Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Messier 33 - SHO LRGB (100hrs)

Mr_42tr0nomy

Hello Folks!

Messier 33 - 100 hrs (S2HaO3 / LRGB)
In the photos above I have included several different edits and they are as follows.

HOO / Lrgb
HOO / rgb stars
Standard Lrgb
 SHO / Lrgb
SHO / rgb stars

This image has been a work in progress for nearly a month but I am FINALLY FINISHED.. although I'll probably edit these again and again and again until I'm 100% satisfied, lol. The months of September and October were extremely kind to me in regards to clear skies. My main goal here was to invest ample time to bring out the nebulae within another galaxy. In this case.. M33, the Triangulum Galaxy.
The active regions in this galaxy are abundant so what better way to capture them than with 3nm SHO filters? It was definitely an endeavor I was unsure of until I started capturing sii data.. Which there was plenty of.
In addition to the narrowband data, I have never had the chance to capture this using standard broadband filters either. I live in bortle 7 skies so this target was never really on my list considering its low surface brightness. I need the LRGB data to combine with my SHO data to achieve the look I wanted so I thought “What the hell, let's get a full LRGB data set as well. 15hrs were invested into Lum data and 10hrs were invested into the RGB data. More data here would help but dark skies would ultimately be the cure for the issues I ran into with broadband filters.
As far as the narrowband data goes, I collected 25hrs of each to be sure I was capturing enough to bring out the fainter bits of nebulosity in m33. This was actually a good amount and was so much fun to work with.
This is my largest project to date and I really hope you enjoy it!
--------------------------------------
Equipment:
Cem60
10” F/3.9 Newtonian asi533mm
Astrodon SHO/LRGB (3nm)
Total exposure time: 100hrs

HOOLRGB.jpg

HOOrgb.jpg

LRGB.jpg

SHOLRGB.jpg

SHORGB.jpg

• Like 38

14 minutes ago, pipnina said:

Insane!

An outstanding rendition, and not so commonly done either!

That last image in particular is just fantastic!

Thank you very much! I look at them now and it seems like I pushed the data just a tad over the line.. not typically my style but when processing it I really just wanted to bring out as much as I could! The last image is my favorite as well. I did NOT expect that much signal to come from the galaxy at all. A very pleasant surprise! haha

• Like 1

Astonishing set of images and level of dedication to get to 100 hrs on a single target. Congrats! 

My personal favourite is the 1st, but having never seen M33 shot in SHO before i have to admit the last one is doing it's best to woo me! 

On 10/10/2022 at 20:54, Xiga said:

Astonishing set of images and level of dedication to get to 100 hrs on a single target. Congrats! 

My personal favourite is the 1st, but having never seen M33 shot in SHO before i have to admit the last one is doing it's best to woo me! 

Thank you very much! I had to try something difference. II knew that M33 had some incredible Ha regions so why not Oiii and Sii regions as well. Made sense to try! 

7 hours ago, powerlord said:

wow. my favourite is the last one - so amazingly different and so much detail - get that emailed off to APOD pronto!

stu

Hi Stu.. I did get this mailed to APOD but who knows how long it will take them to respond. I've sent multiple photos over without a response so my hopes are not high! 

On 13/10/2022 at 03:37, KevinPSJ said:

Absolutely stunning. You put those 100 hours to fantastic use. The second image (HOO rgb stars) had my jaw on the floor!! And it just got better as I scrolled down! 

Thank you Very much, Kevin! It was a lonnng project but very fun to say the least 🙂