Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mars 28th Oct

neil phillips

1 hour ago, neil phillips said:

Btw registax designer is working on a new wavelets program. And is considering ideas to sharpen Mars while limiting edge rind. Right up our street sure you agree 

That will be great to see. I didn't know the Registax designer was even still actively developing, as I hadn't seen any version changes in many years.....🤷‍♂️

1 minute ago, geoflewis said:

That will be great to see. I didn't know the Registax designer was even still actively developing, as I hadn't seen any version changes in many years.....🤷‍♂️

Yes, your right it's been 11 years. But should be interesting. I will pm

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, CraigT82 said:

Ah I’m sure it’ll be fine to repeat what’s said on CN or even post links to it… just include an advisory warning that CN is a wilderness and should be navigated with care! 😂

Ok too much to repeat here. Wasn't sure how the forum feels about links to other Astro forums. But you reassured me 

So heres a link.

more than 10yrs after RegiStax 6.1 was released - Major & Minor Planetary Imaging - Cloudy Nights

Edited by neil phillips
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, neil phillips said:

Cheers again Kon limited experience or not. Your eyes are good, as i have discovered in the last few months. So, thanks again for your opinion. Onwards and upwards, just ordered a EQ6R PRO mount From FLO. With a 20KG Payload. My Orion Newt weighs around 11 to 12 kgs So the new mount should do better than my EQ5.

Next year. I hope to get a 12" F5 Newtonian on it. 

Jupiter is going to be high. I am not getting any younger. If i am going to do it to the best of my ability. Then next year is it. So planning for that. Meanwhile my other scopes will benefit from the new mount before then

Btw registax designer is working on a new wavelets program. And is considering ideas to sharpen Mars while limiting edge rind. Right up our street sure you agree 

Congrats on getting hold of the mount! It will deliver miracles on your hands. I am also in the hunt for the platform, looking into different options. 

Thanks for the heads up on registax . A mask would be a good way to overcome the rind as we know roughly where it pops. But as it is also getting bigger it should be less prominent. Excited to see what they will do.

1 hour ago, Kon said:

Congrats on getting hold of the mount! It will deliver miracles on your hands. I am also in the hunt for the platform, looking into different options. 

Thanks for the heads up on registax . A mask would be a good way to overcome the rind as we know roughly where it pops. But as it is also getting bigger it should be less prominent. Excited to see what they will do.

The EQ5 Does remarkably well. Yes it will help during wind. But the biggest benefit i think, is being able to put a larger scope up. I shouldn't want for stability in the future now.

Don't know why you don't go the EQ5 route. Probably sell mine for a good price at some point. There great mounts, the tripod legs alone help performance. Very solid

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

The EQ5 Does remarkably well. Yes it will help during wind. But the biggest benefit i think, is being able to put a larger scope up. I shouldn't want for stability in the future now.

Don't know why you don't go the EQ5 route. Probably sell mine for a good price at some point. There great mounts, the tripod legs alone help performance. Very solid

I completely understand that you want to get the best out of me on planetary imaging, but I really love the simplicity of the Dob; the reason I didn't go for an EQ mount. I have it set in my sitting room and it's the case of lifting it out as a single piece and start observing soon after  cooling,  (I do love my nebulas).  I want to go much larger for visual and trying to work out the logistics of setting up and moving it around.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kon said:

I completely understand that you want to get the best out of me on planetary imaging, but I really love the simplicity of the Dob; the reason I didn't go for an EQ mount. I have it set in my sitting room and it's the case of lifting it out as a single piece and start observing soon after  cooling,  (I do love my nebulas).  I want to go much larger for visual and trying to work out the logistics of setting up and moving it around.

Totally get the ease thing. One reason I got the Classical Cassegrain. After years of owning dobs and EQ mounts. It just comes second nature to me plonking an EQ Down north. And i am good to go.

From afar I suppose they might appear to be a lot more hassle. But in reality, sitting down on a chair with a handset and being able to control a telescope. Starts to become actually far easier to me.

So not sure if you have ever had the experience or not. Or even if you would feel the same ease in a similar way is hard to answer.

But of course, you are the best judged of that. As its your thoughts and feelings. So always take my discussions with a pinch of salt.

I like encouraging people out of there comfort zone. I suppose because when i have done this myself. Often it turned out to be a positive experience. Of course, that doesn't mean it will be so for the next person. But floating ideas through discussion.  It's just discussion. I hope I don't get annoying that's not my intention.

I am the sort of person who would tinker with both ideas. As you know i was thinking of going the large dob route myself Best of both worlds as they say. But again, that opens up many other considerations of cost and space etc. I have a bedroom that's totally taken over with equipment. I mean it's just like an Astro storeroom. Not for everyone on a few levels I know. 

Floating another idea, I bet you would love a Goto dob. Any objects you've struggled to find? struggle no more

Seen these come up second hand once in a blue moon 

Sky-Watcher Skyliner 250P FlexTube GOTO | First Light Optics

A old astro friend on here uses the 10" version. And has produced wonderful images. Seems like a perfect match for your love of dobs. But again cost is something. That also has its considerations. Hence my EQ5 for so long. 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42079393@N05/

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, neil phillips said:

Totally get the ease thing. One reason I got the Classical Cassegrain. After years of owning dobs and EQ mounts. It just comes second nature to me plonking an EQ Down north. And i am good to go.

From afar I suppose they might appear to be a lot more hassle. But in reality, sitting down on a chair with a handset and being able to control a telescope. Starts to become actually far easier to me.

So not sure if you have ever had the experience or not. Or even if you would feel the same ease in a similar way is hard to answer.

But of course, you are the best judged of that. As its your thoughts and feelings. So always take my discussions with a pinch of salt.

I like encouraging people out of there comfort zone. I suppose because when i have done this myself. Often it turned out to be a positive experience. Of course, that doesn't mean it will be so for the next person. But floating ideas through discussion.  It's just discussion. I hope I don't get annoying that's not my intention.

I am the sort of person who would tinker with both ideas. As you know i was thinking of going the large dob route myself Best of both worlds as they say. But again, that opens up many other considerations of cost and space etc. I have a bedroom that's totally taken over with equipment. I mean it's just like an Astro storeroom. Not for everyone on a few levels I know. 

Floating another idea, I bet you would love a Goto dob. Any objects you've struggled to find? struggle no more

Seen these come up second hand once in a blue moon 

Sky-Watcher Skyliner 250P FlexTube GOTO | First Light Optics

A old astro friend on here uses the 10" version. And has produced wonderful images. Seems like a perfect match for your love of dobs. But again cost is something. That also has its considerations. Hence my EQ5 for so long. 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42079393@N05/

Thanks Neil. No you are not getting annoying at all and happy to be given different ideas and suggestions. 

I love hunting nebulas using a star map and the excitement of finding them so the goto is not what I would want; I suppose I could have it on manual mode but I am thinking of a 12" or bigger to see the benefit over my 8".

Like you said, I am still finding my feet on this whole planetary imaging and I am really enjoying it, and I will see what would work the best.

I am only in the hobby for 2 years now so a lot of things to do and research.

Ps : happy to move the chat off your post so I don't hijack it.

Edited by Kon

13 minutes ago, Kon said:

Thanks Neil. No you are not getting annoying at all and happy to be given different ideas and suggestions. 

I love hunting nebulas using a star map and the excitement of finding them so the goto is not what I would want; I suppose I could have it on manual mode but I am thinking of a 12" or bigger to see the benefit over my 8".

Like you said, I am still finding my feet on this whole planetary imaging and I am really enjoying it, and I will see what would work the best.

I am only in the hobby for 2 years now so a lot of things to do and research.

Ps : happy to move the chat off your post so I don't hijack it.

You're not hijacking Kon, it's me that's doing the de tour. To Reply to what you just said. Of course you could still do your hunting. But switch the motors on to view. or capture what your viewing. Including deepsky i might add.  But for the sake of the continuity. Yeah, if i think of anything else we can chat off board. 

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 1