SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Sudden urge to buy another scope

ONIKKINEN

On 02/07/2022 at 08:07, Mr Spock said:

It is always tempting, no matter how many scopes you have :smile:

I have 50mm, 80mm, 102mm, 120mm fracs, and a 90mm Mak.  But...must...have... 90mm frac!  (Or maybe an 80ED or maybe a 72ED or maybe...)  All alt-az mounts BTW.

I'd cull the herd, but you know that later on I'd regret selling whatever I sold.  🤪

Edited by jjohnson3803

12 hours ago, L8-Nite said:

Consider looking for a Telementor Equatorial mount ?

It can also be used in an Alt-Az configuration.

Zeiss T-Mount.JPG

PICT0001 (Medium).JPG

Looks very nice and sturdy, but perhaps a bit too bulky for what i had in mind. When i bring out the big guns i am going out with an AZ-EQ6 and an 8 inch newtonian with all the related astrophotography gear so there is a mountain of stuff to be hauled already. The ED90 on the AZ5 will just tag along for the ride for little to no extra gear to be hauled so i reckon it might actually get used more than the big guy because its easier to handle.

1 hour ago, ONIKKINEN said:

Looks very nice and sturdy, but perhaps a bit too bulky for what i had in mind. When i bring out the big guns i am going out with an AZ-EQ6 and an 8 inch newtonian with all the related astrophotography gear so there is a mountain of stuff to be hauled already. The ED90 on the AZ5 will just tag along for the ride for little to no extra gear to be hauled so i reckon it might actually get used more than the big guy because its easier to handle.

👍  Keep it all as simple and streamlined as possible

I have ended up with quite a few scopes because they are all good in their ways and I struggle to find the time to sell things.

I had in mind to keep 4 scopes...

72mm refractor for travel and for whole disk solar binoviewing.

102mm refractor as my most used do-anything grab and go scope.

A 8" sct for lunar and doubles.

A 14" Newtonian for when I want the best views and I have the energy to carry it outside.

I think that covers all the bases well.

...but my St80 is ridiculously light and is more aperture than my 72mm refractor so it sometimes is a better bet. My st120 is better than my 102mm refractor on dim dsos and on large targets, and my 127mm Maksutov is better on the moon than the 102mm refractor. So everything still gets used over time despite me having the intention to sell a few scopes for quite a while and never succeeding.

• Like 2

My best guesstimate is that I have a 90mm Celestron refractor on an EQ1 tripod (hate EQ), a 102 Bresser refractor AR-xs on an Az5+Quark Chromosphere filter (my solar scope), Skywatcher Heritage 130P (mini Dob) and a Celestron 8Se.

I'm sure I'm forgetting one.

Binoculars.....don't get me started.

Edited by LukeSkywatcher

I see how it is, a scope for every occasion and why not a couple of scopes for the same occasion when you feel like it. I ordered the rich field scope because thats what i wanted but then figured i might as well use it for solar and get solar observing equipment for that. But then i of course thought that what if i had a long refractor too to be better suited for solar and maybe lunar and maybe a maksutov for plan... i have to STOP 🤣.

Thankfully my disposable income has been well and truly disposed of so not even a sliver of a chance that there will be another scope so soon.

I'm always looking at shiny new things, lol. I've triple mounted my solar setup but now thinking perhaps I'll change one scope on my setup from an 80ed to a 150mm ed scope. My night scope's are a C11 and a 12inch f4 newt. I've accumulated a few scopes but with grandchildren growing up in time I'll give some to them if they're interested. Question is, can you have to many scopes. I use all mine, particularly the solar triple scopes for different wavelengths.