Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dropped my C8

aramitsharma

So, I have two dovetails on my scope. One, the factory one and the other from ADM which is not a vixen and is meant to hold Adm accessories. I now use it just for lifting the scope. 

Took out the scope after 6 months and surprise, I fixed it on the mount using the adm dovetail. And on the third slew, it came off and dropped. I tried to catch it, but couldn't and it fell on the grass. The mirrors however are intact and collimation still as it was before. Maybe just a whiff of good luck.

• Like 6

I had a similar experience with my 8SE.  I hadn't secured it properly in the Celestron mount, and it dropped out.  Luckily, it was near a garden table, so didn't fall far, then - with lightning reactions - I thrust an arm out and stopped it crashing to the ground.

All good.  Still well collimated.  Very, very lucky!

Doug.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, cloudsweeper said:

I had a similar experience with my 8SE.  I hadn't secured it properly in the Celestron mount,

Here's a tip for C8 SE owners: do NOT remove the scope from the SE mount head.  The OTA and the mount head seem intended to be kept as a unit, which will avoid nasty things as in the posts above happening.   The OTA, being fat and not having any handle, needs three hands to securely fit or remove it from the clamp on the mount arm.  (unless you fit a second bar to it.)

It is possible to keep the whole outfit including tripod as a unit and carry it through a domestic doorway and outdoors.

Edited by Cosmic Geoff
  • Like 3

I use Vixen/Synta dovetails myself. I’ve never been entirely happy with them, but not had the misfortune to have a disaster.  It’s not difficult to fit a stop bolt protruding from the dovetail immediately above where it clamps onto the mount.  Whilst not a complete solution it does add a bit of extra security to stop the dovetail sliding out.

I’ve seen 12” Newtonians just held by a basic dovetail, it works but is a big ask.

• Like 3

Re-reading the post I realise that the OP has both a Vixen dovetail for attaching the scope to the mount, and an ADM rail (which is a completely different fitting and much narrower as it’s designed for mini-ADM accessory clamps) - in fact exactly the same setup as me.  My clamp on the mount is also ADM and won’t close far enough to hold the ADM dovetail, so I’ve never had the problem, but I guess with the ‘bolt’ style clamps it may be possible to do it by accident? 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, RobertI said:

Re-reading the post I realise that the OP has both a Vixen dovetail for attaching the scope to the mount, and an ADM rail (which is a completely different fitting and much narrower as it’s designed for mini-ADM accessory clamps) - in fact exactly the same setup as me.  My clamp on the mount is also ADM and won’t close far enough to hold the ADM dovetail, so I’ve never had the problem, but I guess with the ‘bolt’ style clamps it may be possible to do it by accident? 

Very much a reminder to look at whats been done, dont take it on trust and then while holding the scope gently wiggle to ensure its fitted.

The stop bolt on Vixen or other rails is a very good point from @NGC 1502 and does add a layer of security.
My misfortune was a slide out and most likely have been averted with a stop bolt, a lesson,
but an expensive one for me as well as highly distressing.

I am most glad that the OP was lucky and was just served a lesson.

Edited by Alan White
  • Like 3