NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sudden urge to buy another scope

ONIKKINEN

For some reason i have this sensation that i simply must own a refractor on a manual alt-az mount no matter what. Why? I dont know why. I have my hands full with my existing scope and i think it covers most of the aspects in astronomy i need it to, but somehow i still have an urge to get a refractor on an alt-az mount.

I have been wondering why many people seem to have 10 scopes lying around when i have been happy with just 1 and cant think of sound reasoning to own more than maybe 2, at best 3 but now find myself looking for a scope too... Is this how the telescope collection mania begins??

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Pixies said:

And then the next thing you know: 

Craziest thing about this video is that Ed seems to have something smart to say about all of the scopes so he does actually use all of them even if just a little bit.

Can't say for others but when I first went looking I was after a TAL, either the TAL-1 newt or 100 frac. A local TAL-1 was up for sale on the bay but the seller was very non-resposnsive and then it was marked sold days later. Found a NatGeo mini tabletop and while not great it was a tenner so what the heck I thought. It's actually ok after some fettling and a throw/giveaway as far as I'm concerned, sits in its box largely forgotten now.

So then I found a SW130 long tube on EQ2  not far from me and got that while still looking for a TAL. It's been nice to use and the RA motor tracks well if a tad wobbly esp if there's a breeze. Then came up a TAL-M in its wooden case so of course I got it, smaller mirror but easy to pick up and head out to the garden and start viewing. Missing the 25mm eyepiece tho which was a drag.

Just as I started a new job a TAL100RS came up so off to Coventry went I and returned with a proper scope 😉

While looking for an early TAL 25mm plossl for the M I found a local TAL-1 for sale so bought that just for that one eyepiece. Mad I know and I'd planned on selling it on but found a TAL 1.25 inch focuser so adapted it to modern eyepieces. I prefer this with slightly smaller mirror compared to the SW130 as its just more solid and stable.

Then of course starsense explorer equipped scopes came along so I joined the herd and grabbed one, telling myself that it'll get passed on to my daughter/grandkids. It will but I've used it meantime for a few months while they complete moving house (good excuse huh!).

Last came a curiosity purchase of a vintage 3-incher just because. For £20 how could I not 😄 

Now I'm considering selling the SW130-EQ2 on as it never gets used of late and maybe gift the tiny NatGeo to a charity shop. After all there's only so much in the way of glass lenses someone really needs... (no please don't mention my binos or cameras lol)

• Like 3

Each has there use. I use the 8"CC When I want power but not the effort of lifting a monster and cant be bothered to set it . I use my bresser 5 refractor for the sun. And soon to be star clusters with a 2" eyepiece. 

My 10" Newtonian for when I want best performance, Small 70mm refractor again on the sun. Sometimes crescent moon captures get its use and the sun.

They all have there own strengths and weaknesses. And there own personalities 

Edited by neil phillips

4 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

Can never own enough telescopes, so I’ve been told! ;) 

can seem that way as if a nice Telementor came up at the right price I'd be very tempted to add it to the collection, a good classic older japanese scope too perhaps if it was in its wooden box. Then again the conservatory has too many 3-legged things hanging about out there already...

5 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

can seem that way as if a nice Telementor came up at the right price I'd be very tempted to add it to the collection, a good classic older japanese scope too perhaps if it was in its wooden box. Then again the conservatory has too many 3-legged things hanging about out there already...

Oh yes, I have a roomful of things like those too! 😆

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Wiu-Wiu said:

Why change eyepieces if you can use another scope? 

The AZ-EQ6 i have can be dual scope mounted in AZ mode. Hmm, almost sounds like it needs 2 scopes on it...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ONIKKINEN said:

The AZ-EQ6 i have can be dual scope mounted in AZ mode. Hmm, almost sounds like it needs 2 scopes on it...

Of course it does 😉

7F26B654-2BE2-4811-A567-CABC0830EAE3.jpeg

• Like 3

I can relate to this a little.  Maybe not the manual alt-az, but definitely the feeling that I ‘needed’ a refractor.

I think I’ve been seduced over time by phrases like ‘refractor magic’ and ‘pinpoint diamonds on inky black background’ etc.  Somewhere deep down I felt like I had to see for myself.

Anyway, I’ve owned my dob and my Evo for a while now and I was always intending to buy a refractor at some point in the future, but a couple of weeks ago the WO FLT 132 in my signature came up used.  It was way above my budget but still a bargain compared to a brand new one and I thought why wait?  Thankfully my wife is… open to persuasion when presented with a passionate argument 😊

I drove the length of the country to pick it up last weekend and now I can’t wait to get started using it.  Just waiting on a couple more accessories before I can get going, and I still need to sort out a battery or power tank for the AZ-EQ6 I bought with it.

I think I’m probably set for a while now, scope wise.  Accruing eyepieces and gaining more observing experience are my priorities now.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Stu said:

Of course it does 😉

7F26B654-2BE2-4811-A567-CABC0830EAE3.jpeg

Im guessing the black clamp-doodad between the SCT and the skywatcher clamp is some kind of alignment enabling thing? Doesn't look like there is an easy way with the accessories that came with the mount.

7 minutes ago, Philip R said:

Welcome to the ‘I got more than one ‘scope’ club @ONIKKINEN.

Below are some images of my three ‘scopes.post-4682-0-18335100-1394160258_thumb.jpgpost-4682-0-08081900-1394160327_thumb.jpg

and two of my three alt-az mounts...IMG_0580.thumb.JPG.fc6f227bf7e974dd59c6c96ea3f25fe2.JPG

😜🤪

I like the look of these kinds of simple alt-az mounts with 2 scopes on them. Maybe because i want to have the exact opposite experience with visual than with my astrophotography? Pure point and look experience with little to no setup time.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, TheycallmeRiver said:

I can relate to this a little.  Maybe not the manual alt-az, but definitely the feeling that I ‘needed’ a refractor.

I think I’ve been seduced over time by phrases like ‘refractor magic’ and ‘pinpoint diamonds on inky black background’ etc.  Somewhere deep down I felt like I had to see for myself.

Anyway, I’ve owned my dob and my Evo for a while now and I was always intending to buy a refractor at some point in the future, but a couple of weeks ago the WO FLT 132 in my signature came up used.  It was way above my budget but still a bargain compared to a brand new one and I thought why wait?  Thankfully my wife is… open to persuasion when presented with a passionate argument 😊

I drove the length of the country to pick it up last weekend and now I can’t wait to get started using it.  Just waiting on a couple more accessories before I can get going, and I still need to sort out a battery or power tank for the AZ-EQ6 I bought with it.

I think I’m probably set for a while now, scope wise.  Accruing eyepieces and gaining more observing experience are my priorities now.

You just described my feelings perfectly with the buzzwords. I keep reading about this velvet black sky with diamond stars and great contrast and punching above their size in terms of aperture. Have no clue what any of this means and these dont really ring a bell when looking through my newt (it is rather fast for visual with a significant obstruction), but that must be the refractor magic at play.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ONIKKINEN said:

Im guessing the black clamp-doodad between the SCT and the skywatcher clamp is some kind of alignment enabling thing? Doesn't look like there is an easy way with the accessories that came with the mount.

That’s right. It’s a Skywatcher Guidescope mount which worked quite well for alignment. You can align the AZEQ6 in altitude but not Azimuth. I wish someone would come up with a simple adjustment mechanism which is cost effective and gives a few degrees of alignment adjustment in both directions.

• Thanks 1

I survived the urge to get another scope... by buying another scope 😆

This one: https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p11438

Looks right about what i had in mind, and is (suspiciously) cheap. Well see how i get on with it, but since its my first refractor it is guaranteed to also be the best refractor i have ever owned so probably will not be disappointed. I also threw in an AZ5 to complete the grab and go setup. I should be able to stuff all of that into a large backpack and set off wherever, whenever i feel like it without much in the way of excuses to not bring it with me.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, ONIKKINEN said:

For some reason i have this sensation that i simply must own a refractor on a manual alt-az mount no matter what. Why? I dont know why. I have my hands full with my existing scope and i think it covers most of the aspects in astronomy i need it to, but somehow i still have an urge to get a refractor on an alt-az mount. ......................................

Consider looking for a Telementor Equatorial mount ?

It can also be used in an Alt-Az configuration.

Zeiss T-Mount.JPG

PICT0001 (Medium).JPG

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ONIKKINEN said:

I survived the urge to get another scope... by buying another scope 😆

This one: https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p11438

Looks right about what i had in mind, and is (suspiciously) cheap. Well see how i get on with it, but since its my first refractor it is guaranteed to also be the best refractor i have ever owned so probably will not be disappointed. I also threw in an AZ5 to complete the grab and go setup. I should be able to stuff all of that into a large backpack and set off wherever, whenever i feel like it without much in the way of excuses to not bring it with me.

Will be interested to see how you get on with that scope.  It looks very nice.