Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Grab and Go Confliction

Sunshine

2 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Having a small scope like you and @Stu have pictured set up and ready to go at a moment’s notice can really help to keep the astro interest going in poor weather periods where there are only a few gaps.

Maybe I need a garden room, like Stu - tho I noticed he’s modestly referring to it as such, rather than an orangery 😊

🤣🤣🤣

At the moment it’s more like an enclosed rain forest! The roof is leaking like crazy in a couple of places. At least it means the toads and mice have plenty to drink! 💧💧🤪🤪

• Haha 6

45 minutes ago, Cjg said:

I am however, really fortunate to own a rather nice 92mm scope that is special

Sounds interesting, what is that?

I always fancied one of the Baader 95mm triplets for travel but they are 💰💰💰and hard to get hold of.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

I have my ScopeTech Zero and Gitzo GT5542LS tripod permanently in our garden room, normally with either FC76Q or FC100DC on it. Either case is a single handed lift out into the garden, even with a CoolWedge and Binoviewers fitted to the 4” so it can be set up in about 30 seconds.

Strangely the FS60C gets less use!

That’s one of the reasons I love the FC100DC so much. Fantastic performance in a really lightweight package.

Good to hear the FC-100DC works well on the ScopeTech 👍

My DZ is just that extra bit heavier and makes it less than ideal... however, that's where the AZ75 (or AZ100) come in, and I'm more than happy with the FC-76DCU as a grab and go... so much so, I've even removed the saddle and dovetail now and it's mounted permanently to the ScopeTech directly with the Tak clamshell, to save a bit more weight 😁

Edited by HollyHound
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Stu said:

Sounds interesting, what is that?

I always fancied one of the Baader 95mm triplets for travel but they are 💰💰💰and hard to get hold of.

You need to read the whole of Cjg's post Stu..an AP Stowaway 😊😁..

..still 💰💰💰 though!!

Dave

Edited by F15Rules
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, HollyHound said:

Good to hear the FC-100DC works well on the ScopeTech 👍

My DZ is just that extra bit heavier and makes it less than ideal... however, that's where the AZ75 (or AZ100) come in, and I'm more than happy with the FC-76DCU as a grab and go... so much so, I've even removed the saddle and dovetail now and it's mounted permanently to the ScopeTech directly with the Tak clamshell, to save a bit more weight 😁

Yes, actually that’s one reason I never switched to the DZ, DF or DL, the DC is just that much lighter and more portable.

I like to think my FL102S is basically equivalent of a DL, albeit much more bulky, and probably heavier. That one is likely too much for a Zero, but the AZ75 handles it very well of course.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Its takes three minutes to makes two trips to set up my 4". I had an WO 80FD ready to go in the past but typical after ten minutes viewing I wanted the bigger scope. If the extra min and a half matters Im better of with binoculars and save the three minutes.

I appreciate not everyone has their scope in a garage back room four meters from where they observe so I'm lucky.

I would still like a small light weight grab and go scope and often look on enviously but there's a difference between want and need. It just wouldn't get used.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RobertI said:

…..plus a teeny tiny observing chair.  🙂

You're very close. Sometimes I bring it out the front door and use the door step as a seat. That way I don't even have to extend the tripod legs! Bit cold on the cheeks though :)

Malcolm 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 07/11/2022 at 11:37, JeremyS said:

Having a small scope [...] set up and ready to go at a moment’s notice can really help to keep the astro interest going in poor weather periods where there are only a few gaps.

Very true IMO.  I'm much more willing to pop outside even when the sky looks quite marginal b/c set-up time is essentially zero.  And the worst case scenario is I get some fresh air.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, jjohnson3803 said:

Very true IMO.  I'm much more willing to pop outside even when the sky looks quite marginal b/c set-up time is essentially zero.  And the worst case scenario is I get some fresh air.

Fresh air still exists? 😝

• Haha 2

On 07/11/2022 at 17:47, Stu said:

🤣🤣🤣

At the moment it’s more like an enclosed rain forest! The roof is leaking like crazy in a couple of places. At least it means the toads and mice have plenty to drink! 💧💧🤪🤪

Maybe adding something like this at Stu Towers for telescope acclimatisation and storage? 
Saw at Powis Castle today.

0A4F5B05-7BBC-4DF3-94A7-5915E6AD91D4.thumb.jpeg.7c843d87123e9bbaf1b33003805abf1f.jpeg

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Maybe adding something like this at Stu Towers for telescope acclimatisation and storage? 
Saw at Powis Castle today.

0A4F5B05-7BBC-4DF3-94A7-5915E6AD91D4.thumb.jpeg.7c843d87123e9bbaf1b33003805abf1f.jpeg

Those are strange bushes/trees? up there above the terrace, they look like green blobs.

• Like 1