Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron SCT servicing

Did you dismantle the corrector ?

If you want to do it yourself you can buy the Hotech laser  https://www.firstlightoptics.com/hotech-collimation-tools/hotech-advanced-ct-laser-collimator.html  bit expensive now at £450 which you may wish to compare vs price of professional service, postage and insurance

You need a steady surface and mount plus about 3m of dark space (and a second tripod for the laser)

The only thing I have moved is the Faststar as I had to take it out when changing to Bob's knobs. My issue is finding a professional service provider, I'm happy to pay if it gets the OTA back to as new alignment and collimation.

I can’t really help with sourcing the service provider to do this work.

However, I  would be interested to know if this work is needed due to damage, modification or old age as I have the CPC version and I wouldn’t expect to have it realigned and reset optically by the manufacturer, just my own basic collimating as per the operations manual.

thanks for any info on this.

3 hours ago, Rob Astro said:

The only thing I have moved is the Faststar as I had to take it out when changing to Bob's knobs. My issue is finding a professional service provider, I'm happy to pay if it gets the OTA back to as new alignment and collimation.

Orion Optics offer the sort of servicing you are asking about, but you may want to read elsewhere on here about their customer service before sending anything off to them.

https://www.orionoptics.co.uk/servicing/

I suspect that in changing to the Bob's Knobs you have completely de-collimated the SCT.  If all it needs now is collimation, this is a task that most users should be able to do themselves after reading up on how to do it.  The only equipment you need is a clear night and a sightline to Polaris.  You should find this considerably less tiresome than packing the scope up, paying a wad of money and waiting weeks.

I managed to collimate both my SCTs.

I thought the Faststar system had a location feature which ensured the correct alignment each time it was removed and replaced.  This just leads to recollimation of the secondary which is straightforward in method.  If you have "Bobs knobs" you can operate them easily whilst looking into the front of the OTA, get every reflection looking concentric which will be near enough before refining it on a star.  If all else fails, I could do it for you, I was a SCT vendor jn my earlier life.   🙂

• Like 1

On 14/08/2022 at 12:43, Rob Astro said:

I need my C9.25 XLT serviced, the ota needs a factory realignment of optical system and a collimation. Is there any dealerships or individuals which can do such work. 

Rother Valley Optics near Sheffield should be able to carry out this work.

John 

A little more info would help. 

Presumably you bought Bobs Knobs to allow you to collimate easier.  And as you mention FastStar you have either a standard or EdgeHD optics SCT. There are instructions on Bobs Knobs page, but you need to read the notes for exceptions for particular scopes, such as a FastStar model.

Have you used the scope in FastStar mode (removed the secondary and now have replaced the secondary), or simply removed the FastStar secondary cover? Sorry if that's a little condescending but it's hard to help without some details.

It can take a while for the collimation procedure to become almost effortless, at first it can be quite daunting. 

We can certainly help you with that here. It's just a little bit puzzling to work out why you need a professional reset when perhaps a visit to a local astronomy group might be a better/cheaper option.

HTH

Steve

10 hours ago, Rob Astro said:

Did you take all the screws out at the same time, doing it one by one you wouldn't have to..

Anyway, if you took the secondary out it still doesn't need a factory realignment as you've only moved the secondary, which is what sct collimation is

It's a little daunting at first but simple after a few goes

8 hours ago, Shimrod said:

Orion Optics offer the sort of servicing you are asking about, but you may want to read elsewhere on here about their customer service before sending anything off to them.

https://www.orionoptics.co.uk/servicing/

I had very fair experience from OO UK when they serviced my Meade SCT. 

Unfortunately, the corrector plate couldn't be removed, so they couldn't do a complete service, but they gave me a discount on the price charged, which was fair enough. My definite feeling is that the scope came back with perceptibly better image presentation afterwards.  

They're based in Newcastle under Lyme, so at least they're the right side of England for you to drop off and collect in person. 

YMMV etc of course. 

8 minutes ago, Gfamily said:

I had very fair experience from OO UK when they serviced my Meade SCT. 

Unfortunately, the corrector plate couldn't be removed, so they couldn't do a complete service, but they gave me a discount on the price charged, which was fair enough. My definite feeling is that the scope came back with perceptibly better image presentation afterwards.  

They're based in Newcastle under Lyme, so at least they're the right side of England for you to drop off and collect in person. 

YMMV etc of course. 

I was going to say OO would do it, any scope, any make..so they say.