Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from Georgia, USA

beetm

My wife bought me a pair of Skymaster 20x80 Binos for my birthday, and it's been cloudy ever since!

Went out tonight for the first time and although conditions weren't ideal saw a ton of stars. So many

in fact that it became a little confusing. I know a few constellations, and thought I could find my way round the sky

but when I look through the eyepieces it's hard to pick out the stars of say, Cygnus. There were probably dozens in my view.

Anyway, I'm one of those guys who will probably learn from reading others posts so I thought I'd just introduce myself.

• Like 2

Welcome and Binoculars are a great way to start or even only astronomise.
My used piece of kit is a pair of Binoculars 10 x50, in my case.
You do have scopes and lot of other well loved and used kit, its a slippery slope this hobby.

Anyway, welcome, ask questions, however silly you feel, we have all been new in the hobbya and we are all still learning.
sharing information and techniques is one of the pleasures of the hobby.

• Like 1

Just wanted to thank everyone for the warm welcome, I've been looking around here and there's a lot of great information for a newbie and some really cool stuff from you experts!

I've been itching to get out and do some more star hopping, but it seems every night is cloudy! I follow 'Clear Outside' and 'Clear Sky Chart' and set my alarm for 4am this morning only to find it was pouring rain! Oh well, back to bed!

18 minutes ago, beetm said:

Just wanted to thank everyone for the warm welcome, I've been looking around here and there's a lot of great information for a newbie and some really cool stuff from you experts!

I've been itching to get out and do some more star hopping, but it seems every night is cloudy! I follow 'Clear Outside' and 'Clear Sky Chart' and set my alarm for 4am this morning only to find it was pouring rain! Oh well, back to bed!

Try Accu weather, it will be on your phone or an app.  It seems to be more accurate then most of the astro based apps.  Especially when it comes to rain and cloud cover.

4 hours ago, Mike Q said:

Try Accu weather, it will be on your phone or an app.  It seems to be more accurate then most of the astro based apps.  Especially when it comes to rain and cloud cover.

Thanks Mike, I'll give it a try!