NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello from Harrogate

James_P

Hello,

I've always had an interest in astronomy but it's only just now that I'm in my 50s that I'm thinking of a getting a decent 'scope.

I'm currently thinking of visual since I'm not sure I have the patience and stamina to drive out into the Dales and then stand outside for long periods for astrophotography.  

cheers

James

• Like 2

Welcome James to SGL, were practically neighbours 🙂 

Although dark sites are far better for any astronomy (whether observing or imaging) it is not essential for astrophotography. and in fact most images on SGL will not be from dark sites at all and some from in and around very light polluted cities so you can still get some great images of many targets from your back garden or patio.
However, which ever route you eventually take starting with visual is probably the best any way
I started thinking I would only do 
visual and bought a secondhand dobsonian, and found that a great start to learn where some of the things are in the sky and get some great views, eventually I did then cross over to doing mainly AP.

Steve

Hi James.
Another welcome to SGL.
I think you are best starting visual. Get to know how handle equipment and find things in the dark!
If at some point you want to start on photo, it can be as simple as a smartphone to the scope eyepiece.
It can also be a real money pit and evenings spent seeing nothing.
Visual also allows you to share eyepiece views, which I find very rewarding.

Ask lots of questions and enjoy the experience.

David.

Welcome aboard SGL James. Good to have you with us.

It's never too late to start taking a look at the universe through your own eyes. I live in the light polluted skies of Teesside and there's still plenty of cool stuff to see. Mind you, you'll definitely see more if you do get the chance to venture to darker, clearer skies occasionally. I'm purely visual as I'm sure I wouldn't have the patience for the AP game.

There's stacks of information on here about every facet of astronomy, so enjoy getting stuck in. You'll also quickly realise how friendly the place is and that there's no such thing as a daft question.

Cheers,

Mark

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thank you all for the warm welcome.  Having given this a lot of thought, I'm 99% certain my interests are visual rather than astrophotography, so I'm on the lookout for a secondhand 8-10'' Newt. Just missed one advertised locally but, I'll keep looking...