Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Head Torch Recommendations?

Hi everyone,

I’m getting back into imaging and my old head torch no longer works.

Can anyone recommend a good torch please? Ideally:

- Light weight

- Can turn on the Red light without having to cycle through white light settings.

- Rechargeable or inserted batteries is fine.

Thanks,

Andy

I am big fun of Petzl products (having many years of running and outdoor background).

Personally I use the Atick Core, but possible is a bit over kill for your needs (450 lumesn - use it for trail running as well). They have less bright versions and the Core rechargeable battery is fantastic. The big plus off it, if you ran out of juice or forgot to charge it, just pop out the Core unit and insert 3 AAA batteries. 

You can start it up with red light straight and stays on it (I mean switch it on/off/on and remains on red light setting without the need of touching normal light mode). 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Andyb90 said:

Hi everyone,

- Light weight

- Can turn on the Red light without having to cycle through white light settings.

Thanks,

Andy

Good post, I'll be mulling over the responses - I've thought of buying a head torch for some time but not seen anything that appears to fit the bill.

16 hours ago, Andyb90 said:

Hi everyone,

- Light weight

Thanks,

Andy

This is the one I've used for the past two years which also meets your needs. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B08L555T39?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

It's lightweight, I don't feel it on my head at all. 

Has red and white lights, each controlled with a separate button. The red light button cycles between low power, high power, pulse then off. 

Has built in rechargeable battery which is charged using USB-C, or can be powered via 3xAA batteries. 

The beam angle can be controlled by tilting it forward to preset positions. 

It claims to be waterproof, but I've not tested that claim :)

6 hours ago, paulastro said:

Who's Trevor Jones?

He has a YouTube channel and website called AstroBackyard.

His channel has charted his journey through astrophotography from beginner to more advanced imaging. Just my opinion, but I think he's a very likeable chap and I enjoy his content.

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions. I also found a Nitecore headlamp (NU25) to add to the list of options.

One issue I had with my old headlamp is that it must have knocked against the inside of my bag and turned itself on. I only realised when I went to grab it for a session and the batteries were virtually dead. So I'll probably go with a headlamp that has a locking function.

I can't recommend a particular brand as I've modified white torches by placing red lighting gel in them. Some have needed 2 layers to get it dark enough.

A big problem with commercial red lights is the brightness/intensity and wavelength of the red. A dark tone red is much better and as low a power/brightness as is needed to see the bits on your scope.

Unfortunately, some people come to observing sessions thinking they are being responsible with a red light, when in fact they are dazzling everyone and affecting night vision.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Andyb90 said:

He has a YouTube channel and website called AstroBackyard.

His channel has charted his journey through astrophotography from beginner to more advanced imaging. Just my opinion, but I think he's a very likeable chap and I enjoy his content.

Many thanks for that, looks good, can you confirm that you can dim the red light?  If so, I'll  order one. Many thanks.

Edited by paulastro

My Coast HL4 arrived this morning and it is a nice bit of kit. The top strap might save my head a bit when going in and out of the observatory doorway!

The two separate switches (one for red and one for white) means I don.t have to cycle through the various illumination sequences to select or turn the torch off

• Like 1

If you can get them, Energizer do a few 2-button head torches that I've been very pleased with.  Right button for Red, and Left button for White. With white light use, there's a variety of settings, and holding the buttons alters the spread of light slightly from flood to focused beam. 

There's at least one place on ebay that's selling the AAA powered one for about £15, they also have a USB version for about £23. 

I previously bought from 7dayshop when they were around the £10 mark for the AAA version. 

My first red light head-torch was a Petzl one, which I've had for about 10 years - the main problem is that the rubber covering for the switch has started going rotten - so it's unpleasant and harder to use.   

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Torch-Headlamp-Headlamps-Adjustable-Resistant-Batteries/dp/B019MK6DX6

Cheap and cheerful. Independent red and white light switches. Lightweight and plenty bright for astronomy. Mine's two years old, has been camping with me half a dozen times since purchase and is used for back garden astronomy every session.

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
  • Like 1

Most lights are way too bright for astronomy as they adversely affect night vision.  So I insist on ones that can be dimmed right down.

I'd very much recommend one of the inexpensive Black Diamond range of headtorches that can be set very dim.  Moreover, they can be set to always come on with the dimmest red light whichever button you push - so no accidents!

The red beam is wide and even, as is one of the two white beams, the other white one being a spotlight.

You do need to avoid the higher priced ones that have a battery check on starting up though. This is because they light up an intense blue that'll ruin your dark adaption. Additionally, those with the Powertap feature can be knocked on accidentally. BTW, the so-called Astro models aren't suitable for astronomy as they don't have a red light!

I'd suggest the discontinued Cosmo 250 that's sold at a reduced price from £17.60 on at https://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Diamond-Cosmo-250-Headlamp/dp/B07S2ZJ6CG

Edited by Second Time Around

I've found that the level of seeing you need will vary by the task.  I bought a rechargeable NEBO headtorch from B&Q which can go straight to red and then green.  The green is incredibly dim but I find it much better for seeing if I'm setting up early in the night.  The red is very dim and for general observing it is okay, however if I'm sketching it is way too bright because of the close proximity of the paper.  It sometimes feels like its got a life of its own and sometimes will decide the next push of the button will enable the white light which is akin to staring into the Death Star Laser.  I've got a cheap ASDA head torch that I accidently made perfect for sketching by putting too many layers of dark green gels over the red LED's.  Way to dim for most things, but pretty much perfect for sketching.

Edited by Ratlet

I looked through the different options and went with the Nitecore NU25

https://www.nitecore.co.uk/Products/nitecore-nu25.html

It has separate buttons for Red and White light. The Red light has a low setting and the buttons can be locked.

The torch is charged via USB and feels lightweight on my head. It can also be tilted which is useful.

i also found it hard to get a red light that i liked. so decided on a trip into hobby shop.  i got a small bottle of red glass paint. now i have all the red torches i need. All you need to do is apply as many layers as you want. it also dries very quickly so you can keep coating if required every couple of minutes. hope this helps.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Torch-Headlamp-Headlamps-Adjustable-Resistant-Batteries/dp/B019MK6DX6

Cheap and cheerful. Independent red and white light switches. Lightweight and plenty bright for astronomy. Mine's two years old, has been camping with me half a dozen times since purchase and is used for back garden astronomy every session.

Without realising you had already suggested this, I had two of them delivered today for £18.99 ( or one will cost you £15.99). As you say, they work well, and the red light isn't too bright when pointing downwards.  Also the adjustable strap is big enough to fit my size 62 head with a woolly hat on!  A great buy, even better if you buy two.  From what you say, they should also last me a good while 😊

557263330_Screenshot_20221101-185154_AmazonShopping.jpg.dfa9465a347809d3ea08838c808db5e3.jpg

1052898560_Screenshot_20221101-185707_AmazonShopping.thumb.jpg.e288ddc4b912d7cf55b00dbd10238d17.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, paulastro said:

Without realising you had already suggested this, I had two of them delivered today for £18.99 ( or one will cost you £15.99). As you say, they work well, and the red light isn't too bright when pointing downwards.  Also the adjustable strap is big enough to fit my size 62 head with a woolly hat on!  A great buy, even better if you buy two.  From what you say, they should also last me a good while 😊

557263330_Screenshot_20221101-185154_AmazonShopping.jpg.dfa9465a347809d3ea08838c808db5e3.jpg

1052898560_Screenshot_20221101-185707_AmazonShopping.thumb.jpg.e288ddc4b912d7cf55b00dbd10238d17.jpg

Very nice Paul. They're not a well known brand or particularly swanky looking, but they are really comfy for those of us with huge craniums and work really well. Some of the red light torches people use at camps are ridiculously bright and unnecessary.  Also this brand is dirt cheap so no biggie if they get lost...

• Like 1