Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Favourite season

Mart29

Hello guys, 

What's your favourite time of year for viewing?

I get my best viewing in winter,  interested in other people's favourite.  A clear summers night vs a clear winter night 🌙  

• Like 1

Not so much a specific season here.  More like a timeframe.  September and October should be good, the temps cool off and the sky stabilizes a bit.  November is iffy as that is usually when the clouds come in and it stays cloudy through December.  January and February are cold months in Ohio but the skies tend to clear, so if it is clear and above 20 degrees i give it a go.  March is back to clouds and april is pot luck.  May thru July is usually decent.  August..... Forget about it... You will melt and the humidity is brutal. 

September and October. Those are the months I manage to get out camping most often. Temperatures don't drop too low for comfort at night and the weather overall is rather mild. Given clear skies, with binoculars alone, I can tick off more deep sky objects in one night compared to the rest of the year back home.

Staying at home, on a crisp and clear mid winter's night I'll be out in the back garden.

• Like 4

This is not clear cut for me, my favourite time is probably being able to check out saggitarius and the milky way in the summer holidays when the conditions are civilised (i.e. warmer), but winter when the other side of the milky way has come around and when the moon is higher is also a  good time.

Edited by Paz
  • Like 1

Winter sky for sure. Earlier start, crisp transparent sky, wrapped up in plush lofted down jacket and hat, frost forming on everything, peering up at Orion and California nebula, afore sipping some more hot coffee, life affirming. 

• Like 2

I'd say early spring, part of summer, and early fall.  Darkness is limited here as we move toward summer with astro twilight starting at something like 0330.  The older I get, the less I like winter.  But I'm an early riser so I'm observing winter constellations now and I don't need heavy clothes to stay warm.

I really like observing summer objects, but the humidity and mosquitos here can be vicious.  That's another reason to observe Scorpius and such in the late spring.  But I do like watching the stars come out on a warm summer night and dark site camping is available early spring through early fall.

• Like 1