Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Burning Blue Dragon in Cepheus - Supernova remnant CTA 1 with NGC 40

gorann

25 minutes ago, old_eyes said:

Göran,

Do you happen to know your camera angle? I couldn't platesolve your final processed image. It would help me check framing, although I think I am OK no matter what the orientation, but good to check. 

Thanks

You can see it and other info on my Astrobin post (https://www.astrobin.com/ithlw4/B/), but here is a screen dump of the angle:

Screenshot 2022-12-13 at 13.39.58.png

• Thanks 1

I’m super excited as I am planning to start imaging tomorrow this target - really thank you for sharing.

if lucky I will get 10-11 hrs tomorrow, 2-3 hrs on Friday and probably 3-4 hours on Saturday.

I will be using the Stellamira ED90 triplet + fattened/ reducer 0.80x giving me an FL of 435 along with the 2600MC.

I will try it with the new Dualband Antlia “gold” filter and I will be aiming for 600sec subs. Shall I push for longer than 600 sec subs?

9 hours ago, George Sinanis said:

I’m super excited as I am planning to start imaging tomorrow this target - really thank you for sharing.

if lucky I will get 10-11 hrs tomorrow, 2-3 hrs on Friday and probably 3-4 hours on Saturday.

I will be using the Stellamira ED90 triplet + fattened/ reducer 0.80x giving me an FL of 435 along with the 2600MC.

I will try it with the new Dualband Antlia “gold” filter and I will be aiming for 600sec subs. Shall I push for longer than 600 sec subs?

With that camera I think there is nothing to be gained with longer exposures than 600s. I usually go for 300s with the NBZ filter and I have a Borltle 2-3 sky. If you have light pollution then many short exposures are better than fewer long ones.

Good luck!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, scotty38 said:

Nice image and added to my list so will try tonight if the forecast holds out....

Thanks Scotty! I think you are the third one on this thread that now plans to aim at it! The best of luck!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, gorann said:

Thanks Scotty! I think you are the third one on this thread that now plans to aim at it! The best of luck!

My sequence is ready to go 🙂

If it stays clear all night I should get a good run at it...

473401024_Screenshot2022-12-14144447.png.5a8b1c0a71d6550543f9f4be8a8249e3.png

Edited by scotty38
  • Like 1

I'll also have to try this with the NBZ and ASI 2600MC and RASA 11. I'm still waiting for my fast NB filters to arrive so I can let the 6200 loose on it. 😀 I've managed to get the flats sorted out now pretty much, with the Aurora panel, ND filters and longish exposures.

Alan

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fay said:

Really love it Goran. I think I like the second, redder one best but would be well happy with either

Fay

2 hours ago, glafnazur said:

I thought the first image was great but the second image blew me away, stunning 👍

Thanks a lot guys!

I am very excited to see what comes out of all the telescopes apparently being aimed at the Burning Blue Dragon over the next nights - it is not often you manage to start a trend😆

4 hours ago, symmetal said:

I'll also have to try this with the NBZ and ASI 2600MC and RASA 11. I'm still waiting for my fast NB filters to arrive so I can let the 6200 loose on it. 😀 I've managed to get the flats sorted out now pretty much, with the Aurora panel, ND filters and longish exposures.

Alan

While waiting - just do a two panel mosaic!

7 hours ago, symmetal said:

I'm going to be waiting quite a while now due to my  RASA 11 Disaster 😭

Alan

Oh that is really a disaster - I just looked at your disaster post Alan. Something to have nightmares about. Can it be fixed in the UK or does it have to be sent to China?

4 hours ago, scotty38 said:

I captured 150 5 minute SHO frames last night and when combined and a basic stretch it shows virtually nothing....... 🤣

Might have to up my game here.....

Image09.thumb.jpg.b466d1784a241fc9769c93a5cc2aa41a.jpg

Well, it is definitively there, but the light grasp of a RASA8 is 6 times that of your GT81, so you will need more time.

EDIT: Did you try starless processing? If not, that may get you closer.

Edited by gorann

4 hours ago, gorann said:

Well, it is definitively there, but the light grasp of a RASA8 is 6 times that of your GT81, so you will need more time.

EDIT: Did you try starless processing? If not, that may get you closer.

Yes agreed on the RASA and I'm imaging as we speak so hopefully will have double the amount tomorrow.

No, no starless imaging just a channel combination and stretch. I figured I would need more data so just wanted a quick look at what I had. Will try starless etc tomorrow, thanks.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, scotty38 said:

I captured 150 5 minute SHO frames last night and when combined and a basic stretch it shows virtually nothing....... 🤣

Might have to up my game here.....

Image09.thumb.jpg.b466d1784a241fc9769c93a5cc2aa41a.jpg

I managed ove rthe past 2 days to collect 20 hrs (240 x 300secs) of data with the Stellamira ED90 Triplet + Reducer x0.8 + 2600MC. Looking at this. i might need even more subs.....

10 minutes ago, George Sinanis said:

I managed ove rthe past 2 days to collect 20 hrs (240 x 300secs) of data with the Stellamira ED90 Triplet + Reducer x0.8 + 2600MC. Looking at this. i might need even more subs.....

You may have better processing skills than me though... I'm just processing the extra 150 frames from last night so will be interesting to see how much difference it makes

4 hours ago, George Sinanis said:

Hi @gorann - i am working on this project right now and my NGC40 seems over-exposed and i cannot find a way to over come this (if there is any). Any thoughts since you also shot 300sec subs with the same camera.

image.png.c87f47420baa6670910f28dc9a8339fd.png

Well, mine was not over exposed in the raw files, but we have different equipment, and you could always take an extra set of shorter exposures (does not take much time) - that is what I have previously done when I have aimed super-dynamic things like M31 or M42.