SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Mars 28th Oct

neil phillips

Pretty good seeing this morning. though heavy mist was killing transparency. had to play yo yo with levels to keep it even. but got a few to look at. 

Orion optics UK  245mm Newtonian. QHY 462C Baader UV IR Cut. Celestron 2x Ultima barlow ZWO ADC SW EQ5 PRO 

Capture size

reg.png

The old beast will have new legs in the future. 

DSC00651.JPG

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 26

35 minutes ago, Kon said:

Stunning Mars! Loads of details coming through. It's been pouring down this morning.

Same to you Kon. Still messing with the image. wasn't happy. This looks much finer detail 

Again see what you think. But this definitely shows much finer detail

1 hour ago, neil phillips said:

Same to you Kon. Still messing with the image. wasn't happy. This looks much finer detail 

Again see what you think. But this definitely shows much finer detail

I absolutely agree. Again stunning!  I can clearly see light and dark colouration  in Elysium.

2 hours ago, Kon said:

I absolutely agree. Again stunning!  I can clearly see light and dark colouration  in Elysium.

Doing similar to what you said. No layers. Just smoothing ect and light and dark levels.  Sometimes when transparency is iffy. it often goes hand in hand with good seeing. And that was the case this morning. Its nice to get some good seeing on a planet for a change. 

Thanks for your opinion.

Edited by neil phillips

2 hours ago, Space Cowboy said:

That's a beauty! 

Being so small this year. it's not as obvious when the seeing is good. But it's easy to tell after a while. Everything just starts to look sharper. And you start getting shadings appearing in the Martian sand. Quite happy for a change on a capture. Don't blink I actually said it. 

Cheers Stuart. Btw its good to have you around here again. Like the old days. But different 

Your Mars images keep getting better as opposition draws closer, excited to see just how good it can get when already there is so much to see!

Your setup looks really funny with the giant tube on the modest mount. Kind of amazed the EQ5 handles the beast.

6 minutes ago, ONIKKINEN said:

Your Mars images keep getting better as opposition draws closer, excited to see just how good it can get when already there is so much to see!

Your setup looks really funny with the giant tube on the modest mount. Kind of amazed the EQ5 handles the beast.

Thanks for the positive comments

And yes, I agree especially at that angle with the tube so high and sideways it looks scary doesn't it. I have a small Bresser weight. And two SW weights balancing it. a small weight sits on the eyepiece tray. I dont think its going anywhere. But a touch of wind and mars will be going somewhere like straight off screen lol. I hope to get a EQ6 R PRO in the coming weeks. But that little mount has done me proud. 

2 hours ago, neil phillips said:

Being so small this year. it's not as obvious when the seeing is good. But it's easy to tell after a while. Everything just starts to look sharper. And you start getting shadings appearing in the Martian sand. Quite happy for a change on a capture. Don't blink I actually said it. 

Cheers Stuart. Btw its good to have you around here again. Like the old days. But different 

Remarkable detail showing and I'm only viewing it on my phone. Interesting to see you're using an ADC even at this altitude. Need to get mine out of the drawer. You clearly have the optics of that trusty newt tuned to within a gnats whisker!

It's good to be back seeing the master at work 😉

7 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

Remarkable detail showing and I'm only viewing it on my phone. Interesting to see you're using an ADC even at this altitude. Need to get mine out of the drawer. You clearly have the optics of that trusty newt tuned to within a gnats whisker!

It's good to be back seeing the master at work 😉

As you know I've been buzzing around the scope recently 🤣  Thanks again Don't tell the Daleks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, neil phillips said:

Doing similar to what you said. No layers. Just smoothing ect and light and dark levels.  Sometimes when transparency is iffy. it often goes hand in hand with good seeing. And that was the case this morning. Its nice to get some good seeing on a planet for a change. 

Thanks for your opinion.

In my limited experience, when the data are good, a small wavelet sharpening is sufficient to bring out the details without messing around with noise reduction etc. I think this processing looks your best I have seen from this year IMHO especially for the edge rind. Super!

17 minutes ago, Kon said:

In my limited experience, when the data are good, a small wavelet sharpening is sufficient to bring out the details without messing around with noise reduction etc. I think this processing looks your best I have seen from this year IMHO especially for the edge rind. Super!

Cheers again Kon limited experience or not. Your eyes are good, as i have discovered in the last few months. So, thanks again for your opinion. Onwards and upwards, just ordered a EQ6R PRO mount From FLO. With a 20KG Payload. My Orion Newt weighs around 11 to 12 kgs So the new mount should do better than my EQ5.

Next year. I hope to get a 12" F5 Newtonian on it. 

Jupiter is going to be high. I am not getting any younger. If i am going to do it to the best of my ability. Then next year is it. So planning for that. Meanwhile my other scopes will benefit from the new mount before then

Btw registax designer is working on a new wavelets program. And is considering ideas to sharpen Mars while limiting edge rind. Right up our street sure you agree 

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 2