and IDAS NBZ dual-band filter (Ha+Oiii). 124 x 5 min, so 10+ hours. Processed in PI and PS using StarXT and NoiseXT.

EDIT: I added a second version where I used a curve in PS to lift the red signal for more Ha to come through - it made me rename it: The Burning Blue Dragon (but who am I to name nebulae🥴).

Cheers, Göran

20211226 NGC40 RASA1+2 PS9smallSign.jpg

20211226 NGC40 RASA1+2 PS10smallSign.jpg

Screenshot 2022-12-11 at 16.19.00.png

Edited by gorann
  • Like 45

11 minutes ago, Adreneline said:

Very nice Göran. Love the colours and depth you've managed to achieve - very sympathetic processing. Adrian

Thanks a lot Adrian!

I just added a second version with more Ha signal.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, symmetal said:

Great image Göran. The 'dragon's eye' star is very conveniently placed. Planetary NGC40 also looks pretty insignificant in comparison. 🙂

Alan

Thanks Alan, and yes I agree - well placed eye!

Thanks a lot Steve! I used the stars from the "good" RASA8. And when adding them in PS using a curve to suppress them small imperfections become smaller. Like anything caught with a RASA, it is not full proof for pixel peeping, but good enough I think.

46 minutes ago, jjosefsen said:

Woah! Really beautiful Goran, brilliant and never seen it before. Impressive!

Thanks a lot! Yes, very few images of this faint object and I have not seen any showing the fainter dust around.

Edited by gorann

1 minute ago, George Sinanis said:

Very nice - well done! Just added this one in my list of must-do targets.

I will give a try with the RedCat51 + 2600MC + Antlia Gold Filter to see what i can get. Probably 10+ hours will definitely be needed.

Thanks a lot George!

It is faint so you need a dark site (I am at Bortle 2-3) and a lot of integration time, so the best of luck and build up your stamina!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, gorann said:

Thanks a lot George!

It is faint so you need a dark site (I am at Bortle 2-3) and a lot of integration time, so the best of luck and build up your stamina!

I am at a bortle 5-6 so, probably 15+ hours then. But, love the challenge of the "Blue Dragon" (you had the honours to name it).

Thanks for sharing the coordinates as well. 🙂

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, George Sinanis said:

I am at a bortle 5-6 so, probably 15+ hours then. But, love the challenge of the "Blue Dragon" (you had the honours to name it).

Thanks for sharing the coordinates as well. 🙂

You should have no problem fitting into your FOV.

RA center: 00h10m26s.80

DEC center: +72°5543.2

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, carastro said:

Lovely image Gorann.  Oh to have your dark skies.

Carole 

3 minutes ago, Lee_P said:

Another cracking image!

Thanks a lot Carole and Lee, much appreciated. Yes, I love my dark sky, when the weather allows me to see it.....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, old_eyes said:

What a fabulous object Gorann. A touch of a Klingon Warbird perhaps? I am really tempted to have a go with this using our mono reduced FSQ 106 in Spain. A slower rig but a mono sensor.

Thanks, and you should go for it, it is an overlooked but remarkable object!

• gorann changed the title to The Burning Blue Dragon in Cepheus - Supernova remnant CTA 1 with NGC 40

Göran - just a quick processing question.

Which channels from RGB did you use as O3? I know a lot of people throw away the B and only use the G for O3, remapping that to get the colour they want. Interested in whether you had 3 out of 4 pixels in the Bayer matrix for O3 or only 2. As you had to boost the Ha to get the effect you liked, I wondered how much O3 you started with.

1 hour ago, Stuf1978 said:

I've never seen this one before, absolutely stunning. Great work as always :)

Thanks a lot! Yes, it is almost never imaged, probably because it is very faint and few knows about it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, old_eyes said:

Göran - just a quick processing question.

Which channels from RGB did you use as O3? I know a lot of people throw away the B and only use the G for O3, remapping that to get the colour they want. Interested in whether you had 3 out of 4 pixels in the Bayer matrix for O3 or only 2. As you had to boost the Ha to get the effect you liked, I wondered how much O3 you started with.

The data I get with my OSC through the NBZ filter I process more or less as any RGB colour image so I do not separate the channels. When I boosted the Ha in the final version I just lifted the mid part of the curve for the red channel in PS. So, I have not thrown away any green or blue data🙂

Edited by gorann
  • Thanks 1